Amazon MP3 Store is pretty damn good, but of course there's _always_ a catch :-(

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. Amazon MP3 store:
    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/163856011/ref=topnav_stor
    etab_dm_hp_nav_lk/105-2523711-3309222>

    To buy an album you need their special software which only runs on
    Winblows or MacOS 10.4. Well isn't that just _dandy_ given I still use
    MacOS 10.3 on my Macs and Linux on my PCs. WTF do they require this?
    There is NO good reason :-(

    Still, their prices are far cheaper than the iTMS and they've no DRM
    across the board. Their selection isn't anything to write home about,
    but hopefully that will change. I just wish I could buy albums!!! :-(
    For anything else I'll be picking them over the iTMS, but I _won't_
    upgrade my OS just to get a service - albums - that shouldn't require
    ANY special software in the first place. How stupid and pointless is
    that?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 26, 2007

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Mutlley Guest

    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >Amazon MP3 store:
    ><http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/163856011/ref=topnav_stor
    >etab_dm_hp_nav_lk/105-2523711-3309222>
    >
    >To buy an album you need their special software which only runs on
    >Winblows or MacOS 10.4. Well isn't that just _dandy_ given I still use
    >MacOS 10.3 on my Macs and Linux on my PCs. WTF do they require this?
    >There is NO good reason :-(
    >
    >Still, their prices are far cheaper than the iTMS and they've no DRM
    >across the board. Their selection isn't anything to write home about,
    >but hopefully that will change. I just wish I could buy albums!!! :-(
    >For anything else I'll be picking them over the iTMS, but I _won't_
    >upgrade my OS just to get a service - albums - that shouldn't require
    >ANY special software in the first place. How stupid and pointless is
    >that?
    >
    >Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    The other catch is " US customers only" so you don't have to worry
    about changing your OS

    Mutlley, Sep 27, 2007

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    sam Guest

    Re: Amazon MP3 Store is pretty damn good, but of course there's _always_

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Amazon MP3 store:
    > <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/163856011/ref=topnav_stor
    > etab_dm_hp_nav_lk/105-2523711-3309222>
    >
    > To buy an album you need their special software which only runs on
    > Winblows or MacOS 10.4. Well isn't that just _dandy_ given I still use
    > MacOS 10.3 on my Macs and Linux on my PCs. WTF do they require this?
    > There is NO good reason :-(
    >
    > Still, their prices are far cheaper than the iTMS and they've no DRM
    > across the board. Their selection isn't anything to write home about,
    > but hopefully that will change. I just wish I could buy albums!!! :-(
    > For anything else I'll be picking them over the iTMS, but I _won't_
    > upgrade my OS just to get a service - albums - that shouldn't require
    > ANY special software in the first place. How stupid and pointless is
    > that?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    The itunes store requires special software called itunes, it might very
    well be stupid and pointless, but its not new.

    sam, Sep 27, 2007
  4. Mutlley <> wrote:

    > (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >
    > >Amazon MP3 store:
    > ><http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/163856011/ref=topnav_stor
    > >etab_dm_hp_nav_lk/105-2523711-3309222>
    > >
    > >To buy an album you need their special software which only runs on
    > >Winblows or MacOS 10.4. Well isn't that just _dandy_ given I still use
    > >MacOS 10.3 on my Macs and Linux on my PCs. WTF do they require this?
    > >There is NO good reason :-(
    > >
    > >Still, their prices are far cheaper than the iTMS and they've no DRM
    > >across the board. Their selection isn't anything to write home about,
    > >but hopefully that will change. I just wish I could buy albums!!! :-(
    > >For anything else I'll be picking them over the iTMS, but I _won't_
    > >upgrade my OS just to get a service - albums - that shouldn't require
    > >ANY special software in the first place. How stupid and pointless is
    > >that?
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > The other catch is " US customers only" so you don't have to worry
    > about changing your OS

    Any US address will work. I just use a friend's and have bought four
    tracks now.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 27, 2007
  5. sam <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Amazon MP3 store:
    > > <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/163856011/ref=topnav_stor
    > > etab_dm_hp_nav_lk/105-2523711-3309222>
    > >
    > > To buy an album you need their special software which only runs on
    > > Winblows or MacOS 10.4. Well isn't that just _dandy_ given I still use
    > > MacOS 10.3 on my Macs and Linux on my PCs. WTF do they require this?
    > > There is NO good reason :-(
    > >
    > > Still, their prices are far cheaper than the iTMS and they've no DRM
    > > across the board. Their selection isn't anything to write home about,
    > > but hopefully that will change. I just wish I could buy albums!!! :-(
    > > For anything else I'll be picking them over the iTMS, but I _won't_
    > > upgrade my OS just to get a service - albums - that shouldn't require
    > > ANY special software in the first place. How stupid and pointless is
    > > that?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > >

    > The itunes store requires special software called itunes, it might very
    > well be stupid and pointless, but its not new.

    No shit, sherlock. Congratulations on TOTALLY missing the point. Fucking
    hell, do you miss the point on purpose just to piss people off? iTunes
    is a different idea - a music jukebox and podcast client - that
    _includes_ an extremely well integrated store (and it's that integration
    that has helped make iTunes such a success... but now I'm getting off
    track...).

    Amazon's service is just that - ONLY a service (NOT a jukebox, NOT a
    podcast client, NOTHING else), which should require no special software
    (and it doesn't for individual song purchases - so you know the album
    limitation is total bullshit). There is NO REASON why album downloads of
    LAME encoded MP3s off a website should require anything other than a
    reasonably modern web browser.

    In fact I defy anyone to provide a concrete technical reason for
    Amazon's asinine limitation. I can't help wonder if the record companies
    forced Amazon to do this. It smells like their brand of stupidity. But
    what on earth does it accomplish???

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 27, 2007
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > sam <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >>> Amazon MP3 store:
    >>> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/163856011/ref=topnav_stor
    >>> etab_dm_hp_nav_lk/105-2523711-3309222>
    >>>
    >>> To buy an album you need their special software which only runs on
    >>> Winblows or MacOS 10.4. Well isn't that just _dandy_ given I still use
    >>> MacOS 10.3 on my Macs and Linux on my PCs. WTF do they require this?
    >>> There is NO good reason :-(
    >>>
    >>> Still, their prices are far cheaper than the iTMS and they've no DRM
    >>> across the board. Their selection isn't anything to write home about,
    >>> but hopefully that will change. I just wish I could buy albums!!! :-(
    >>> For anything else I'll be picking them over the iTMS, but I _won't_
    >>> upgrade my OS just to get a service - albums - that shouldn't require
    >>> ANY special software in the first place. How stupid and pointless is
    >>> that?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Jamie Kahn Genet
    >>>

    >> The itunes store requires special software called itunes, it might very
    >> well be stupid and pointless, but its not new.

    > No shit, sherlock. Congratulations on TOTALLY missing the point. Fucking
    > hell, do you miss the point on purpose just to piss people off? iTunes
    > is a different idea - a music jukebox and podcast client - that
    > _includes_ an extremely well integrated store (and it's that integration
    > that has helped make iTunes such a success... but now I'm getting off
    > track...).
    >
    > Amazon's service is just that - ONLY a service (NOT a jukebox, NOT a
    > podcast client, NOTHING else), which should require no special software
    > (and it doesn't for individual song purchases - so you know the album
    > limitation is total bullshit). There is NO REASON why album downloads of
    > LAME encoded MP3s off a website should require anything other than a
    > reasonably modern web browser.
    >
    > In fact I defy anyone to provide a concrete technical reason for
    > Amazon's asinine limitation. I can't help wonder if the record companies
    > forced Amazon to do this. It smells like their brand of stupidity. But
    > what on earth does it accomplish???
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    So you use their one click and its added to your media player setup.
    They are trying to make it simple.
    Its Apple that has made it hard for other vendors to integrate their
    store into iTunes
    Get it yet ?

    sam, Sep 27, 2007
  7. sam <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > sam <> wrote:

    > >> The itunes store requires special software called itunes, it might very
    > >> well be stupid and pointless, but its not new.

    > > No shit, sherlock. Congratulations on TOTALLY missing the point. Fucking
    > > hell, do you miss the point on purpose just to piss people off? iTunes
    > > is a different idea - a music jukebox and podcast client - that
    > > _includes_ an extremely well integrated store (and it's that integration
    > > that has helped make iTunes such a success... but now I'm getting off
    > > track...).
    > >
    > > Amazon's service is just that - ONLY a service (NOT a jukebox, NOT a
    > > podcast client, NOTHING else), which should require no special software
    > > (and it doesn't for individual song purchases - so you know the album
    > > limitation is total bullshit). There is NO REASON why album downloads of
    > > LAME encoded MP3s off a website should require anything other than a
    > > reasonably modern web browser.
    > >
    > > In fact I defy anyone to provide a concrete technical reason for
    > > Amazon's asinine limitation. I can't help wonder if the record companies
    > > forced Amazon to do this. It smells like their brand of stupidity. But
    > > what on earth does it accomplish???
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > So you use their one click and its added to your media player setup.
    > They are trying to make it simple.
    > Its Apple that has made it hard for other vendors to integrate their
    > store into iTunes
    > Get it yet ?

    How is dragging an MP3 (or other supported format) file onto iTunes
    hard? Or do you mean "Its Apple that has made it hard for other vendors
    USING DRM to integrate their store into iTunes"? Because THAT would be
    true. But iTunes works perfectly fine with other stores that don't use
    DRM or stupid formats like WMP.

    And WTF has their one click buying got to do with anything when they
    won't let me buy an album without using their software?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 27, 2007
  8. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > sam <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    >>> No shit, sherlock. Congratulations on TOTALLY missing the point. Fucking
    >>> hell, do you miss the point on purpose just to piss people off? iTunes
    >>> is a different idea - a music jukebox and podcast client - that
    >>> _includes_ an extremely well integrated store (and it's that integration
    >>> that has helped make iTunes such a success... but now I'm getting off
    >>> track...).
    >>>
    >>> Amazon's service is just that - ONLY a service (NOT a jukebox, NOT a
    >>> podcast client, NOTHING else), which should require no special software
    >>> (and it doesn't for individual song purchases - so you know the album
    >>> limitation is total bullshit). There is NO REASON why album downloads of
    >>> LAME encoded MP3s off a website should require anything other than a
    >>> reasonably modern web browser.
    >>>
    >>> In fact I defy anyone to provide a concrete technical reason for
    >>> Amazon's asinine limitation. I can't help wonder if the record companies
    >>> forced Amazon to do this. It smells like their brand of stupidity. But
    >>> what on earth does it accomplish???
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Jamie Kahn Genet

    >> So you use their one click and its added to your media player setup.
    >> They are trying to make it simple.
    >> Its Apple that has made it hard for other vendors to integrate their
    >> store into iTunes
    >> Get it yet ?

    > How is dragging an MP3 (or other supported format) file onto iTunes
    > hard? Or do you mean "Its Apple that has made it hard for other vendors
    > USING DRM to integrate their store into iTunes"? Because THAT would be
    > true. But iTunes works perfectly fine with other stores that don't use
    > DRM or stupid formats like WMP.
    >
    > And WTF has their one click buying got to do with anything when they
    > won't let me buy an album without using their software?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    I presume they could just let you download a zip file, extract it,
    import it into whatever player, but they aren't going to.
    I'm not their advocate, but you nutted off at me and said you defy
    anyone etc etc, I'm just patiently trying to explain why Amazon would do
    such a thing
    Amazon wants to make it as easy as buying through the itunes store, to
    negate Apples advantage of having the store integrated into their
    player, if Apple allowed different stores to be accessed from itunes,
    Amazon would have no need to produce an unpacking application for their
    store.
    You click the album, your CC gets billed and it appears in the itunes
    database, or in Windows media player, in a folder, presumably there is a
    zip file involved for an album and playlist package. They are just
    bundling functionality that doesn't exist in a browser. Apparently there
    is a linux version in the pipeline.
    Their target is all the other people that don't have a problem with
    that, not you.

    sam, Sep 27, 2007
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Mutlley Guest

    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >Mutlley <> wrote:
    >
    >> (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >>
    >> >Amazon MP3 store:
    >> ><http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/163856011/ref=topnav_stor
    >> >etab_dm_hp_nav_lk/105-2523711-3309222>
    >> >
    >> >To buy an album you need their special software which only runs on
    >> >Winblows or MacOS 10.4. Well isn't that just _dandy_ given I still use
    >> >MacOS 10.3 on my Macs and Linux on my PCs. WTF do they require this?
    >> >There is NO good reason :-(
    >> >
    >> >Still, their prices are far cheaper than the iTMS and they've no DRM
    >> >across the board. Their selection isn't anything to write home about,
    >> >but hopefully that will change. I just wish I could buy albums!!! :-(
    >> >For anything else I'll be picking them over the iTMS, but I _won't_
    >> >upgrade my OS just to get a service - albums - that shouldn't require
    >> >ANY special software in the first place. How stupid and pointless is
    >> >that?
    >> >
    >> >Regards,
    >> > Jamie Kahn Genet

    >> The other catch is " US customers only" so you don't have to worry
    >> about changing your OS

    >Any US address will work. I just use a friend's and have bought four
    >tracks now.

    Actually i just logged in and changed my address to CA, 90210, USA
    and it downloaded OK.

    After went back and changed it again. Will set up a new account with
    a US address just for this i think..

    Wish itunes was that simple..

    Mutlley, Sep 27, 2007
  10. Mutlley <> wrote:

    > (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >
    > >Mutlley <> wrote:

    > >> The other catch is " US customers only" so you don't have to worry
    > >> about changing your OS

    > >Any US address will work. I just use a friend's and have bought four
    > >tracks now.

    > Actually i just logged in and changed my address to CA, 90210, USA
    > and it downloaded OK.
    >
    > After went back and changed it again. Will set up a new account with
    > a US address just for this i think..
    >
    > Wish itunes was that simple..

    Yeah, I wish I wasn't forced to use the NZ iTunes store - it's
    overpriced compared to the US store. Still, if there's ever a single
    track I want to buy and it's also on Amazon - that's where I'll be going
    instead. I just wish I could buy albums on my older Macs and Linux
    machines :-( But I shouldn't harp on about that. Amazon never even
    bothered replying to my complaint. Meh.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 28, 2007