AMD64 processors

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Torrey Lauer, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. Torrey Lauer

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    I'm looking at changing the MB and proc on an HP Pavilion that I have. I've
    been looking at AMD Athlon 64 procs, but am a little confused now. I'm sure
    the smart people on this NG will be able to clarify this for me.

    It appears that AMD has Athlon 64 procs in socket 939 and 754. What is the
    difference and which one is better?

    Also, would it be better to go with an Opteron or stick with the Athlon 64?
    I'll be using the desktop for business mostly with approximately eleven
    applications at any one time running simultaneously and two of them are
    graphics intensive. Opterons run all the same apps that Athlons do, right?
    Opterons aren't like Itanium procs that have be written specifically for it,
    does it?

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Jun 30, 2005

  2. Maybe this link will help with differentiation and value:
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Sockets.htm
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 30, 2005

  3. Socket 754 is cheaper, but end of line. All the interesting new stuff,
    including dual core processors, is happening in Socket 939. From what you're
    describing, you sound like a candidate for dual core for sure, so I'd opt for
    either Athlon 64x2 on Socket 939, or Socket 940 and Opteron.

    Opterons are the same technology as Athlon 64, but focused more on servers
    and high end workstations. You can find single and dual socket Opteron
    motherboards fairly easily, and they will also support dual core processors,
    giving you 2-4 effective processors.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 30, 2005
  4. Torrey Lauer

    M. Murcek Guest

    You are biting off a big piece there. HP makes their chassis just
    proprietary enough that you will probably need a grinder at least to make a
    commodity mainboard fit. Better to sell the HP on eBay and use the money to
    buy a white box case for the new mainboard. There are definitely people out
    there who want the HP mainboard (if it works) to repair a dead HP system.
    And you'll have plenty to do making x64 work for everyday use without
    picking up a grinder.

    M. Murcek, Jun 30, 2005
  5. Torrey Lauer

    M. Murcek Guest

    Also see replys to the "AMD part numbers" post below for links to sites that
    show what processors use what sockets. Generally, it's mostly 939 now,
    unless you are using Opterons.

    M. Murcek, Jun 30, 2005
  6. Torrey Lauer

    Rick Guest

    The socket 754 Athlon 64s were the first iteration and AMD moved them to
    socket 939 after about 1 year. The Athlon FX was originally a socket
    940, like the Opterons, but are now socket 939. The socket 754 Athlon
    64s will be phased out, I think it's later this year and will be
    replaced with a 754 pin Sempron that will eventually have x64 extensions.

    If you're going to running multiple applications, you may well want to
    look at a 2 or 4 Opteron board. The Opterons and the Athlon 64 are also
    available in a dual-core configuration,

    If you started with a dual Opteron board now, you could upgrade to
    dual-core CPUs down the road.

    Current rumor has it that the Athlon 64 and Athlon FX will migrate to a
    new socket 940, different that the current one for the Opterons. And,
    the Opterons will migrate to 1200+ (I forgot the exact number) pin
    configuration next year.

    Rick, Jun 30, 2005
  7. Torrey Lauer

    John Barnes Guest

    The 939 is the coming standard and supports dual channel memory. Also
    supports the new x2. I would use this link and you can then go to the
    opteron page from the list on the left.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^10248,00.html

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005
  8. Torrey Lauer

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree that you will probably NOT get a standard form factor motherboard to
    fit the HP-Compaq cases as they always have in the past used non standard
    sizes to discourage this. I can remember when they even had their own sized
    PS2 plugs on the mice and keyboards. Good luck, but you will probably just
    need a new case and you probably can transfer most of the internals over to
    the new case. I did from a Compaq years ago.

    John Barnes, Jun 30, 2005
  9. Good point. I spent a lot of time, and energy, trying to recycle a Dell
    workstation. Finally gave it up as a bad business. And bought a nice, quiet,
    Sonata case. And made a decision to never, ever, buy another Dell. The ONLY
    thing I could salvage out of that box were a couple of noisy SCSI hard
    drives. That I decided not to use because of the noise.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 30, 2005
  10. I chose dual Opteron because I could not afford an Athlon FX or the even low
    memory bandwidth Athlon 64 ; at least I had 8 sockets and could populate up
    to 32GB ; 16 GB could run at PC3200, and the cost substantially less than a
    4-DIMM board (it pays for the motherboard several times). I will certainly
    move to socket F (1207 pins) as soon as available, and use this as a personal
    computer; I use mostly RAM disks, and sick of hard drive slowness and
    reliability problems (FCAL, U320 raid, etc...); in my view, hard disks are
    only needed to run benchmarks...

    That's where I always need more memory capacity, and don't buy these stories
    about unnecessary memory bandwidth. Same with dual processors ; even when you
    use monoprocessing applications, the OS has plenty to do with your second
    processor.

    Hopefully JEDEC will maintain the pinout compatibility on DDR3, and we'll
    see higher densities on the Socket F Opteron, possibly allowing 64GB per
    processor. Also the dual cores will certainly benefit from a 256-bit path to
    memory...

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 30, 2005
  11. You have lots of choices. Perhaps an Athlon 64 x2 (dual core) might be all
    you need. Forget about socket 754. Given the software list you describe, I
    suggest you look at either an Opteron or Athlon dual-core solution.
    (dual-core means two cpus on the same die). Choose the new mobo
    accordingly. Dual-core technology has just entered the consumer channel and
    it is great stuff. It is also possible to get a dual-Opteron x2 system
    which would amount to running four cpu's. That might be over-kill but worth
    looking at if the budget isn't too tight.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 1, 2005