    Any good in a notebook?

    I've got the choice between an Intel Pentium M 750 1.86GHz or an AMD
    ML40 Turion 64 2.2GHz. Thinking the AMD is the way to go.

    SNOman, Oct 31, 2005

  2. SNOman wrote:
    > Any good in a notebook?
    >
    > I've got the choice between an Intel Pentium M 750 1.86GHz or an AMD
    > ML40 Turion 64 2.2GHz. Thinking the AMD is the way to go.

    Personally I'd go the AMD, the Pentium M might be slightly faster, but
    the AMD lets you do x64

    I use an Acer machine with Mobile AMD Turion 64 processor ML-37 (2.0
    GHz, 1MB L2 cache)

    http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/fr4000.htm

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 31, 2005

  3. SNOman

    SNOman Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > SNOman wrote:
    >
    >> Any good in a notebook?
    >>
    >> I've got the choice between an Intel Pentium M 750 1.86GHz or an AMD
    >> ML40 Turion 64 2.2GHz. Thinking the AMD is the way to go.

    > Personally I'd go the AMD, the Pentium M might be slightly faster, but
    > the AMD lets you do x64
    >
    > I use an Acer machine with Mobile AMD Turion 64 processor ML-37 (2.0
    > GHz, 1MB L2 cache)
    >
    > http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/fr4000.htm

    I was thinking the same thing about the future proofing a bit by
    allowing x64. As an aside, I've got an x64 Win2k3 server installation
    running at the moment on dual intel xeon EM64T and I'm amazed at how
    many programs don't yet support this processor/OS setup.

    SNOman, Oct 31, 2005
  4. SNOman

    gimp Guest

    SNOman wrote:
    > Any good in a notebook?
    >
    > I've got the choice between an Intel Pentium M 750 1.86GHz or an AMD
    > ML40 Turion 64 2.2GHz. Thinking the AMD is the way to go.

    heh yeah other than 64bit support Intel has the speed edge and uses less
    power in Notebooks.. maybe Intel should consider calling it quits in the
    server/workstation/desktop market and sticking to what they're good at ;)

    gimp, Nov 1, 2005
  5. SNOman

    WhoMe Guest

    SNOman wrote:
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> SNOman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any good in a notebook?
    >>>
    >>> I've got the choice between an Intel Pentium M 750 1.86GHz or an AMD
    >>> ML40 Turion 64 2.2GHz. Thinking the AMD is the way to go.

    >> Personally I'd go the AMD, the Pentium M might be slightly faster, but
    >> the AMD lets you do x64
    >>
    >> I use an Acer machine with Mobile AMD Turion 64 processor ML-37 (2.0
    >> GHz, 1MB L2 cache)
    >>
    >> http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/fr4000.htm

    > I was thinking the same thing about the future proofing a bit by
    > allowing x64. As an aside, I've got an x64 Win2k3 server installation
    > running at the moment on dual intel xeon EM64T and I'm amazed at how
    > many programs don't yet support this processor/OS setup.

    Have a read of this
    http://www.laptoplogic.com/resources/articles/42/1/1/
    if anything it sugests the Turion may have a slight speed edge over the
    Pentium

    Who Me

    WhoMe, Nov 1, 2005
  6. SNOman

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:13:54 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Personally I'd go the AMD, the Pentium M might be slightly faster, but
    > the AMD lets you do x64

    The Turion chip is an AMD x86_64 chip - not an Intel x64 chip.

    You should stop reading Micro$oft's "facts".

    Bling Bling

    --
    "Linux and MySQL are going to keep chipping away at Micro$ofts' install base
    and it is terrified. Why else would they keep spouting on about how awful

    Bling Bling, Nov 4, 2005