  1. I just got a new computer with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor, but it didn't
    come with Windows XP x64. I was wondering if it will work properly on it, or
    if there was a reason they didn't install that on it.

    =?Utf-8?B?QktZMTcwMQ==?=, Dec 20, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QktZMTcwMQ==?=

    Patrick Guest

    Depending on who the "they" actually is that didn't pre-install XP x64:
    "They" don't want to support it - so "they" didn't give it to you.
    As you will read here - "them" that have it are on their own with the
    exception of the help that "they" have from each other.

    Patrick, Dec 20, 2005

  3. The reason, mostly, is they are not sure if there are drivers to support all
    their hardware - most things can be beaten to submission, but you will not
    get any help from the seller. You are on your own - except for this group,
    there is always someone here to listen.

    Points to note is Chipset - HardDisk Sub System (IDE, SATA; RAID?) Graphic
    Card, USB, Printer/Scanner/Camera - today for the most part peripherals is
    the big problem, if there is a problem, which is not at all certain.

    Some games will present a problem. If you are going to install, make sure
    you have the latest BIOS! Best option would be to Dual-Boot with your
    existing system.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 20, 2005
  4. The X2s rock with 64 bit (I've got at 3800)... but they do pretty good with
    XP Pro as well...;-) Unless you're sure of your hardware compatability, dual
    boot and you'll be covered for anything...

    Dennis Gordon, Dec 20, 2005
  5. x64 is outstanding on my AMD64 Athlon x2 4400+. Did you contact the system
    builder and ask if x64 is available from them? x64 does not come standard
    on any system that I know of. You have to specify when you order the system
    or you will get XP x86.

    You are in a good position to install x64 in a dual boot configuration with
    your already installed x86 Windows.

    This is better than an x64 only system in many cases because some hardware
    devices which you already have may not have x64 drivers (and may never). I
    suggest you download the trial and install it to another drive or partition
    and see how it works for you.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2005