AMD Athlon64 3200 Or Pentium Dua-Core?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Denny B, May 17, 2006.

  1. Denny B

    Denny B Guest

    I am about to purchase a new computer and have great
    difficulty deciding, AMD Athlon64 3200, or Pentium D
    processor 805 Dual-Core? I find this quite a dilemma for
    no particular reason. Every time I am convinced one way,
    somebody convinces me the other way.

    Is it true for the not too distant future AMD Athlon64 3200
    is the way to go because it is a 64 bit chip and that is the way
    things are going. I am told the next to be introduced Windows
    OS is 64 bit.

    Presently I have a Pentium 11, 350MHZ computer that is
    the only computer I have owned for the last 7 years and feel it
    is time to update.

    It is for a home computer and I am not into any particular
    thing. Just an average computer user. Don't play games, my
    10 year old daughter plays some games nothing radical.

    Any help appreciated.

    Thanks in advance
    Denny B
    Denny B, May 17, 2006

  2. Denny B wrote:
    > I am about to purchase a new computer and have great
    > difficulty deciding, AMD Athlon64 3200, or Pentium D
    > processor 805 Dual-Core? I find this quite a dilemma for
    > no particular reason. Every time I am convinced one way,
    > somebody convinces me the other way.
    >
    > Is it true for the not too distant future AMD Athlon64 3200
    > is the way to go because it is a 64 bit chip and that is the way
    > things are going. I am told the next to be introduced Windows
    > OS is 64 bit.
    >
    > Presently I have a Pentium 11, 350MHZ computer that is
    > the only computer I have owned for the last 7 years and feel it
    > is time to update.
    >
    > It is for a home computer and I am not into any particular
    > thing. Just an average computer user. Don't play games, my
    > 10 year old daughter plays some games nothing radical.

    Dual core chips are good if the software knows how to handle multiple
    processors. But there's not that many that know how to handle them. Most
    "middle of the road" software packages can't. Of course if you get
    Windows XP Pro or Windows XP 64bit, they both can deal with multiple
    processors, but XP Home won't. If you plan on getting Vista, seems like
    you'd be better off with the AMD chip.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 17, 2006

  3. On 5/16/2006 10:48 PM or thereabouts, Denny B appears, somewhat
    unbelievably, to have opined:

    > I am about to purchase a new computer and have great
    > difficulty deciding, AMD Athlon64 3200, or Pentium D
    > processor 805 Dual-Core? I find this quite a dilemma for
    > no particular reason. Every time I am convinced one way,
    > somebody convinces me the other way.
    >
    > Is it true for the not too distant future AMD Athlon64 3200
    > is the way to go because it is a 64 bit chip and that is the way
    > things are going. I am told the next to be introduced Windows
    > OS is 64 bit.
    >
    > Presently I have a Pentium 11, 350MHZ computer that is
    > the only computer I have owned for the last 7 years and feel it
    > is time to update.
    >
    > It is for a home computer and I am not into any particular
    > thing. Just an average computer user. Don't play games, my
    > 10 year old daughter plays some games nothing radical.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Denny B

    Flip a coin. Either will be far better than what you have now. AMD will
    probably cost less and be a bit faster at most tasks.

    --
    As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
    Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.
    Dennis Turner, May 17, 2006
  4. Denny B

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Denny B" <> wrote in message
    >I am about to purchase a new computer and have great
    > difficulty deciding, AMD Athlon64 3200, or Pentium D
    > processor 805 Dual-Core?

    Go for the AMD. I switched to AMD about 4 years ago for both my personal and
    office machines, as well as client machines, and have been very happy.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, May 17, 2006
  5. Denny B

    Cub Guest

    "Denny B" <> wrote in message
    >I am about to purchase a new computer and have great
    > difficulty deciding, AMD Athlon64 3200, or Pentium D
    > processor 805 Dual-Core? I find this quite a dilemma for
    > no particular reason. Every time I am convinced one way,
    > somebody convinces me the other way.
    >
    > Is it true for the not too distant future AMD Athlon64 3200
    > is the way to go because it is a 64 bit chip and that is the way
    > things are going. I am told the next to be introduced Windows
    > OS is 64 bit.
    >
    > Presently I have a Pentium 11, 350MHZ computer that is
    > the only computer I have owned for the last 7 years and feel it
    > is time to update.
    >
    > It is for a home computer and I am not into any particular
    > thing. Just an average computer user. Don't play games, my
    > 10 year old daughter plays some games nothing radical.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Denny B

    Hiya

    Why do you feel it is time to upgrade ?. Is your current machine not doing
    what it should ?

    A faster machine won't make internet acces any faster or help you complete a
    email sooner ;-)

    It is nice to update but for the right reason

    Regards
    Cub, May 17, 2006
  6. Denny B

    Mitch Guest

    In article <S2xag.18378$>, Denny B
    <> wrote:

    > Is it true for the not too distant future AMD Athlon64 3200
    > is the way to go because it is a 64 bit chip and that is the way
    > things are going. I am told the next to be introduced Windows
    > OS is 64 bit.

    This is wrong and misleading.
    Yes, the next version of Windows will have a 64-bit version, but it
    will also have a couple of 32-bit versions. There are several versions
    to be offered -- even more than Microsoft makes today.
    You will be able to use the next version of Windows on either processor.

    Can't tell you how it the performance will compare -- and no one else
    can, either -- although a few may have good guesses based on what is
    available to see in the public preview releases.
    Mitch, May 17, 2006
  7. Denny B

    Plato Guest

    Denny B wrote:

    > Presently I have a Pentium 11, 350MHZ computer that is
    > the only computer I have owned for the last 7 years and feel it
    > is time to update.

    Personally I'd wait until you really "need" to upgrade. ie dont
    upgrade/spend money just for the hack of it. This way when you really
    "need" the upgrade you'll get the latest.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 19, 2006