AMD's new killer cpu

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by gimp, Jun 27, 2005.

  1. gimp

    gimp Guest

    gimp, Jun 27, 2005

  2. gimp

    thing2 Guest

    gimp wrote:
    > AthlonFX-57 2.8GHZ :)
    >
    > reviewed on anandtech:
    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2456&p=1
    >
    > heh only US$1,031...

    And that is in quantity, not for 1 off.

    prices will drop....the bottom end cpu's will either get cheaper or stop
    being sold....all good for us.

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Jun 28, 2005

  3. gimp

    ~misfit~ Guest

    thing2 wrote:
    > gimp wrote:
    >> AthlonFX-57 2.8GHZ :)
    >>
    >> reviewed on anandtech:
    >> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2456&p=1
    >>
    >> heh only US$1,031...

    > And that is in quantity, not for 1 off.
    >
    > prices will drop....the bottom end cpu's will either get cheaper or
    > stop being sold....all good for us.

    Except for the "stop being sold" thing. I know a few people who are looking
    to upgrade Socket A systems running (for example) Palomino XP1600+'s, but
    left it a bit late. Especially those limited to a 133MHz FSB. Unless you can
    get 'old stock' you're SOOL. You can still buy the faster Bartons but
    they're disappearing fast and need a 166MHz FSB minimum.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2005
  4. gimp

    thing2 Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > thing2 wrote:
    >
    >>gimp wrote:
    >>
    >>>AthlonFX-57 2.8GHZ :)
    >>>
    >>>reviewed on anandtech:
    >>>http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2456&p=1
    >>>
    >>>heh only US$1,031...

    >>And that is in quantity, not for 1 off.
    >>
    >>prices will drop....the bottom end cpu's will either get cheaper or
    >>stop being sold....all good for us.

    > Except for the "stop being sold" thing. I know a few people who are looking
    > to upgrade Socket A systems running (for example) Palomino XP1600+'s, but
    > left it a bit late. Especially those limited to a 133MHz FSB. Unless you can
    > get 'old stock' you're SOOL. You can still buy the faster Bartons but
    > they're disappearing fast and need a 166MHz FSB minimum.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    So it happens, leave it too long and you are stuffed.....big deal.

    I dueled my p3-1000 just before it went off market, so i got a speed
    boost for less than half what the original cpu cost.....it was a gamble
    and i almost left it til too late...

    Anybody that concerned should be watching the market closely and be
    prepared to buy when they think the last & lowest cost opportunity is
    there....

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Jun 28, 2005
  5. gimp

    ~misfit~ Guest

    thing2 wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> thing2 wrote:

    >>> And that is in quantity, not for 1 off.
    >>>
    >>> prices will drop....the bottom end cpu's will either get cheaper or
    >>> stop being sold....all good for us.

    >> Except for the "stop being sold" thing. I know a few people who are
    >> looking to upgrade Socket A systems running (for example) Palomino
    >> XP1600+'s, but left it a bit late. Especially those limited to a
    >> 133MHz FSB. Unless you can get 'old stock' you're SOOL. You can
    >> still buy the faster Bartons but they're disappearing fast and need
    >> a 166MHz FSB minimum. --

    > So it happens, leave it too long and you are stuffed.....big deal.

    Ok, are you menstruating?

    > I dueled my p3-1000

    Did it win or did you?

    > just before it went off market, so i got a speed
    > boost for less than half what the original cpu cost.....it was a
    > gamble and i almost left it til too late...
    >
    > Anybody that concerned should be watching the market closely and be
    > prepared to buy when they think the last & lowest cost opportunity is
    > there....

    Yeah, I know and I've (mostly) managed alright myself. I'm refering to the
    people (usually friends/aquantainces) who come to me and ask if I can speed
    up their PCs without replacing the whole thing. They don't watch the market,
    and to get a CPU off a place like Trademe they'd end up paying about as much
    as they would for a new CPU and half the cost of a new mobo combined. Unless
    they were *very* lucky.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2005