AMD has released Catalyst 9.1

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Bobby Johnson, Jan 30, 2009.

  1. Bobby Johnson, Jan 30, 2009

  2. The entire Vista x64 driver package even installed in Win 7 x64.

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 30, 2009

  3. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    Those are good news.
    I had this little issue with the 8.12's and I would like to know if it is
    solved in this new release before attempting an install.
    Issue would show up when resuming from sleep. Screen resolution would change
    and when trying to get it back to normal, the drop down list of available
    resolutions didn't match the ones for my monitor though the monitor was
    properly identified in Device Manager.
    My monitor runs "naturally" in 1680x1050. After the "awakening" it was in
    1440x900 and the only available one with 1680 was 1680x1200.
    Eager to listen to your comments!
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 30, 2009
  4. Carlos,

    I just did a quick test of going to sleep and then waking up
    after about 2 minutes and I don't see any of the problems
    you note below.

    What I was checking for was whether it would install or not.
    I never tried the Vista 8.12 version, but the beta that
    was specifically for Win 7 just failed to install - no error
    noted, just didn't install.

    Bobby

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 30, 2009
  5. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    After writing my post I noticed that I had been misleading when quoting the
    drivers as "8.12".
    There were three to choose from:
    1.- The regular 8.12's for Vista
    2.- The hotfix 8.12's.
    3.- The Win 7 8.12's.
    I didn't install #3 because the drivers were not signed and I didn't want to
    do the F8 thing on every reboot.
    I did install #2 because I had read in a forum that they worked Ok in Win 7.
    Installation had to be done from an elevated command prompt typing something
    like "atisetup.exe -install".
    They worked, no issues, except for the screen resolution thing. So I did a
    system restore and went back to the drivers downloaded via Windows Update.
    I am interested more in the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) rather than the
    drivers itself.
    This 4850 card runs hot at idle (by design) and by means of CCC I can crank
    up the fan speed to 40 or 50% from the 20% default (silent but hot).
    Thanks for your feedback. I'll install 9.1's as soon as get back home.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 30, 2009
  6. Bobby Johnson

    Kue2 Guest

    Carlos I installed these drivers last night on my brother-in-laws computer.
    You can install the "package"with" (the catalyst control center), or just
    the driver.I put the package on his computer,worked fine.Thanks for the tip
    on adjusting fan speed.

    Kue2, Jan 31, 2009
  7. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Hugh,
    I also installed these drivers in Win 7 b1 x64 with no problems.
    After resuming from sleep screen resolution doesn't change.
    These 4850 cards run with their fan at a very low speed (20% of the total)
    causing it to be silent and also to run quite hot (close to 80 deg C).
    I don't care about the noise so I set the fan speed somewhere between 40 and
    50%,
    lowering the temperature by 15 deg C.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 31, 2009