AMD fails to deliver yet again....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Nov 4, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Nov 4, 2007

  2. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "thingy" typed:
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/phenom-slowed-again
    >
    > At this rate I wonder if it will be around for long....
    >
    > Its new server cpus were a dis-appointment, now they follow that with
    > poor desktop CPUs...
    >
    > They bought ATI which is beginning to look very second rate one has to
    > wonder why...

    I rejoiced when Intel dropped the space-heater P4s and embraced the old
    Tualatin architecture again and developed it into these Core CPUs, via
    Pentium M. (After they'd dropped the Tuis I went AMD for years.) Now I'm
    thinking maybe rejoicing isn't a good thing... These Core CPUs are so good
    that they could be ringing the death-knell for AMD. Especially with Intel
    starting to ship their 45nm CPUs around now (albeit in small numbers and at
    high prices).

    If AMD go under we'll be back to the old situation of Intel having a virtual
    monopoly on the CPU market and prices will likely triple overnight. Remember
    when a Pentium 100 cost close to a grand? Now, you can get a 64-bit capable
    Celeron 440 (Conroe, basically Core Solo) that runs at 2GHz that'll beat the
    pants off any previous generation single-core processor for under $100.
    Overclock it (easilly done) and it'll romp over anything single-core at it's
    reduced multiplier, power-saving setting. More than adequate for any home PC
    except for a gaming rig.

    I worry about AMD. I hope they get it together.

    Cheers,
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Nov 5, 2007

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on the interweb "thingy" typed:
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/phenom-slowed-again
    >>
    >> At this rate I wonder if it will be around for long....
    >>
    >> Its new server cpus were a dis-appointment, now they follow that with
    >> poor desktop CPUs...
    >>
    >> They bought ATI which is beginning to look very second rate one has to
    >> wonder why...

    > I rejoiced when Intel dropped the space-heater P4s and embraced the old
    > Tualatin architecture again and developed it into these Core CPUs, via
    > Pentium M. (After they'd dropped the Tuis I went AMD for years.) Now I'm
    > thinking maybe rejoicing isn't a good thing... These Core CPUs are so good
    > that they could be ringing the death-knell for AMD. Especially with Intel
    > starting to ship their 45nm CPUs around now (albeit in small numbers and at
    > high prices).
    >
    > If AMD go under we'll be back to the old situation of Intel having a virtual
    > monopoly on the CPU market and prices will likely triple overnight. Remember
    > when a Pentium 100 cost close to a grand? Now, you can get a 64-bit capable
    > Celeron 440 (Conroe, basically Core Solo) that runs at 2GHz that'll beat the
    > pants off any previous generation single-core processor for under $100.
    > Overclock it (easilly done) and it'll romp over anything single-core at it's
    > reduced multiplier, power-saving setting. More than adequate for any home PC
    > except for a gaming rig.
    >
    > I worry about AMD. I hope they get it together.
    >
    > Cheers,

    me too....ditto ATI....I was very sad when Matrox left the 3d games market

    regards
    thingy, Nov 5, 2007
  4. thingy

    Puddle Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/phenom-slowed-again
    >
    > At this rate I wonder if it will be around for long....

    It would be a real blow if they went under. Last thing we want is a
    complete monopoly on cpu's though unless they do something it could be
    heading that way, the only way they can remain compeditive now is by
    pricing but they still have to make a profit somehow and have enough
    money to fund research etc...

    > Its new server cpus were a dis-appointment, now they follow that with
    > poor desktop CPUs...
    >
    > They bought ATI which is beginning to look very second rate one has to
    > wonder why...

    ATI were always second rate when compared to Nvidia, they should have
    splashed out and gone for Nvidia.

    Puddle, Nov 5, 2007
  5. thingy

    Squiggle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on the interweb "thingy" typed:
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/phenom-slowed-again
    >>
    >> At this rate I wonder if it will be around for long....
    >>
    >> Its new server cpus were a dis-appointment, now they follow that with
    >> poor desktop CPUs...
    >>
    >> They bought ATI which is beginning to look very second rate one has to
    >> wonder why...

    > I rejoiced when Intel dropped the space-heater P4s and embraced the old
    > Tualatin architecture again and developed it into these Core CPUs, via
    > Pentium M. (After they'd dropped the Tuis I went AMD for years.) Now I'm
    > thinking maybe rejoicing isn't a good thing... These Core CPUs are so good
    > that they could be ringing the death-knell for AMD. Especially with Intel
    > starting to ship their 45nm CPUs around now (albeit in small numbers and at
    > high prices).
    >
    > If AMD go under we'll be back to the old situation of Intel having a virtual
    > monopoly on the CPU market and prices will likely triple overnight. Remember
    > when a Pentium 100 cost close to a grand? Now, you can get a 64-bit capable
    > Celeron 440 (Conroe, basically Core Solo) that runs at 2GHz that'll beat the
    > pants off any previous generation single-core processor for under $100.
    > Overclock it (easilly done) and it'll romp over anything single-core at it's
    > reduced multiplier, power-saving setting. More than adequate for any home PC
    > except for a gaming rig.
    >
    > I worry about AMD. I hope they get it together.
    >
    > Cheers,

    The latest CPU out will always be $1K plus... in five-eight years
    you'll be saying "remember when a quad core 2.3Ghz cpu cost close to a
    grand"
    as you compare it to the then-current crop off (8+?)core CPUs.

    And I like my space heater P4.. the exhaust fans on my case keep my toes
    nice and warm in winter :)
    Squiggle, Nov 5, 2007
  6. In message <472e6d23$>, Puddle wrote:

    > ATI were always second rate when compared to Nvidia, they should have
    > splashed out and gone for Nvidia.

    Then if AMD were to go under, they would be pulling Nvidia with them,
    leaving us with ATI...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2007
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Puddle wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/phenom-slowed-again
    >>

    >> At this rate I wonder if it will be around for long....

    > It would be a real blow if they went under. Last thing we want is a
    > complete monopoly on cpu's though unless they do something it could be
    > heading that way, the only way they can remain compeditive now is by
    > pricing but they still have to make a profit somehow and have enough
    > money to fund research etc...

    8><----

    Agree....

    I think AMD's saving grace was Intel lost the plot on two counts, the
    netburst fiasco and the belief that they (Intel) could dictate the speed
    products were delivered to market...ie why sell a new faster chip when
    we can keep the older one in production and milk the maximum return from
    it screwing customers in the process...then intro the "new" cpu when its
    suits us, forcing a complete and expensive upgrade....this I think gave
    AMD a lot of breathing space and allowed AMD to leapfrog the netburst
    rubbish...

    These days though I think Intel have "got it" they have the R&D and
    production to outpace AMD and at the rate they are doing it they are
    going to be 2~3 generations better in very few years, at which point
    AMD's CPUs will be effectively worthless....bye bye AMD....

    Then we as customers could well suffer huge price increases and slower
    updates....Intel will get lazy.....

    Though in terms of generational updates I wonder how much better the
    newer CPUs are going to be, ie 4Ghz or at most 5Ghz is probably going to
    be the effective upper limit of CPU speed.......so it is going to be
    multiple cores, something like 80 of them....software has a lot of
    catching up to do....games cant even do 4 cores properly yet 8 core CPUs
    are a year away.

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Nov 5, 2007
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on the interweb "thingy" typed:
    >>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/phenom-slowed-again
    >>>

    >>> At this rate I wonder if it will be around for long....
    >>>
    >>> Its new server cpus were a dis-appointment, now they follow that with
    >>> poor desktop CPUs...
    >>>
    >>> They bought ATI which is beginning to look very second rate one has to
    >>> wonder why...

    >> I rejoiced when Intel dropped the space-heater P4s and embraced the
    >> old Tualatin architecture again and developed it into these Core CPUs,
    >> via Pentium M. (After they'd dropped the Tuis I went AMD for years.)
    >> Now I'm thinking maybe rejoicing isn't a good thing... These Core CPUs
    >> are so good that they could be ringing the death-knell for AMD.
    >> Especially with Intel starting to ship their 45nm CPUs around now
    >> (albeit in small numbers and at high prices).
    >>
    >> If AMD go under we'll be back to the old situation of Intel having a
    >> virtual monopoly on the CPU market and prices will likely triple
    >> overnight. Remember when a Pentium 100 cost close to a grand? Now, you
    >> can get a 64-bit capable Celeron 440 (Conroe, basically Core Solo)
    >> that runs at 2GHz that'll beat the pants off any previous generation
    >> single-core processor for under $100. Overclock it (easilly done) and
    >> it'll romp over anything single-core at it's reduced multiplier,
    >> power-saving setting. More than adequate for any home PC except for a
    >> gaming rig.
    >>
    >> I worry about AMD. I hope they get it together.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > The latest CPU out will always be $1K plus... in five-eight years
    > you'll be saying "remember when a quad core 2.3Ghz cpu cost close to a
    > grand"
    > as you compare it to the then-current crop off (8+?)core CPUs.
    >
    > And I like my space heater P4.. the exhaust fans on my case keep my toes
    > nice and warm in winter :)

    When I got my first p3-1000 it was somewhere over 1K.....I had a dual
    board and got the second CPU just as they stopped selling them at the
    bargin price of $450....gee those were the days....no kids....

    Just think what that end of line $450 will get you today, a quad core
    2.4Ghz CPU....which is towards the top of the mainstream CPU charts....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 5, 2007
  9. thingy

    Bobs Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <472e6d23$>, Puddle wrote:
    >
    >> ATI were always second rate when compared to Nvidia, they should have
    >> splashed out and gone for Nvidia.

    > Then if AMD were to go under, they would be pulling Nvidia with them,
    > leaving us with ATI...

    What? Does not compute.
    Bobs, Nov 5, 2007
  10. thingy

    Bobs Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/phenom-slowed-again
    >
    > At this rate I wonder if it will be around for long....
    >
    > Its new server cpus were a dis-appointment, now they follow that with
    > poor desktop CPUs...
    >
    > They bought ATI which is beginning to look very second rate one has to
    > wonder why...
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Their dual core XP cpu's were good (I've got a 3800xp dual core) until
    Intel released the Core 2 Duo arse kickers. Maybe it's not so much a
    matter of AMD failing, but Intel succeeding. Their Core 2 cpu's are top
    notch really, at a great price too.
    Bobs, Nov 5, 2007
  11. In message <472e96a6$>, Bobs wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <472e6d23$>, Puddle wrote:
    >>
    >>> ATI were always second rate when compared to Nvidia, they should have
    >>> splashed out and gone for Nvidia.

    >> Then if AMD were to go under, they would be pulling Nvidia with them,
    >> leaving us with ATI...

    > What? Does not compute.

    Why not?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2007
  12. thingy

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 13:32:37 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on the interweb "thingy" typed:
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/phenom-slowed-again
    >>
    >> At this rate I wonder if it will be around for long....
    >>
    >> Its new server cpus were a dis-appointment, now they follow that with
    >> poor desktop CPUs...
    >>
    >> They bought ATI which is beginning to look very second rate one has to
    >> wonder why...

    >I rejoiced when Intel dropped the space-heater P4s and embraced the old
    >Tualatin architecture again and developed it into these Core CPUs, via
    >Pentium M. (After they'd dropped the Tuis I went AMD for years.) Now I'm
    >thinking maybe rejoicing isn't a good thing... These Core CPUs are so good
    >that they could be ringing the death-knell for AMD. Especially with Intel
    >starting to ship their 45nm CPUs around now (albeit in small numbers and at
    >high prices).
    >
    >If AMD go under we'll be back to the old situation of Intel having a virtual
    >monopoly on the CPU market and prices will likely triple overnight. Remember
    >when a Pentium 100 cost close to a grand? Now, you can get a 64-bit capable
    >Celeron 440 (Conroe, basically Core Solo) that runs at 2GHz that'll beat the
    >pants off any previous generation single-core processor for under $100.
    >Overclock it (easilly done) and it'll romp over anything single-core at it's
    >reduced multiplier, power-saving setting. More than adequate for any home PC
    >except for a gaming rig.
    >
    >I worry about AMD. I hope they get it together.

    Lets not forget the court cases against Intel:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/26/eu_files_antitrust_charges_against_intel/

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/11/south_koreans_file_antitrust_charges_against_intel/

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/02/amd_sez_intel_profits_from_monopoly/

    Seems like Intel are the MS of CPUs.

    Personally I do not support monopolies, especially where they use
    unfair practices. Besides, how much power do you need? I run an
    Athlon XP2400+, 2 GHz, which is plenty fast enough for everything I
    do. My next CPU, when I get round to building a new PC, will be the
    Athlon 64 x2 5000, perhaps the Black Edition, possibly clocked to 3
    GHz, which will be fully adequate for anyone but the power crazy.
    Nighthawk, Nov 5, 2007
  13. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Nighthawk" typed:
    > On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 13:32:37 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Somewhere on the interweb "thingy" typed:
    > > > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/phenom-slowed-again
    > > >
    > > > At this rate I wonder if it will be around for long....
    > > >
    > > > Its new server cpus were a dis-appointment, now they follow that
    > > > with poor desktop CPUs...
    > > >
    > > > They bought ATI which is beginning to look very second rate one
    > > > has to wonder why...

    > > I rejoiced when Intel dropped the space-heater P4s and embraced the
    > > old Tualatin architecture again and developed it into these Core
    > > CPUs, via Pentium M. (After they'd dropped the Tuis I went AMD for
    > > years.) Now I'm thinking maybe rejoicing isn't a good thing...
    > > These Core CPUs are so good that they could be ringing the
    > > death-knell for AMD. Especially with Intel starting to ship their
    > > 45nm CPUs around now (albeit in small numbers and at high prices).
    > >
    > > If AMD go under we'll be back to the old situation of Intel having
    > > a virtual monopoly on the CPU market and prices will likely triple
    > > overnight. Remember when a Pentium 100 cost close to a grand? Now,
    > > you can get a 64-bit capable Celeron 440 (Conroe, basically Core
    > > Solo) that runs at 2GHz that'll beat the pants off any previous
    > > generation single-core processor for under $100. Overclock it
    > > (easilly done) and it'll romp over anything single-core at it's
    > > reduced multiplier, power-saving setting. More than adequate for
    > > any home PC except for a gaming rig.
    > >
    > > I worry about AMD. I hope they get it together.
    > >

    > Lets not forget the court cases against Intel:
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/26/eu_files_antitrust_charges_against_intel/
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/11/south_koreans_file_antitrust_charges_against_intel/
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/02/amd_sez_intel_profits_from_monopoly/
    >

    > Seems like Intel are the MS of CPUs.

    Indeed.

    > Personally I do not support monopolies, especially where they use
    > unfair practices. Besides, how much power do you need? I run an
    > Athlon XP2400+, 2 GHz, which is plenty fast enough for everything I
    > do. My next CPU, when I get round to building a new PC, will be the
    > Athlon 64 x2 5000, perhaps the Black Edition, possibly clocked to 3
    > GHz, which will be fully adequate for anyone but the power crazy.

    And I bet my $200 Core2 Duo E4500 that, with the help of a sliver of
    sellotape and a drop of conductive paint now runs at 2.93GHz, will run rings
    around it. ;-)

    Oh, and it's in a $100 mobo that takes my old DDR and AGP stuff. Awesome
    upgrade for the price.
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Nov 5, 2007
  14. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 13:32:37 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on the interweb "thingy" typed:
    >>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/phenom-slowed-again
    >>>
    >>> At this rate I wonder if it will be around for long....
    >>>
    >>> Its new server cpus were a dis-appointment, now they follow that with
    >>> poor desktop CPUs...
    >>>
    >>> They bought ATI which is beginning to look very second rate one has to
    >>> wonder why...

    >> I rejoiced when Intel dropped the space-heater P4s and embraced the old
    >> Tualatin architecture again and developed it into these Core CPUs, via
    >> Pentium M. (After they'd dropped the Tuis I went AMD for years.) Now I'm
    >> thinking maybe rejoicing isn't a good thing... These Core CPUs are so good
    >> that they could be ringing the death-knell for AMD. Especially with Intel
    >> starting to ship their 45nm CPUs around now (albeit in small numbers and at
    >> high prices).
    >>
    >> If AMD go under we'll be back to the old situation of Intel having a virtual
    >> monopoly on the CPU market and prices will likely triple overnight. Remember
    >> when a Pentium 100 cost close to a grand? Now, you can get a 64-bit capable
    >> Celeron 440 (Conroe, basically Core Solo) that runs at 2GHz that'll beat the
    >> pants off any previous generation single-core processor for under $100.
    >> Overclock it (easilly done) and it'll romp over anything single-core at it's
    >> reduced multiplier, power-saving setting. More than adequate for any home PC
    >> except for a gaming rig.
    >>
    >> I worry about AMD. I hope they get it together.
    >>

    > Lets not forget the court cases against Intel:
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/26/eu_files_antitrust_charges_against_intel/
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/11/south_koreans_file_antitrust_charges_against_intel/
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/02/amd_sez_intel_profits_from_monopoly/
    >

    > Seems like Intel are the MS of CPUs.
    >

    > Personally I do not support monopolies, especially where they use
    > unfair practices. Besides, how much power do you need? I run an
    > Athlon XP2400+, 2 GHz, which is plenty fast enough for everything I
    > do. My next CPU, when I get round to building a new PC, will be the
    > Athlon 64 x2 5000, perhaps the Black Edition, possibly clocked to 3
    > GHz, which will be fully adequate for anyone but the power crazy.

    About the only thing I have issues day to day on are playing cpu
    intensive games like supreme commander....I also play runescape which
    takes 100% of my cpu.....shows how bad/greedy java is.....I cannot do
    anything else while its running....

    If you dont play that sort of intensive game then yes....my 4000x2EE is
    totally adequate, way cheap and low power consumption....

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Nov 5, 2007
  15. thingy

    Bobs Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <472e96a6$>, Bobs wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Then if AMD were to go under, they would be pulling Nvidia with them,
    >>> leaving us with ATI...

    >> What? Does not compute.

    > Why not?

    Why would AMD pull Nvidia with them?
    Bobs, Nov 5, 2007
  16. In message <472f97b4$>, Bobs wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> What? Does not compute.

    >> Why not?

    > Why would AMD pull Nvidia with them?

    If Nvidia were acquired by AMD, and AMD went down, of course.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2007
  17. thingy

    elpenguino Guest

    On Nov 6, 1:47 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > Oh, and it's in a $100 mobo that takes my old DDR and AGP stuff. Awesome
    > upgrade for the price.

    Interesting !
    Whats the model of your Mobo?
    Cheers,
    Chris
    elpenguino, Nov 6, 2007
  18. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "elpenguino" typed:
    > On Nov 6, 1:47 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Oh, and it's in a $100 mobo that takes my old DDR and AGP stuff.
    > > Awesome upgrade for the price.

    > Interesting !
    > Whats the model of your Mobo?
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    ASUSTek P5PE-VM

    http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?106087

    Actually $111 with GST. They're probably available elsewhere.. Yep:

    http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_33&products_id=3004

    $86 inc GST. Wish I'd seen that before I bought from QMB. LOL.

    It even has integrated graphics, sound and gigabit LAN. Still uses the
    20-pin ATX connector too so older PSUs are still fine. It even has some
    solid Japanese made capacitors in the important places in the VRM area of
    the mobo. I don't know how they do it at that price.

    Sweet little board. Shame I'm about to upgrade. <sigh> yet another rebuild.
    If you get one and want to know how to overclock it (there are no settings
    in BIOS, you have to stick a bit of tape and some conductive paint on the
    bottom of the CPU. A reversable process, no need to panic. <g>) just ask and
    I'll give you instructions. It makes it boot at 1066 FSB instead of 800.

    My friend has bought a new case and a 8800GTX card and will give me his old
    PCI-e 7800GT if I fit his bits into the new case for him. That graphics card
    is too big a step-up for me to ignore and my flatmate was going to get a
    P5PE-VM anyway. So I'm selling mine to her (and a couple things on Trademe
    to raise more funds) and getting a PCI-e board. Staying with ASUSTek,
    they're great boards.

    Man, DDR2 is cheap! I ordered 2 x 1GB Transcend DDR2 800 Dual Channel kit
    from Ascent yesterday, got it today, less than 18 hours later. $110! For
    2GB! Ok, it's cheap RAM but it has a lifetime warranty. I remember paying
    twice that for 4MB to take my i486 up to 8MB.

    Cheers
    --
    Shaun
    ~misfit~, Nov 6, 2007
  19. thingy

    thingy Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on the interweb "elpenguino" typed:
    >> On Nov 6, 1:47 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>> Oh, and it's in a $100 mobo that takes my old DDR and AGP stuff.
    >>> Awesome upgrade for the price.

    >> Interesting !
    >> Whats the model of your Mobo?
    >> Cheers,
    >> Chris

    > ASUSTek P5PE-VM
    >
    > http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?106087
    >
    > Actually $111 with GST. They're probably available elsewhere.. Yep:
    >
    > http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_33&products_id=3004
    >
    > $86 inc GST. Wish I'd seen that before I bought from QMB. LOL.
    >
    > It even has integrated graphics, sound and gigabit LAN. Still uses the
    > 20-pin ATX connector too so older PSUs are still fine. It even has some
    > solid Japanese made capacitors in the important places in the VRM area of
    > the mobo. I don't know how they do it at that price.
    >
    > Sweet little board. Shame I'm about to upgrade. <sigh> yet another rebuild.
    > If you get one and want to know how to overclock it (there are no settings
    > in BIOS, you have to stick a bit of tape and some conductive paint on the
    > bottom of the CPU. A reversable process, no need to panic. <g>) just ask and
    > I'll give you instructions. It makes it boot at 1066 FSB instead of 800.
    >
    > My friend has bought a new case and a 8800GTX card and will give me his old
    > PCI-e 7800GT if I fit his bits into the new case for him. That graphics card
    > is too big a step-up for me to ignore and my flatmate was going to get a
    > P5PE-VM anyway. So I'm selling mine to her (and a couple things on Trademe
    > to raise more funds) and getting a PCI-e board. Staying with ASUSTek,
    > they're great boards.
    >
    > Man, DDR2 is cheap! I ordered 2 x 1GB Transcend DDR2 800 Dual Channel kit
    > from Ascent yesterday, got it today, less than 18 hours later. $110! For
    > 2GB! Ok, it's cheap RAM but it has a lifetime warranty. I remember paying
    > twice that for 4MB to take my i486 up to 8MB.
    >
    > Cheers

    yeah I used pp....I just got the very same stuff for my new upgrade....I
    could have got "better" ram but at 2 to 3 times the cost for maybe 5%
    improvement....waste of time....

    and Oh dont those 8800GT's look neat!.....maybe early next year!!!

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Nov 6, 2007
  20. Hi there,

    Bobs wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/phenom-slowed-again
    >>

    >> At this rate I wonder if it will be around for long....
    >>
    >> Its new server cpus were a dis-appointment, now they follow that with
    >> poor desktop CPUs...
    >>
    >> They bought ATI which is beginning to look very second rate one has to
    >> wonder why...
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > Their dual core XP cpu's were good (I've got a 3800xp dual core) until
    > Intel released the Core 2 Duo arse kickers. Maybe it's not so much a
    > matter of AMD failing, but Intel succeeding. Their Core 2 cpu's are top
    > notch really, at a great price too.

    Fair comment. CPU's are not like rugby so its quite OK to concede
    1st place, so long as 2nd place is still a good deal. :)

    I've mentioned somewhere before that my midrange 2 yr old Athlon64
    desktop at home performs better with heavyweight apps (AutoCAD/Revit)
    than my near-new Core 2 Duo machine at work. I cant figure out why,
    as on paper the C2D machine should wipe the floor with the AMD. For
    AU$188 I can get the Athlon64 X2 6000+, which is pretty good bang
    for buck...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...
    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 7, 2007