  1. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Does a 64 CPU actually do anything useful that an ordinary one doesn't?
    ian field, May 27, 2007

  2. ian field

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in message
    news:kzm6i.2424$...
    > Does a 64 CPU actually do anything useful that an ordinary one doesn't?

    IF you have a 64 bit operating system, and IF you have software written to
    take advantage of the 64 bit CPU, yes. Otherwise, you might see a small
    improvement in speed, but not enough to be significant. I don't do Sempron
    CPUs though - they're the low end of the AMD line (designed to be
    competitive with the Intel Celeron). I prefer a dual core processor instead.
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/127
    WhzzKdd, May 27, 2007

  3. ian field

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 21:17:04 GMT, ian field wrote:

    >Does a 64 CPU actually do anything useful that an ordinary one doesn't?

    You can run a 64bit OS, and 64bit apps.

    Me
    why?, May 28, 2007
  4. ian field

    ian field Guest

    > On Sun, 27 May 2007 21:17:04 GMT, ian field wrote:
    >
    >>Does a 64 CPU actually do anything useful that an ordinary one doesn't?

    > You can run a 64bit OS, and 64bit apps.
    >
    > Me

    Whoopee!
    ian field, May 28, 2007
  5. ian field

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 16:24:52 GMT, ian field wrote:

    >> On Sun, 27 May 2007 21:17:04 GMT, ian field wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does a 64 CPU actually do anything useful that an ordinary one doesn't?

    >> You can run a 64bit OS, and 64bit apps.
    >>
    >> Me

    >Whoopee!

    Well if you say so.

    Having tried a few,

    Win XP 64bit is fine.

    Vista Ultimate 64bit less fine, eats main RAM for video if your video
    card isn't up to it. That's on 1.5GB will see what it's like on Wed when
    1.5GB us upgraded to 2.

    Of course in either case drivers can be an issue and 16bit apps won't
    run, which means if you have a 32bit app and a 16bit installer it's also
    fun.

    Fedora 6 seems a bit clunky, still to try a few others.

    Me
    why?, May 28, 2007
  6. ian field

    ian field Guest

    > On Mon, 28 May 2007 16:24:52 GMT, ian field wrote:
    >

    >>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> You can run a 64bit OS, and 64bit apps.
    >>>
    >>> Me

    >>Whoopee!
    >>

    > Well if you say so.

    Would you have preferred "Whoo Hoo!"?

    At the moment plain old XP is good enough, I was planning to try out some
    Linux OSs but none of the distributions I've downloaded were 64 bit as all
    my machines at the time were Athlons & Durons. The upgrade wasn't actually
    planned, I'd bought a second hand machine to replace my old 1300 Duron which
    was getting a bit flaky then had to return the replacement because of
    problems. The seller didn't have anything else of the same value so I paid
    an extra £20 and got a brand new board.
    ian field, May 28, 2007
  7. ian field

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 21:43:52 GMT, ian field wrote:

    >> On Mon, 28 May 2007 16:24:52 GMT, ian field wrote:
    >>

    >>>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>>Whoopee!
    >>>

    >> Well if you say so.

    >Would you have preferred "Whoo Hoo!"?

    Much better.

    >At the moment plain old XP is good enough, I was planning to try out some
    >Linux OSs but none of the distributions I've downloaded were 64 bit as all

    Many are now, it's all I download now (64bit) anyway.

    >my machines at the time were Athlons & Durons. The upgrade wasn't actually
    >planned, I'd bought a second hand machine to replace my old 1300 Duron which
    >was getting a bit flaky then had to return the replacement because of
    >problems. The seller didn't have anything else of the same value so I paid
    >an extra £20 and got a brand new board.

    I am back to thinking about what's next. Can't make my mind up, except
    for maybe 512MB PCI-X graphics and 64bit of course.

    The current 64bit box may go 2003 Server , AD and file server.

    Me
    why?, May 28, 2007