    AMD powered range of notebooks.

    Leads one to wonder how much sponsorship they actually pay and how much
    benefit they achieve from it.

    Collector-NZ, Sep 18, 2004

  2. Collector-NZ

    Barry Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:

    > AMD's sponsorship of Formula One Team Ferrari lead to the release of the
    > AMD powered range of notebooks.
    >
    > Leads one to wonder how much sponsorship they actually pay and how much
    > benefit they achieve from it.

    Please take this crap somewhere else.

    You are deliberately trying to stuff nz.comp and as computer nerds
    you should really know much better.

    Anyhow, your X-Trace header contains your encrypted email address
    so expect to get lots of spam real soon. You have asked for it!

    Barry, Sep 18, 2004

  3. In message <>, Collector-NZ
    <> wrote:

    >AMD's sponsorship of Formula One Team Ferrari lead to the release of the
    > AMD powered range of notebooks.
    >
    >Leads one to wonder how much sponsorship they actually pay and how much
    >benefit they achieve from it.

    Well they get advertising from it, for a start. How did the F1
    connection lead to the AMD notebooks? They tout it as a "technology
    partnership" rather than a simple sponsorship, so I guess it's not
    unlikely that they get some real technical payback from it.

    They also sponsor Ducati and the USPS cycling cheats. I can see AMD
    getting something from working with Ducati too, but USPS cycling?

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Sep 18, 2004
  4. In message <>, Barry
    <> wrote:

    >Collector-NZ wrote:
    >
    >> AMD's sponsorship of Formula One Team Ferrari lead to the release of the
    >> AMD powered range of notebooks.
    >>
    >> Leads one to wonder how much sponsorship they actually pay and how much
    >> benefit they achieve from it.

    >Please take this crap somewhere else.

    Be fair, Barry. This thread is at least marginally on-topic. By
    bashing his on-topic F1 threads you become as bad as he is for posting
    completely off-topic threads.

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Collector-NZ

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:45:41 +1200, Barry <>
    wrote:

    >Anyhow, your X-Trace header contains your encrypted email address
    >so expect to get lots of spam real soon. You have asked for it!

    The way you're carrying on you are the one who is asking for it.
    Please note, I wont be the one giving it to you.

    Bret, Sep 18, 2004
  6. Collector-NZ

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Barry said the following on 18/09/2004 23:45:
    > Collector-NZ wrote:
    >

    >>AMD's sponsorship of Formula One Team Ferrari lead to the release of the
    >> AMD powered range of notebooks.
    >>
    >>Leads one to wonder how much sponsorship they actually pay and how much
    >>benefit they achieve from it.

    > Please take this crap somewhere else.
    >
    > You are deliberately trying to stuff nz.comp and as computer nerds
    > you should really know much better.
    >
    > Anyhow, your X-Trace header contains your encrypted email address
    > so expect to get lots of spam real soon. You have asked for it!

    Yep you can spam my unmunged email address all you want, its there in
    plain text, but expect to get Orbs blocked.

    Collector-NZ, Sep 18, 2004
  7. It seems like Sun, 19 Sep 2004 01:27:26 +1200 was when R. G. 'Stumpy'
    Marsh <> said Blah blah blah...

    >They also sponsor Ducati and the USPS cycling cheats. I can see AMD
    >getting something from working with Ducati too, but USPS cycling?

    AMD powered bicycles! With new hyperchaining! Double the chains for
    twice the maximum torque! And new dual stage pipeline! As one leg
    goes down, the other goes up for HALF the recovery time! Less latency
    means more power for your CP... I mean Bicycle!

    God bless AMD, technology for the masses.

    PS - This parody could have just as easily been on Intel, I have no
    beef with either.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 18, 2004
  8. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
    > In message <>, Collector-NZ
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> AMD's sponsorship of Formula One Team Ferrari lead to the release of
    >> the AMD powered range of notebooks.
    >>
    >> Leads one to wonder how much sponsorship they actually pay and how
    >> much benefit they achieve from it.

    > Well they get advertising from it, for a start. How did the F1
    > connection lead to the AMD notebooks?

    Didn't you know that AMD have put out a range of red Ferrari laptops Stumpy?
    I think Dave was talking about getting one? They look nice, and have that
    prancing horse logo on the front.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 19, 2004
  9. Collector-NZ

    Barry Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
    >> In message <>, Collector-NZ
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> AMD's sponsorship of Formula One Team Ferrari lead to the release of
    >>> the AMD powered range of notebooks.
    >>>
    >>> Leads one to wonder how much sponsorship they actually pay and how
    >>> much benefit they achieve from it.

    >> Well they get advertising from it, for a start. How did the F1
    >> connection lead to the AMD notebooks?

    > Didn't you know that AMD have put out a range of red Ferrari laptops
    > Stumpy? I think Dave was talking about getting one? They look nice, and
    > have that prancing horse logo on the front.

    I've got an AMD tee-shirt.

    I also have an Olivetti team weatherproof jacket but it is a bit
    faded now. Comes from the time when I was a guest of Olivetti while
    with OB unit with Murray Walker etc.

    Ooops I think I have nearly given my true identity away.

    Barry, Sep 19, 2004
  10. Collector-NZ

    Barry Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:

    > Barry said the following on 18/09/2004 23:45:
    >> Collector-NZ wrote:
    >>

    >>>AMD's sponsorship of Formula One Team Ferrari lead to the release of the
    >>> AMD powered range of notebooks.
    >>>
    >>>Leads one to wonder how much sponsorship they actually pay and how much
    >>>benefit they achieve from it.

    >> Please take this crap somewhere else.
    >>
    >> You are deliberately trying to stuff nz.comp and as computer nerds
    >> you should really know much better.
    >>
    >> Anyhow, your X-Trace header contains your encrypted email address
    >> so expect to get lots of spam real soon. You have asked for it!
    >>

    > Yep you can spam my unmunged email address all you want, its there in
    > plain text, but expect to get Orbs blocked.

    Not my problem. You just get on a spam list and the professional
    spammers do the rest.

    Barry, Sep 19, 2004
  11. In message <ah33d.4027$>, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Didn't you know that AMD have put out a range of red Ferrari laptops Stumpy?
    >I think Dave was talking about getting one? They look nice, and have that
    >prancing horse logo on the front.

    No, I didn't know that. I take it it's just a marketing gimmic then,
    rather than a genuine technological advantage that AMD have got from
    their association with the red cars?

    Shame. I thought they might have actually learned something from
    working with the high performance F1 engineers.

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Sep 19, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    Collector-NZ <> wrote:

    >AMD's sponsorship of Formula One Team Ferrari lead to the release of the
    > AMD powered range of notebooks.

    Colouring computers Ferrari-red seems like such a dumb idea. 10 years
    from now they'll seem like slowpokes, but they'll still be just as red,
    only it'll be the colour of embarrassment. Whereas a Ferrari you buy now
    will still be able to keep up with anything available on the road 10
    years from now, the laws of physics (and of road traffic) being what
    they are.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 19, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh <> wrote:

    >Shame. I thought they might have actually learned something from
    >working with the high performance F1 engineers.

    You mean, like building an engine that will just about last a weekend?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 19, 2004
  14. Collector-NZ

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro said the following on 19/09/2004 16:04:
    > In article <>,
    > R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh <> wrote:
    >

    >>Shame. I thought they might have actually learned something from
    >>working with the high performance F1 engineers.

    > You mean, like building an engine that will just about last a weekend?

    Maybe an OS that lasts a weekend

    Collector-NZ, Sep 19, 2004
  15. Collector-NZ

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Patrick Dunford said the following on 19/09/2004 16:11:
    > In article <> in
    > nz.comp on Sun, 19 Sep 2004 01:27:29 +1200, R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh
    > <> says...
    >
    >>In message <>, Barry
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Please take this crap somewhere else.

    >>Be fair, Barry. This thread is at least marginally on-topic.

    > It's a troll.

    An on topic troll non the less

    Collector-NZ, Sep 19, 2004
  16. In article <> in

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 19, 2004
  17. Collector-NZ

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:08:14 +1200, Collector-NZ wrote:

    >> You mean, like building an engine that will just about last a weekend?

    > Maybe an OS that lasts a weekend

    Sounds like a Micro$oft OS to me.

    But what can we know? When M$ claims it's OS has a lower TCO than Linux...
    on a large mainframe, it just may be that AMD's current boxen will out
    perform all other boxen for the next 10 years! :eek:)

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 19, 2004
  18. Collector-NZ

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:11:42 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > It's a troll.

    At least it's not a Fundamentalist!

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 19, 2004
  19. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
    > In message <ah33d.4027$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Didn't you know that AMD have put out a range of red Ferrari laptops
    >> Stumpy? I think Dave was talking about getting one? They look nice,
    >> and have that prancing horse logo on the front.

    > No, I didn't know that. I take it it's just a marketing gimmic then,
    > rather than a genuine technological advantage that AMD have got from
    > their association with the red cars?

    I suppose you could put it that way. Although, to the best of my knowledge
    it's the first time AMD have made laptops as opposed to just CPUs or
    chipsets etc. (Assuming they're actually made for AMD, but still AMD/Ferrari
    badged). They are actually very well specc'ed for a laptop, and quite styly.
    High power/battery drain, not really practical for a road-warrior
    style-laptop but nobody ever accused Ferrari of producing a practical
    machine.

    > Shame. I thought they might have actually learned something from
    > working with the high performance F1 engineers.

    I'm sure they did, however I think the laptop range is more of a 'get return
    for investment now' type project.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 19, 2004
  20. Collector-NZ

    cobs Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I suppose you could put it that way. Although, to the best of my knowledge
    > it's the first time AMD have made laptops as opposed to just CPUs or
    > chipsets etc. (Assuming they're actually made for AMD, but still AMD/Ferrari
    > badged). They are actually very well specc'ed for a laptop, and quite styly.
    > High power/battery drain, not really practical for a road-warrior
    > style-laptop but nobody ever accused Ferrari of producing a practical
    > machine.

    AMD had mobile versions of the k6 & k6-2 - used to be seen in 'value'
    edition notebooks.

    >>Shame. I thought they might have actually learned something from
    >>working with the high performance F1 engineers.

    > I'm sure they did, however I think the laptop range is more of a 'get return
    > for investment now' type project.

    I though the Ferrari badged laptop was Acer simply paying over money to
    carry the official logo on a red skinned machine. It supposedly played a
    sampled sound of a Ferrari engine on start - classy :)

    cobs, Sep 19, 2004

  1. Silverstrand

    AMD's Ferrari collaboration at bit-tech.net