    --
    Brad
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.
    Brad, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Brad

    Pepperoni Guest

    I just finished building my latest using the PIV 2.6C. I placed it onto
    the BOXD865GBFL (Intel) board, which comes with dual memory channels.
    (currently running 512 PC3200, DDR400 on channel I). With Western Digital
    ( WD800JB ) 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Buffer Special Edition Hard Drive, DVD-rom,
    floppy, cheapo speakers and MS wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse,
    total system cost including shipping came to $649. Since everything is on
    the board, I'm left with 7 open slots for upgrade, if needed. (board has
    AGP8x) Board has SATA, internal USB connecters, more features than I can
    recall; supports 400 & 533 FSB cpus, flexible support for single or dual
    channel memory, and a really killer installation CD.
    http://tinyurl.com/2fdkm
    Runs great, silent and no squawks, even running '98SE.

    Kingston 512MB Kit ( 2x256MB ) PC3200 DDR 400MHz was priced at $83, with
    free shipping.
    (Essential Computer, Inc.) I'll add another kit some day on channel2, but
    I don't have reason to be in a hurry about it. (even though to take
    advantage of hyper-threading requires both channels)

    I won't dis the Athlons, because I don't have experience with them. If you
    are counting votes, put me down for the 100% Intel machine.

    Come back after the build and tell us about it, eh?

    Pepperoni

    "Brad" <> wrote in message
    > I'm getting ready to build a new computer for video editing and am torn
    > between an AMD Athlon XP and an Intel Pentium 4 processor. If I go with a
    > Pentium it would be a 2.6 GHZ with the 800mhz frontside bus and
    > hyperhtreading. I can save about $45 if I went with the Athlon XP 2800

    with
    > a barton core. Motherboard cost is about the same but the Pentium requires
    > faster, slightly more expensive memory. Is it worth spending the extra $

    for

    Pepperoni, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Brad

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Brad" <> wrote in

    > faster, slightly more expensive memory. Is it worth spending the extra
    > $ for the Pentium or am I better off with the Athlon. Thanks for the
    > opinions.

    Benchmarks show the 2800+ to be around the same performance as the 2.6 P4
    w/HTT. The P4 is faster at video encoding, and Quake 3 and a couple of
    other games. The Athlon is faster at number crunching (like, scientific
    stuff), Unreal based games (games using the Unreal engine), and a few other
    games.

    Basically, either will do what you want. If you can save $50 on an Athlon
    platform, go with it.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Brad

    Night_Seer Guest

    Brad wrote:
    > I'm getting ready to build a new computer for video editing and am
    > torn between an AMD Athlon XP and an Intel Pentium 4 processor. If I
    > go with a Pentium it would be a 2.6 GHZ with the 800mhz frontside bus
    > and hyperhtreading. I can save about $45 if I went with the Athlon XP
    > 2800 with a barton core. Motherboard cost is about the same but the
    > Pentium requires faster, slightly more expensive memory. Is it worth
    > spending the extra $ for the Pentium or am I better off with the
    > Athlon. Thanks for the opinions.

    If its for video editing, go with the Pentium 4, its still king of
    encoding.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 15, 2004
  5. Brad

    Thor Guest

    I'd say that if your editing software is written to use SSE2 instructions,
    then the Intel would probably be the way to go.

    Thor, Jan 15, 2004
  6. I know TMPEGenc uses multi-threading so that can take full advantage of
    hyper-threading.

    Andrew Watiker, Jan 16, 2004
  7. Brad

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Andrew Watiker" <> wrote in news:KxHNb.67927
    $:

    > I know TMPEGenc uses multi-threading so that can take full advantage of
    > hyper-threading.

    There is a caveat of HTT, though. The two logical processors share
    execution units and FSB/memory bandwidth. If I recall correctly, the P4
    has 1 FPU and 1 FPU/SSE/SSE2 unit. If TMPGEnc uses 1 FPU per thread, then
    it could be potentially twice as fast (depending on available RAM and FSB
    bandwidth). If it already uses both of the P4's FPUs, you will see a
    performance hit, as the two logical processors fight over execution units.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Brad

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Andrew Watiker" <> wrote in news:KxHNb.67927
    > $:
    >
    >> I know TMPEGenc uses multi-threading so that can take full advantage
    >> of hyper-threading.

    > There is a caveat of HTT, though. The two logical processors share
    > execution units and FSB/memory bandwidth. If I recall correctly, the
    > P4 has 1 FPU and 1 FPU/SSE/SSE2 unit. If TMPGEnc uses 1 FPU per
    > thread, then it could be potentially twice as fast (depending on
    > available RAM and FSB bandwidth). If it already uses both of the
    > P4's FPUs, you will see a performance hit, as the two logical
    > processors fight over execution units.

    I've always seen any multi threaded task GAIN from HT, and never the
    other way around (as far as benchmarks go), and I believe TMPEGenc is
    used as a common benchmark.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 16, 2004
  9. Brad

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in

    > I've always seen any multi threaded task GAIN from HT, and never the
    > other way around (as far as benchmarks go), and I believe TMPEGenc is
    > used as a common benchmark.

    It depends on the task as to whether or not there is a gain. As I said,
    two tasks that won't fight for execution units will run faster.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 16, 2004