AMD has released new Catalyst 9.7 drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Bobby Johnson, Jul 23, 2009.

  1. http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

    The title still says 9.6 but when you click to Download you will get 9.7

    What’s new in Catalyst 9.7:

    ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 – AMD’s first official unified Windows7 / Windows
    Vista Microsoft WHQL certified graphics driver for the Windows 7 RTM

    • AMD has delivered its first official unified WHQL certified graphics
    driver designed for the Windows 7 RTM (Release To Manufacturing)

    • ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 delivers a superior Windows 7 experience:

    • Great gaming performance – superior performance compared to Windows
    Vista for single GPU configurations (gains of up to 10%) and especially
    ATI CrossFireX™ configurations (gains of up to 40% for dual GPU
    configurations, and gains of up to 90% for QUAD GPU configurations)

    • Stability – through AMD’s WHQL certified, unified Windows 7 / Windows
    Vista graphics driver

    • Leadership in Innovation – support for all the Windows 7 WDDM 1.1
    features and AMD ATI Catalyst features on the ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series,
    ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series, and ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series of products ATI
    Catalyst™ Control Center – Enhanced user interface

    • The ATI Catalyst™ Control Center features a newly redesigned user
    interface to enhance usability and end user efficiency. Highlights include:

    o A newly designed Desktops & Displays Manager - enabling users to more
    quickly configure and arrange their displays

    o A new streamlined look – settings and controls are now found in the
    new “Graphics” and “Options” drop down menus, allowing users to very
    quickly select different Tabs to adjust the desired settings

    o Full support for HydraVision under Windows 7

    • The new ATI Catalyst Control Center is supported under Windows 7 and
    Windows Vista ATI Video encoder update – support for Windows 7

    • ATI Catalyst 9.7 introduces support for the ATI Video converter under
    Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit

    • Using ATI Stream technology, owners of ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series and
    ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 Series of graphics cards can take advantage of this
    video conversion tool (found in ATI Catalyst™ Control Center Basic View)
    to achieve substantial performance improvements when transcoding video
    files

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 23, 2009

  2. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    Thanks for the heads up.
    It only applies to he English version of the drivers.
    Other languages are still in v9.6.
    Let's hope they update it along the day.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 23, 2009

  3. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    Installed the English version, could not wait for the Spanish one.
    WEI is 7.3 for my ATI 4850. Same as prior 9.6's but an important jump from
    lower scores with the 9.5's.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 23, 2009
  4. Perhaps the release of 9.7 was to advertise that it is now certified for
    Win 7 RTM.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 23, 2009
  5. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    ATI's site has been updated.
    Version is now correctly shown as 9.7 and other languages, like Spanish, are
    also available.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 23, 2009
  6. Bobby Johnson

    Drew Guest

    Go figure. .still getting a 6.7 WEI on my Sapphire Toxic Ati 4850.. Not sure
    why, running a Dell 24" digital flat panel at 1920 x 1200 through a dvi
    connection.

    Drew, Jul 25, 2009
  7. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    Some benchmarks here
    http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/2842/ati_catalyst_9_7_vista_driver_analysis/index.html
    might clarify why the 4850 has no real benefits with respect to 9.6.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 28, 2009
  8. Bobby Johnson

    Drew Guest

    Thanks Carlos! It is still bugging me why some get higher scores with cards
    that are supposed to be slower than mine, that’s all. I will figure it out
    though

    Drew, Jul 28, 2009
  9. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    Well, the fact that you are running at 1900 x 1200 might explain the
    difference.
    I am at a lower 1680 x 1050 and my 4850 has to feed less pixels than yours.
    Also, drivers tend to be optimized for certain resolutions so your one might
    be also suffering from that (more pixels and less optimization).
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 3, 2009
  10. Bobby Johnson

    Drew Guest

    Carlos. I guess that is possible but I am running at the native resolution
    for this monitor. nothing tweaked or overclocked

    Drew, Aug 4, 2009
  11. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    One thing is the native resolution of the monitor and something quite
    different is how much burden the graphic card has managing those 1900 x 1200
    pixels.
    Graphic card manufacturers tend to optimize their card's performance for
    certain (more common) resolutions for the average user and usually leave out
    higher resolutions.
    So ATI may have tweaked their 9.7's for other resolutions different than
    yours and that would explain - apart for having to drive more pixels - the
    WEI that Win 7 is benchmarking.
    Feel like experimenting?
    Set your resolution to 1680 x 1050. It will look horrible in your monitor.
    Run WEI and see the results. Any improvement?
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 4, 2009
  12. Bobby Johnson

    Drew Guest

    Carlos: I tried running your resolution of 1680 x 1050 without aero and the
    score did not change. still a overall 5.6 with my hard drive transfer rate
    slowing it down next is graphics with a 6.7 and processor and ram at 7.1. I
    very much appreciate the advice though. I guess I will have to wait and see
    if as newer drivers become available that they might help. Cheers and
    Thanks!!

    Drew, Aug 4, 2009