    seamlessly within XP64 or would XP32 start and run within XP 64 much like
    running a Mac OS 9 program on a Mac OSX machine?

    Joe
    Joe, May 14, 2004

  2. Joe

    Michael-NC Guest

    www.google.com

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > It is billed as windows compatible, so does standard Windows XP Pro run

    with

    Michael-NC, May 14, 2004

  3. Joe

    derek / nul Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:34:57 -0500, "Joe" <> wrote:

    >It is billed as windows compatible, so does standard Windows XP Pro run with
    >it?

    yes

    >If this is true even though the Processor is 64 bit

    It has 32 bit instructions and 64 bit extensions

    MUCH faster, see www.tomshardware.com

    >If you bought an Athlon 64 and install 64 bit Win Xp which you can get as
    >trial software, how would your 32 bit programs run? Would They run
    >seamlessly within XP64 or would XP32 start and run within XP 64 much like
    >running a Mac OS 9 program on a Mac OSX machine?

    no idea
    derek / nul, May 14, 2004
  4. Joe

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in

    > It is billed as windows compatible, so does standard Windows XP Pro
    > run with it?

    AMD64 chips can run any OS from DOS through Windows Server 2003. Any OS
    that can support 16, 32, or 64 bit processing modes.

    > If this is true even though the Processor is 64 bit it has to also be
    > able to run at 32 bit as standard Windows XP Pro is a 32 bit OS, so
    > would a AMD 64 2800+ running standard Windows XP Pro be any faster
    > than a AMD Barton core 2800+ running standard Windows XP Pro?

    It isn't true that because it's 64-bit it has to be able to run 32 bit
    software. Look at the Itanium. It can't run 32 bit software, it can
    only emulate a 32bit processor (which then runs the software).

    An Athlon 64 though, can run 32-bit software natively. Windows would
    more than likely not run any faster. I doubt you would see windows run
    any faster on an Athlon FX53 than it does on my Duron 800, because
    Windows is not that intensive. However, the system would run between 5%
    and 20% faster with an A64 vs an AXP. Reason: Onboard memory controller.
    Depending on what you do, it can be very minimal gains or /huge/
    performance gains. For most people, I'd say between 5% and 10%.

    > If you bought an Athlon 64 and install 64 bit Win Xp which you can get
    > as trial software, how would your 32 bit programs run? Would They run
    > seamlessly within XP64 or would XP32 start and run within XP 64 much
    > like running a Mac OS 9 program on a Mac OSX machine?

    32-bit programs would run OK. Microsoft has actually developed a WOW64
    program (Windows on Windows 64) that runs the 32-bit code as 64-bit
    applications. They won't run any faster than before, but they will run
    fine. WOW is the same technology that lets you run a 16-bit program on
    Windows XP (which is a 32-bit operating system).

    It is much more seemless than running a MacOS9 application on OSX.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, May 14, 2004