Amazon Video On Demand coming to Roku Player

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by DC, Jan 6, 2009.

  1. DC

    DC Guest

    CNET News http://xrl.us/bebojg

    Amazon Video On Demand http://xrl.us/AmazonVideo will be
    coming to the Roku Netflix Player in early 2009.

    Amazon's video service will become the first non-Netflix
    "channel" to be available on the Roku box. The service,
    formerly known as Amazon Unbox, offers more than 40,000
    movies and TV shows.

    While that dwarfs the 12,000 or so streaming titles
    currently available via Netflix--and includes many newer
    titles as they're released on DVD--they're available on a
    pay-per-view basis rather than the flat-fee subscription of
    the Netflix.

    A mid-December firmware update included the promise of "a
    number of great new channels that will begin to appear on
    your player in early 2009." That implies that Amazon is the
    first of several additional viewing options that will
    eventually be available on the box. Whether or not the Roku
    hardware will be rebranded to emphasize its more diverse
    choices beyond Netflix remains to be seen.

    Amazon Video On Demand is also available on TiVo DVRs and
    the Sony Bravia Internet Link, as well as on Windows PCs
    and Macs.
    DC, Jan 6, 2009

  2. DC

    QN Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    > CNET News http://xrl.us/bebojg
    >
    > Amazon Video On Demand http://xrl.us/AmazonVideo will be
    > coming to the Roku Netflix Player in early 2009.
    >
    > Amazon's video service will become the first non-Netflix
    > "channel" to be available on the Roku box. The service,
    > formerly known as Amazon Unbox, offers more than 40,000
    > movies and TV shows.
    >
    > While that dwarfs the 12,000 or so streaming titles
    > currently available via Netflix--and includes many newer
    > titles as they're released on DVD--they're available on a
    > pay-per-view basis rather than the flat-fee subscription of
    > the Netflix.
    >
    > A mid-December firmware update included the promise of "a
    > number of great new channels that will begin to appear on
    > your player in early 2009." That implies that Amazon is the
    > first of several additional viewing options that will
    > eventually be available on the box. Whether or not the Roku
    > hardware will be rebranded to emphasize its more diverse
    > choices beyond Netflix remains to be seen.
    >
    > Amazon Video On Demand is also available on TiVo DVRs and
    > the Sony Bravia Internet Link, as well as on Windows PCs
    > and Macs.

    I suppose I should look this up, but how much does Amazon charge for a
    streamed movie viewing?
    QN, Jan 6, 2009

  3. DC

    QN Guest

    Thanks for the link.

    $4.99 for an old "T2" is absurd.

    The 99 cent movies at Amazon are often in the list of free streaming Netflix
    movies.

    A single episode of season 2 Sarah Conner Chronicles is: $1.99

    These offerings are overpriced.

    A lot of the Netflix streaming videos are disappointing after 10 minutes,
    but all I have lost is the time. If I pay $4.99 for a movie, I may not like
    it. I would be out-of-luck.

    I'm willing to pay, but, in my opinion a TV episode like The Sarah Conner
    Chronicles should cost 20 cents. With a million sales, it would make a lot
    of gross revenue.

    I have to wonder what the actual overhead cost is to stream an an hour of HD
    on the internet.

    Season 4 (disk 1) Battlestar Galactica should be in my mailbox this
    afternoon.
    QN, Jan 6, 2009