AMD64 processors & Enhanced Virus Protection

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John John, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. John John

    John John Guest

    What's the deal with that? AMD says:

    "Enhanced Virus Protection in combination with Windows® XP SP2 sets
    portions of system memory aside as “data only” meaning that any code
    resident in these areas may not be executed, only read from or written to.

    AMD’s Enhanced Virus Protection acts as a preventative measure causing
    the virus to be localized, short-lived, and non-contagious, eventually
    being flushed from system memory.

    All AMD64 processors, ... are enabled with Enhanced Virus Protection..."

    Is this smoke and mirrors? In real life what, if anything useful, does
    this do and what kind of hit does the processing power & memory take for
    this "convenience"? Can it be disabled?

    John

    John John, Dec 22, 2005

  2. It has data execution protection to prevent the types of viruses that inject
    code into a data stream from carrying out an attack. It does not address
    all forms of virus attacks by any means, but it helps.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Yes, you can turn it off, but I wouldn't recommend, the technology in XP SP2
    and XP Professional x64 SP1 that AMD is referring to is Data Execution
    Prevention, which helps protect against damage from viruses and other
    security threats.

    Click Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced, under
    Performance click Settings > Data Execution Prevention tab, and check out
    "How does it work?" link
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 22, 2005
  4. John John

    John John Guest

    Yeah, that is clear enough, but if, for example, the workstation is in a
    secure environment without foreign threats, what use is it and will it
    affect workstation performance?

    John

    John John, Dec 22, 2005
  5. John John

    John John Guest

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:

    > Yes, you can turn it off, but I wouldn't recommend, the technology in XP SP2
    > and XP Professional x64 SP1 that AMD is referring to is Data Execution
    > Prevention, which helps protect against damage from viruses and other
    > security threats.

    Hmmm... I'm going to have to read up on this "technology". At first
    thought I have to say that I am a bit "underwhelmed" by this new
    approach to securing the Operating System. That's all I'll say until I
    dig deeper, in all my years of using all flavours of Windows I haver
    never had a virus and sometimes I scratch my head at some of the things
    that Microsoft does, like their firewall for example, a bit
    underwhelming to say the least. But, maybe tomorrow I'll have crow stew
    for supper :)

    > Click Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced, under
    > Performance click Settings > Data Execution Prevention tab, and check out
    > "How does it work?" link

    Can't do that, I don't yet have a 64 bit system, I've always been an
    Intel convert but there will be no "Intel Inside" my 64 platform, unless
    something drastic happens at intel! For the moment I am familiarizing
    myself with the AMD chip and board architecture.

    John

    John John, Dec 22, 2005
  6. Its the opposite here, I have had too many viruses on Windows. And its from
    bad practice you know, opening unknown attachments, visiting unique websites
    ;) not operating in a limited account. I think Microsoft and AMD should be
    commended for taking the steps to really secure the computing experience for
    the user at all levels.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 22, 2005
  7. As blaster and a score of other attacks have shown us, what we think of as a
    secure environment, isn't. ;)

    As for performance? It doesn't affect it at all.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 22, 2005
  8. John John

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi John John, the same applies to 32 bit versions of XP and DEP. For me it
    has worked flawlessly....
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Dec 22, 2005
  9. John John

    John Barnes Guest

    Are you talking about those that get thru your Symantec A/V, Andre. I've
    had roughly 50 also, but so far I haven't had any get thru. 95% have been
    from European (Lisbon) or South American (Venezuelan) e-mail correspondents.
    Just my experience.

    John Barnes, Dec 22, 2005
  10. I think so, does yours say Quarantine failed?

    Andre Da Costa, Dec 22, 2005
  11. John John

    John Barnes Guest

    All have warned about the virus, e-mail attachments, I chose clean and then
    delete, the 2 websites, I got off the website and chose clean. I have no
    reason to quarantine any from these sources. I do keep a virus on a floppy
    so I can check out any changes in my A/V. I check to see if it catches it
    in the drive, and then turn off the A/V and mail it to myself, then turn
    back on and make sure it catches it in the e-mail also. All but 1 were with
    TrendMicro on x86, but 1 was with Avast on x64. You have confirmed my
    opinion of Symantec/Norton. Thanks

    John Barnes, Dec 22, 2005
  12. shame on you. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 22, 2005
  13. John John

    Bo Persson Guest

    "John John" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Yeah, that is clear enough, but if, for example, the workstation is
    > in a secure environment without foreign threats, what use is it and
    > will it affect workstation performance?

    If there are no threats, it's of no use. :)

    On the other hand, there is no performance difference at all. This
    "new technology" just sets a protection bit for memory pages, so that
    data reads and writes are unaffected, but instruction fetches are
    blocked.

    This stops some attempts to execute data as (virus) code. That's all
    there is to it.

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Dec 22, 2005
  14. I will go stand in my corner now. ;)

    Andre Da Costa, Dec 22, 2005
  15. John John

    John Barnes Guest

    I think you need to move into your corner with 50 viruses. You're
    contagious. :) Consider yourself quarantined.

    John Barnes, Dec 22, 2005
  16. John John

    John John Guest

    That's understandable. No two users have the same need when it comes to
    computers and no two users have the same work requirements. Quite easy
    to understand that someone like an IT support person for example, would
    have to accept all kinds of files from all kinds of people to properly
    do his work. It's easy for me to say that I haven't had any virus or
    others because I'm not in the IT support business, I just do IT for
    myself, my company machines, and certain relatives, friends and
    neighbours. Some of my customers send me drawings and specifications in
    their email but they always call before doing so to discuss the project
    and let me know that they are sending the file. If an unexpected email
    with an attachment comes from a known customer I usually call them and
    ask what it's about, on a few occasion my call alerted the customer that
    he had a virus on his system. All other emails with attachments never
    make it onto my machines, I just delete them at the mail server. Some
    of my friends are upset when they ask about their "presents" but I
    explain to them that I accept no attachments without prior notice and
    that I am not interested in their funny jokes and "porny" cartoons that
    they see on the internet or get from other friends. I can find my way
    to these "porny" jokes and cartoons by myself if I want to see that.
    Most of them are oblivious and just forward the attachments to everyone
    in their address book! Finally, to end this long blabbering, I don't
    discard luck as a contributing factor to my virus free record.

    John

    John John, Dec 22, 2005
  17. John John

    John John Guest

    Thanks for the information Charlie. Even when the blaster pandemic
    happened none of my NT4's or W2K's were affected. Luck and safe hex I
    guess. My firewall was going nuts reporting an intrusion attempt about
    every 5 seconds! But it did its job and I was spared.

    John

    John John, Dec 22, 2005
  18. John John

    John John Guest

    Thanks for the info Bo.

    John

    John John, Dec 22, 2005
  19. John John

    John John Guest

    Psst... whisper... "don't tell Charlie I haven't had or used AV software
    for the last five or six years. I might have to stand on my head in my
    corner if he finds out! so it's just between you and me."

    John

    John John, Dec 22, 2005
  20. John John

    John Barnes Guest

    BUT, Andre has the expensive corporate version of Symantec A/V and still has
    had 50 viruses skip by. He should take your advice and save his JMD

    John Barnes, Dec 22, 2005