    In the latest quarter, AMD racks up another loss, this time mostly affected
    by costs associated with the buyout of ATI.

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/17/AMD-reports-fifth-straight-quarterly-loss_1.html

    Mickey Mouse, Jan 18, 2008

  2. Mickey Mouse

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 19, 12:43 am, "Mickey Mouse" <> wrote:

    > In the latest quarter, AMD racks up another loss, this time mostly affected
    > by costs associated with the buyout of ATI.

    This is to be expected and means nothing in the long run as long as
    the acquisition is well managed.

    In any event, ATI was on a hiding to nowhere by being too 'precious'
    about making their products usable by open source.

    By getting more realistic with this aspect, AMD has immediately added
    value to ATI as the acendancy of open source continues.

    By the way, Intel, unlke AMD, cannot even produce a power miserly chip
    for third world use - and something which will become increasingly
    important in the first world with the greater emphasis on energy
    efficiency.

    peterwn, Jan 18, 2008

  3. Mickey Mouse

    sam Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Jan 19, 12:43 am, "Mickey Mouse" <> wrote:
    >
    >> In the latest quarter, AMD racks up another loss, this time mostly affected
    >> by costs associated with the buyout of ATI.

    > This is to be expected and means nothing in the long run as long as
    > the acquisition is well managed.
    >
    > In any event, ATI was on a hiding to nowhere by being too 'precious'
    > about making their products usable by open source.
    >
    > By getting more realistic with this aspect, AMD has immediately added
    > value to ATI as the acendancy of open source continues.
    >
    > By the way, Intel, unlke AMD, cannot even produce a power miserly chip
    > for third world use - and something which will become increasingly
    > important in the first world with the greater emphasis on energy
    > efficiency.

    They did, but they sold the Xscale business to Marvell.
    The OLPC uses a Marvell ARM based chip for its mesh WiFi.

    sam, Jan 18, 2008
  4. Mickey Mouse

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 00:43:01 +1300, "Mickey Mouse"
    <> wrote:

    >AMD has been piling up a succession of losses, and has failed to deliver
    >crucial competitive chipset options in the high value, performance segment.
    >The dropping of the ball by AMD has been so significant that Intel was able
    >to defer the release schedule for a range of Penryn based chips.
    >
    >In the latest quarter, AMD racks up another loss, this time mostly affected
    >by costs associated with the buyout of ATI.
    >
    >http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/17/AMD-reports-fifth-straight-quarterly-loss_1.html

    and their shares jumped 11%

    Nighthawk, Jan 19, 2008

    http://www.worlds-fastest.com/d.pdf/wfw986.pdf

    > Tests of servers using Intel and AMD quad core processors showed that the Intel based servers
    > delivered slightly better maximum throughput and the Opteron based servers were substantially
    > more power efficient. More specifically:
    > 1. When the sizes of the database working sets were small enough to fit in the servers’
    > kernel disk buffer cache, so that there was virtually no physical disk I/O, the Xeon based
    > servers delivered up to 14 percent higher throughput than the Opteron based servers.
    > 2. When the sizes of the database working sets were too large to fit in the kernel disk buffer
    > cache, which forced substantial physical disk I/O, the Xeon based servers delivered up to
    > 3 percent higher throughput than the Opteron based servers
    > 3. When the servers were subjected to various identical levels of transaction arrival rates
    > the Opteron based servers consumed up to 32 percent less power than the Xeon based
    > servers.
    > 4. When the systems were idle and waiting for transactions to process the Opteron based
    > servers consumed up to 41 percent less power than the Xeon based servers.
    > The power consumption at idle is particularly significant since studies have shown that many
    > servers are powered on, but idle, 80 percent of the time. (1) (2)
    > Finally there was a comparison of a 2.0 GHz Xeon to a 2.33 GHz Xeon which showed that
    > although the 2.33 GHz chip had a 16 percent faster clock speed, the range of throughput
    > increase was 6 to 10 percent in the cached domain and 0.1 to 2.2 percent when physical disk I/O
    > was taking place.
    > There is a consensus in the industry that a substantial amount of a Xeon server’s power usage
    > can be traced to Intel’s use of fully buffered memory modules (FB-DIMMs). The expectation is
    > that for systems with a larger number of DIMMs AMD based servers will have a significant power
    > consumption advantage. For systems with a smaller number of DIMMs the power consumption
    > advantage might shift to Intel. All of the tests in this paper were run with 1 gigabyte memory
    > modules. Future tests may be performed with 2 or 4 gigabyte modules.

    That's all they need to corner the server market.

    Mark Robinson, Jan 19, 2008