    Am I correct in assuming that amd machines are specific for either?
    Thanks for help and comments,
    Seamus J. Wilson
    Lori M. Wilson, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Lori M. Wilson

    Martik Guest

    "Lori M. Wilson" <> wrote in message
    news:g5MKe.243$uO2.23@fed1read07...
    >I am in process of updating my old slow engine.
    > Really confused by all the AMD socket choices for mainboards.
    > Is there any advantage for socket 754 ot 939?
    > Am I correct in assuming that amd machines are specific for either?
    > Thanks for help and comments,
    > Seamus J. Wilson

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/index.html

    Quick answer: 754 has very limited upgrade path go for 939 if you can afford
    it. Both are AMD ONLY. On a budget, consider Sempron on Socket A
    Martik, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Martik wrote:

    > "Lori M. Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >>I am in process of updating my old slow engine.
    >> Really confused by all the AMD socket choices for mainboards.
    >> Is there any advantage for socket 754 ot 939?
    >> Am I correct in assuming that amd machines are specific for either?
    >> Thanks for help and comments,
    >> Seamus J. Wilson
    >>

    > http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/index.html
    >
    > Quick answer: 754 has very limited upgrade path go for 939 if you can afford
    > it. Both are AMD ONLY. On a budget, consider Sempron on Socket A

    I think AMD and Socket A mobos are hard to beat for bang-for-the-buck.
    I'm on my third such CPU and second such mobo, now.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Lori M. Wilson

    Martik Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Martik wrote:
    >>
    >> "Lori M. Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am in process of updating my old slow engine.
    >>> Really confused by all the AMD socket choices for mainboards.
    >>> Is there any advantage for socket 754 ot 939?
    >>> Am I correct in assuming that amd machines are specific for either?
    >>> Thanks for help and comments,
    >>> Seamus J. Wilson
    >>>

    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/index.html
    >>
    >> Quick answer: 754 has very limited upgrade path go for 939 if you can
    >> afford
    >> it. Both are AMD ONLY. On a budget, consider Sempron on Socket A

    > I think AMD and Socket A mobos are hard to beat for bang-for-the-buck.
    > I'm on my third such CPU and second such mobo, now.
    >

    > --

    Yup, I've managed to migrate from a Duron 600 to a Athlon 1700 Overclocked
    to 2600 on the same board!
    Martik, Aug 11, 2005
  5. Martik wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Martik wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Lori M. Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/index.html
    >>>
    >>> Quick answer: 754 has very limited upgrade path go for 939 if you can
    >>> afford
    >>> it. Both are AMD ONLY. On a budget, consider Sempron on Socket A

    >> I think AMD and Socket A mobos are hard to beat for bang-for-the-buck.
    >> I'm on my third such CPU and second such mobo, now.
    >>

    >> --

    > Yup, I've managed to migrate from a Duron 600 to a Athlon 1700 Overclocked
    > to 2600 on the same board!

    Duron 600 -> Duron 1.1MHz -> Athlon 2400+, here. Epox and Shuttle mobos.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 11, 2005
  6. Lori M. Wilson