    combo?

    What are everyones views?
    thanks

    *** JB, Aug 16, 2004

  2. *** JB

    Fitz Guest

    Prices on the AMD64 have dropped considerably since I bought mine. Given the
    choice, I would certainly opt for the 64. Even without a 64bit OS, it's an
    improvement over the Athlon chip because of the way it handles memory.

    If you do go with the AMD64, get quality memory, and I would suggest a
    minimum of PC3500. If you read the AMD forums, you'll see a lot of post
    concerning memory problems. I had to change Kingston HyperX PC3200 to
    Mushkin Level 1 PC3500 to stop random reboots (regardless of application).
    The system is now stable, and runs very well.

    Fitz

    Fitz, Aug 16, 2004

  3. *** JB

    Avenger© Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:51:10 +0100, "*** JB"
    <> wrote:

    >Is it worth me paying a little bit more for an AMD64 Processor/Mainboard
    >combo

    Yes

    --

    Avenger©

    "Put the CAT out to reply"
    *I DETEST Spam - A Spam Hater since 1951*

    Avenger©, Aug 16, 2004
  4. *** JB

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "*** JB" <> wrote in

    > Is it worth me paying a little bit more for an AMD64
    > Processor/Mainboard combo or should I stick with the slightly older
    > 3000+ processer / mainboard combo?

    Definitely worth it. Onboard memory controller alone makes it worth it.
    And the idea that one day you may have a 64-bit OS and a 64-bit version of
    Doom3 or a 64-bit Windows port of UT2k4 is just icing on the cake.

    Jim Berwick, Aug 16, 2004
  5. On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:42:22 -0800, Fitz wrote:

    > Prices on the AMD64 have dropped considerably since I bought mine. Given the
    > choice, I would certainly opt for the 64. Even without a 64bit OS, it's an
    > improvement over the Athlon chip because of the way it handles memory.
    >
    > If you do go with the AMD64, get quality memory, and I would suggest a
    > minimum of PC3500. If you read the AMD forums, you'll see a lot of post
    > concerning memory problems. I had to change Kingston HyperX PC3200 to
    > Mushkin Level 1 PC3500 to stop random reboots (regardless of application).
    > The system is now stable, and runs very well.
    >
    > Fitz

    The Athlon 64 is screaming fast. For a desktop I'd go with a 939 pin part
    which has twice the memory bandwidth and a lower load on each bus (2
    rather than 3 dimms). I have an A64 laptop (754 pin, 3400+), all my
    benchmarking shows it to be equivalent to a 4-5GHz Xeon (depending on
    application). Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 edition installed without a problem.

    General Schvantzkoph, Aug 16, 2004
  6. *** JB

    JK Guest

    Are you building a new pc, or do you already have an XP3000+?
    What types of software do you run? If you run only business
    applications, then an XP3000+ would be fine. If you run multimedia,
    games, or other large bandwidth applications, then you should get
    an Athlon 64.

    JK, Aug 16, 2004
  7. *** JB

    *** JB Guest

    cheers for all the advice guys - looks like i'll go for the AMD64 Combo soon
    :)

    *** JB, Aug 16, 2004
  8. *** JB

    -- Guest

    General Schvantzkoph <> wrote in

    > The Athlon 64 is screaming fast. For a desktop I'd go with a 939 pin part
    > which has twice the memory bandwidth and a lower load on each bus (2
    > rather than 3 dimms). I have an A64 laptop (754 pin, 3400+), all my
    > benchmarking shows it to be equivalent to a 4-5GHz Xeon (depending on
    > application). Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 edition installed without a problem.

    Which laptop did you finally decide to get?

    Thanks.

    --, Aug 17, 2004
  9. On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 02:44:50 +0000, -- wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph <> wrote in
    >
    >> The Athlon 64 is screaming fast. For a desktop I'd go with a 939 pin part
    >> which has twice the memory bandwidth and a lower load on each bus (2
    >> rather than 3 dimms). I have an A64 laptop (754 pin, 3400+), all my
    >> benchmarking shows it to be equivalent to a 4-5GHz Xeon (depending on
    >> application). Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 edition installed without a problem.
    >>

    > Which laptop did you finally decide to get?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I got the Compaq R3000z with an Athlon 64 3400+, 1G RAM, 60G drive,
    1680x1050 screen and built in 802.11G. The 802.11G card was free
    otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it since it's useless (no Linux drivers
    and no 64 bit Windows drivers which are necessary for ndiswrapper). The
    Compaq R3000z and the HP zv5000z are identical except for color. The HP
    cost $200 more, not clear why. The big screen is nice but It makes the
    laptop a little unwieldy, I think if I had it to do over I'd get the
    smaller screen. The one thing I absolutely would not buy again is the HP
    carrying case, it's not much better than a shopping bag. The case came in
    a bundle with a mouse and a USB cable, skip it and just get a third
    party mouse and case.

    I put Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 edition on it. It installed without to much
    fiddling. The only thing that required any hacking was the XFConfig file
    to get it to support the 1680x1050 screen. If you get the standard screen
    it will work right out of the box. The other thing that I had to do was
    build a 2.6.8.1 kernel to get the Cool & Quiet clock speed control to
    work. That was very simple to do. Once you have a kernel that supports
    Cool & QUiet, switching clock speeds is trivial, just echo the clock speed
    into the scaling_setspeed file.

    echo 2200000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

    General Schvantzkoph, Aug 17, 2004
  10. *** JB

    Duddits Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:11:22 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
    <> wrote:

    >The HP
    >cost $200 more, not clear why.

    Check again. They are within `$25.00 if identical options are selected.

    regards

    Dud

    --

    Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter
    when they come at you rapidly.

    Duddits, Aug 17, 2004
  11. On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:27:59 -0400, Duddits wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:11:22 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>The HP
    >>cost $200 more, not clear why.

    > Check again. They are within `$25.00 if identical options are selected.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Dud

    Not even close,

    With the following features
    Athlon 64 3400+
    XP Pro
    1680x1050 LCD
    64MB Nvidia
    1G DDR (2x512)
    60GB drive
    DVD + CDRW
    54g 802.11b,g
    12 Cell Lithium battery

    Compaq R3000z $1523
    HP xv5000z $1823

    That's $300 difference not $25

    General Schvantzkoph, Aug 17, 2004
  12. *** JB

    > On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 02:44:50 +0000, -- wrote:
    >
    >> General Schvantzkoph <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> The Athlon 64 is screaming fast. For a desktop I'd go with a 939 pin
    >>> part which has twice the memory bandwidth and a lower load on each
    >>> bus (2 rather than 3 dimms). I have an A64 laptop (754 pin, 3400+),
    >>> all my benchmarking shows it to be equivalent to a 4-5GHz Xeon
    >>> (depending on application). Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 edition installed
    >>> without a problem.
    >>>

    >> Which laptop did you finally decide to get?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > I got the Compaq R3000z with an Athlon 64 3400+, 1G RAM, 60G drive,
    > 1680x1050 screen and built in 802.11G. The 802.11G card was free
    > otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it since it's useless (no Linux
    > drivers and no 64 bit Windows drivers which are necessary for
    > ndiswrapper). The Compaq R3000z and the HP zv5000z are identical
    > except for color. The HP cost $200 more, not clear why. The big screen
    > is nice but It makes the laptop a little unwieldy, I think if I had it
    > to do over I'd get the smaller screen. The one thing I absolutely
    > would not buy again is the HP carrying case, it's not much better than
    > a shopping bag. The case came in a bundle with a mouse and a USB
    > cable, skip it and just get a third party mouse and case.
    >
    > I put Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 edition on it. It installed without to much
    > fiddling. The only thing that required any hacking was the XFConfig
    > file to get it to support the 1680x1050 screen. If you get the
    > standard screen it will work right out of the box. The other thing
    > that I had to do was build a 2.6.8.1 kernel to get the Cool & Quiet
    > clock speed control to work. That was very simple to do. Once you have
    > a kernel that supports Cool & QUiet, switching clock speeds is
    > trivial, just echo the clock speed into the scaling_setspeed file.
    >
    > echo 2200000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

    Thanks for the detailed report. Two questions:

    1) How noisy or quite is this laptop?
    2) What are your impressions of the nVidia video card?

    Thanks again.

    --, Aug 18, 2004

  13. > Thanks for the detailed report. Two questions:

    > 1) How noisy or quite is this laptop?
    > 2) What are your impressions of the nVidia video card?
    >
    > Thanks again.

    When the clock speed is cranked up to 2.2GHz and it's crunching it's a
    little noisy, at slower clock speeds it's quiet. The Nvidia card is fine
    for everything I do but I don't play games.

    General Schvantzkoph, Aug 18, 2004