    back!
    Cheers.
    C.C.
    Champagne Charlie, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Champagne Charlie

    ICee Guest

    Champagne Charlie wrote:
    > I was asked to look at a 'Tiny' PC tonight and found that the thing
    > would only dispaly the 'Tiny' logo and then the screen stayed like
    > this. There was no hard drive activity, and the floppy-drive didn't
    > even atempt to read the floppy I put into it. For all intants and
    > purposes, I might have been looking at a 'dead' PC, but the monitor
    > 'does' display the logo. Win ME did boot up one time tonight for
    > app., 30 seconds then blanked out. Mainly, the problem is getting it
    > to read the floppy drive, boot the hard drive etc., but nothing like
    > this is happening. The beep-code sounds the 1 - long, 8 - short
    > series of beeps (AMI) and I saw on the internet that this means
    > 'Display/Retrace test failed'. The only problem is....'I don't know
    > what this means! I swapped the video adapter for a known good
    > one....'same beep-code was present. I tried it too with NO video
    > adapter...'same beep-code! (As expected). One weird thing about this
    > PC is that it has one of thoseON/OFF switches which when pressed,
    > needs to be held IN for app., 5 seconds before the PC powers OFF. I
    > wondered if this has anything to do with the problem. Anyone who can
    > help shed some light on this one....'please post back!
    > Cheers.
    > C.C.

    I checked the AMI BIOS beep codes here:
    http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html
    and it shows 8 beeps as "bad video card or memory". I don't know if
    that means memory on the video card, or system memory. Try reseating
    the system memory and, if possible, move to another slot, or try another
    stick of memory.
    Holding the power button in for 5 seconds to power off is normal when
    there is no OS running.
    ICee, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Champagne Charlie

    GHalleck Guest

    Champagne Charlie wrote:
    > I was asked to look at a 'Tiny' PC tonight and found that the thing would
    > only dispaly the 'Tiny' logo and then the screen stayed like this. There was
    > no hard drive activity, and the floppy-drive didn't even atempt to read the
    > floppy I put into it. For all intants and purposes, I might have been
    > looking at a 'dead' PC, but the monitor 'does' display the logo. Win ME did
    > boot up one time tonight for app., 30 seconds then blanked out. Mainly, the
    > problem is getting it to read the floppy drive, boot the hard drive etc.,
    > but nothing like this is happening. The beep-code sounds the 1 - long, 8 -
    > short series of beeps (AMI) and I saw on the internet that this means
    > 'Display/Retrace test failed'. The only problem is....'I don't know what
    > this means! I swapped the video adapter for a known good one....'same
    > beep-code was present. I tried it too with NO video adapter...'same
    > beep-code! (As expected). One weird thing about this PC is that it has one
    > of thoseON/OFF switches which when pressed, needs to be held IN for app., 5
    > seconds before the PC powers OFF. I wondered if this has anything to do with
    > the problem. Anyone who can help shed some light on this one....'please post
    > back!
    > Cheers.
    > C.C.

    AMI is pretty consistent in its error reporting. 8 short
    beeps usually indicates a problem with the video card, viz.
    video memory faults. And, BTW, there is nothing wrong with
    the On/Off button...just the way ATX power supplies are
    designed and meant to be used.
    GHalleck, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Champagne Charlie

    Plato Guest

    Champagne Charlie wrote:

    > beep-code! (As expected). One weird thing about this PC is that it has one
    > of thoseON/OFF switches which when pressed, needs to be held IN for app., 5
    > seconds before the PC powers OFF. I wondered if this has anything to do with

    100% normal. Often in the bios one may set the time to whatever you
    want.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 9, 2004
  5. "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Champagne Charlie wrote:
    > >
    > > beep-code! (As expected). One weird thing about this PC is that it has

    one
    > > of thoseON/OFF switches which when pressed, needs to be held IN for

    app., 5
    > > seconds before the PC powers OFF. I wondered if this has anything to do

    with

    > 100% normal. Often in the bios one may set the time to whatever you
    > want.
    >

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Thanks for the info guys.
    Could someone tell me why it is that I can see the 'Tiny' computer's logo,
    but nothing after that?
    The screen either blanks out, or just displays the logo...'like it had
    crashed, but it hasn't, the rest of the system is just not kicking
    in....'i.e. the hard drive, floppy etc.,. The trays on the DVD drive and
    writer still open and close. Is this significant?
    I swapped out the TNT2 card and put in a Voodoo 3Dfx....'the same beep code
    was present. Does this look like the motherboard needs to be replaced? The
    hardware IS getting power. but nothing works. I back-probed everything and
    the voltages are all there from mobo to all drives.
    TIA.
    C.C.
    Champagne Charlie, Feb 9, 2004