Amazon harbors criminals

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by maxhodges, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. maxhodges

    maxhodges Guest

    I purchased a DVD from this Amazon Marketplace seller "pandadvd" and I
    received a counterfeit DVD in the mail. It has all the tell-tale signs
    of a Chinese copy, typos like "COLDR" instead of "Color" and "Mastered
    in Highn Definition." The DVD was also defective.

    I wrote Amazon about this issue more than half-a-dozen times, but they
    have no delisted this seller. At one point they offered me a gift
    certificate apparently to get me to shutup about it. I am very
    disappointed with Amazon for not taking action aganist this seller.
    Producers don't make a penny when criminals copy and sell their work.
    Amazon may even be legally liable for knowing providing a habor for
    such criminal activity. Amazon knows about this seller because I have
    told them. I think amazon would do something if this story made
    headlines. I am not seeking any refund or reimbursement or reward. I
    simply think this seller should be banned from selling on Amazon. Why
    doesn't Amazon think that is the acceptable and ethical thing to do?
    It may also be the correct legal action to take.

    I'd be happy to provide any documents to support all facts stated.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/selle...in=&marketplaceSeller=1&seller=A22IEMPA438OSP

    If you read his feedback carefully, you can find other mentions of
    this scam:

    "DVD didn't work in any of my players or computers. Good communication
    until I sent the DVD back, then there was NO communication."
    Date: 08/07/2004 Rated by Buyer: rodneyecurtis

    "DVD arrived as promised. It was a Chinese edition, but I'm still
    satisfied as it played perfectly."
    Date: 08/03/2004 Rated by Buyer: johnferguson16

    "This is COPY!!!!!!!@I was disappointed."
    Date: 07/28/2004 Rated by Buyer: niena3230

    "I was unhappy with the purchase because the dvd I bought didn't have
    any of the special features that you would get if you had bought it
    from a local retailer."
    Date: 07/28/2004 Rated by Buyer:

    "A little upset by all the chinese on it"
    Date: 06/29/2004 Rated by Buyer: Craig H.

    Here is the feedback I left, and the complete lie he left as a
    response:
    "COUNTERFEIT DVD! DON'T BUY! Film producers make nothing! It has all
    the tell-tale typos of a Chinese replica. "PANDA" DVD obvious China
    connection. Reported them to FBI."
    Date: 07/05/2004 Rated by Buyer: white_rabbit_press

    "Please don't leave bad feedback just ttry to knock out competition.
    You do you lie about my production? you sell same DVD titles as I am
    selling"
    Date: 07/05/2004 pandadvd

    maxhodges, Aug 8, 2004

  2. >I purchased a DVD from this Amazon Marketplace seller "pandadvd" and I
    >received a counterfeit DVD in the mail. It has all the tell-tale signs
    >of a Chinese copy, typos like "COLDR" instead of "Color" and "Mastered
    >in Highn Definition." The DVD was also defective.
    >

    >I wrote Amazon about this issue more than half-a-dozen times, but they
    >have no delisted this seller. At one point they offered me a gift
    >certificate apparently to get me to shutup about it. I am very
    >disappointed with Amazon for not taking action aganist this seller.
    >Producers don't make a penny when criminals copy and sell their work.
    >Amazon may even be legally liable for knowing providing a habor for
    >such criminal activity. Amazon knows about this seller because I have
    >told them. I think amazon would do something if this story made
    >headlines. I am not seeking any refund or reimbursement or reward. I
    >simply think this seller should be banned from selling on Amazon. Why
    >doesn't Amazon think that is the acceptable and ethical thing to do?
    >It may also be the correct legal action to take.
    >
    >I'd be happy to provide any documents to support all facts stated.

    I'm sorry, did you say something? I wasn't paying attention.

    Rupert Pupkin, Aug 8, 2004

  3. maxhodges

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Rupert Pupkin" <> wrote in message
    > >I purchased a DVD from this Amazon Marketplace seller "pandadvd" and I
    > >received a counterfeit DVD in the mail. It has all the tell-tale signs
    > >of a Chinese copy, typos like "COLDR" instead of "Color" and "Mastered
    > >in Highn Definition." The DVD was also defective.
    > >

    > >I wrote Amazon about this issue more than half-a-dozen times, but they
    > >have no delisted this seller. At one point they offered me a gift
    > >certificate apparently to get me to shutup about it. I am very
    > >disappointed with Amazon for not taking action aganist this seller.
    > >Producers don't make a penny when criminals copy and sell their work.
    > >Amazon may even be legally liable for knowing providing a habor for
    > >such criminal activity. Amazon knows about this seller because I have
    > >told them. I think amazon would do something if this story made
    > >headlines. I am not seeking any refund or reimbursement or reward. I
    > >simply think this seller should be banned from selling on Amazon. Why
    > >doesn't Amazon think that is the acceptable and ethical thing to do?
    > >It may also be the correct legal action to take.
    > >
    > >I'd be happy to provide any documents to support all facts stated.
    > >

    > I'm sorry, did you say something? I wasn't paying attention.

    LOL! You're the king of comedy!

    Jay Stewart, Aug 8, 2004
  4. "maxhodges" <> wrote in message
    > I purchased a DVD from this Amazon Marketplace seller "pandadvd" and I
    > received a counterfeit DVD in the mail. It has all the tell-tale signs
    > of a Chinese copy, typos like "COLDR" instead of "Color" and "Mastered
    > in Highn Definition." The DVD was also defective.
    >

    > I wrote Amazon about this issue more than half-a-dozen times, but they
    > have no delisted this seller. At one point they offered me a gift
    > certificate apparently to get me to shutup about it. I am very
    > disappointed with Amazon for not taking action aganist this seller.
    > Producers don't make a penny when criminals copy and sell their work.
    > Amazon may even be legally liable for knowing providing a habor for
    > such criminal activity. Amazon knows about this seller because I have
    > told them. I think amazon would do something if this story made
    > headlines. I am not seeking any refund or reimbursement or reward. I
    > simply think this seller should be banned from selling on Amazon. Why
    > doesn't Amazon think that is the acceptable and ethical thing to do?
    > It may also be the correct legal action to take.
    >
    > I'd be happy to provide any documents to support all facts stated.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/selle...in=&marketplaceSeller=1&seller=A22IEMPA438OSP

    > If you read his feedback carefully, you can find other mentions of
    > this scam:
    >
    > "DVD didn't work in any of my players or computers. Good communication
    > until I sent the DVD back, then there was NO communication."
    > Date: 08/07/2004 Rated by Buyer: rodneyecurtis
    >
    > "DVD arrived as promised. It was a Chinese edition, but I'm still
    > satisfied as it played perfectly."
    > Date: 08/03/2004 Rated by Buyer: johnferguson16
    >
    > "This is COPY!!!!!!!@I was disappointed."
    > Date: 07/28/2004 Rated by Buyer: niena3230
    >
    > "I was unhappy with the purchase because the dvd I bought didn't have
    > any of the special features that you would get if you had bought it
    > from a local retailer."
    > Date: 07/28/2004 Rated by Buyer:
    >
    > "A little upset by all the chinese on it"
    > Date: 06/29/2004 Rated by Buyer: Craig H.
    >
    > Here is the feedback I left, and the complete lie he left as a
    > response:
    > "COUNTERFEIT DVD! DON'T BUY! Film producers make nothing! It has all
    > the tell-tale typos of a Chinese replica. "PANDA" DVD obvious China
    > connection. Reported them to FBI."
    > Date: 07/05/2004 Rated by Buyer: white_rabbit_press
    >
    > "Please don't leave bad feedback just ttry to knock out competition.
    > You do you lie about my production? you sell same DVD titles as I am
    > selling"
    > Date: 07/05/2004 pandadvd

    Yeah, I know...I also think it's awful when Amazon lets people buy from them
    who don't understand grammar and can't spell "not" ("no delisted" -
    delisted?), "aganist" (should be "against"), and "knowing providing" (? -
    I'm guessing "knowingly").

    So why did you buy from them unless you couldn't get the DVD elsewhere...?
    That sounds like you were looking for trouble to me....

    Rob McCartney, Aug 9, 2004
  5. On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:29:16 -0400, "Rob McCartney"
    <> wrote:

    >Yeah, I know...I also think it's awful when Amazon lets people buy from them
    >who don't understand grammar and can't spell "not" ("no delisted" -
    >delisted?), "aganist" (should be "against"), and "knowing providing" (? -
    >I'm guessing "knowingly").
    >
    >So why did you buy from them unless you couldn't get the DVD elsewhere...?
    >That sounds like you were looking for trouble to me....

    He was looking for a good deal on a DVD, who could blame him? This is
    the same thing that Microsoft is cracking down on. Unfortunately, from
    the spam I've been seeing, there's a lot more software counterfieters
    out there than MS can handle, and they're still in business. Still,
    Amazon should not be providing a conduit for a counterfieter's sales.
    What would I recommend? How about talking to someone at the Washington
    Post or other newspaper that is known for blowing the lid on things
    like this. Or, try your local television news. They are always looking
    for some kind of attention-grabbing story to fill airtime.

    Richard Hassinger, Aug 9, 2004
  6. maxhodges

    Otter Guest

    On 8 Aug 2004 11:30:14 -0700, (maxhodges) wrote:

    >If you read his feedback carefully, you can find other mentions of
    >this scam:

    um, shouldn't you have read the feedback from the seller first? You
    wouldn't have gotten ripped off if you had.

    Also, did you file a proper claim with Amazon or just complain?
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/537868/104-2644673-4333563

    -Otter

    Otter, Aug 9, 2004
  7. maxhodges wrote:

    > I purchased a DVD from this Amazon Marketplace seller "pandadvd" and I
    > received a counterfeit DVD in the mail. It has all the tell-tale signs
    > of a Chinese copy, typos like "COLDR" instead of "Color" and "Mastered
    > in Highn Definition." The DVD was also defective.
    >
    > I wrote Amazon about this issue more than half-a-dozen times, but they
    > have no delisted this seller. At one point they offered me a gift
    > certificate apparently to get me to shutup about it. I am very
    > disappointed with Amazon for not taking action aganist this seller.
    > Producers don't make a penny when criminals copy and sell their work.
    > Amazon may even be legally liable for knowing providing a habor for
    > such criminal activity. Amazon knows about this seller because I have
    > told them. I think amazon would do something if this story made
    > headlines. I am not seeking any refund or reimbursement or reward. I
    > simply think this seller should be banned from selling on Amazon. Why
    > doesn't Amazon think that is the acceptable and ethical thing to do?
    > It may also be the correct legal action to take.
    >
    > I'd be happy to provide any documents to support all facts stated.

    What DVD did you buy and what price did you pay?

    LVIII

    Lord Vader III, Aug 9, 2004
  8. maxhodges

    Wade365 Guest

    Most of the crap that's listed as "Customer Feedback" on amazon or any of those
    types of sites is trumped up trash... just read them and you can see that the
    seller has posted most of them (look at the signatures, fake fake fake) to try
    and fish people in...

    I'm very sorry for your getting taken. I ordered a copy of the then-OP "Dog
    Soldiers" from a New/Used seller and it took me FOREVER to get my money back
    when the snots didn't make good on the transaction... it was literally a few
    months. I felt like a real bastard making a huge fuss over $17US but it's the
    principle of it...

    Wade365, Aug 9, 2004
  9. maxhodges

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    > Most of the crap that's listed as "Customer Feedback" on amazon or
    > any of those types of sites is trumped up trash... just read them and
    > you can see that the seller has posted most of them (look at the
    > signatures, fake fake fake) to try and fish people in...

    They do that on eBay to build up feedback before they start ripping
    people off for some big ticket items, but it doesn't sound like
    something people who sell import DVDs would ever bother with.

    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

    FAQmeister, Aug 10, 2004
  10. maxhodges

    Otter Guest

    On 09 Aug 2004 13:54:39 GMT, (Wade365) wrote:

    >Most of the crap that's listed as "Customer Feedback" on amazon or any of those
    >types of sites is trumped up trash... just read them and you can see that the
    >seller has posted most of them (look at the signatures, fake fake fake) to try
    >and fish people in...

    But the poster said there was negative feedback for the seller. So...
    had he bothered to even look before buying he would have saved himself
    a headache.

    -Otter

    Otter, Aug 10, 2004
  11. maxhodges

    Eric R. Guest

    Richard Hassinger <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > He was looking for a good deal on a DVD, who could blame him?

    Here's a hint. If the movie is still in theaters, they're selling it
    for $5, and the address for the seller is in Hong Kong...guess what
    you'll be getting?

    -Eric

    Eric R., Aug 10, 2004
  12. You deserve everything you got for dealing with Amazon. They are one
    of the crookedest of the online businesses. Do as I did, I added them
    to my filters, and never see their scam website anymore.

    fuckamazon@_______.com, Aug 11, 2004
  13. maxhodges

    Richard C. Guest

    Send all of your information to .

    =============
    "maxhodges" <> wrote in message
    : I purchased a DVD from this Amazon Marketplace seller "pandadvd" and I
    : received a counterfeit DVD in the mail. It has all the tell-tale signs
    : of a Chinese copy, typos like "COLDR" instead of "Color" and "Mastered
    : in Highn Definition." The DVD was also defective.
    :
    :
[...]
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/home.html/104-7934461-0830306?_en
    coding=UTF8&asin=&marketplaceSeller=1&seller=A22IEMPA438OSP
    :
    : If you read his feedback carefully, you can find other mentions of
    : this scam:
    :
    : "DVD didn't work in any of my players or computers. Good communication
    : until I sent the DVD back, then there was NO communication."
    : Date: 08/07/2004 Rated by Buyer: rodneyecurtis
    :
    : "DVD arrived as promised. It was a Chinese edition, but I'm still
    : satisfied as it played perfectly."
    : Date: 08/03/2004 Rated by Buyer: johnferguson16
    :
    : "This is COPY!!!!!!!@I was disappointed."
    : Date: 07/28/2004 Rated by Buyer: niena3230
    :
    : "I was unhappy with the purchase because the dvd I bought didn't have
    : any of the special features that you would get if you had bought it
    : from a local retailer."
    : Date: 07/28/2004 Rated by Buyer:
    :
    : "A little upset by all the chinese on it"
    : Date: 06/29/2004 Rated by Buyer: Craig H.
    :
    : Here is the feedback I left, and the complete lie he left as a
    : response:
    : "COUNTERFEIT DVD! DON'T BUY! Film producers make nothing! It has all
    : the tell-tale typos of a Chinese replica. "PANDA" DVD obvious China
    : connection. Reported them to FBI."
    : Date: 07/05/2004 Rated by Buyer: white_rabbit_press
    :
    : "Please don't leave bad feedback just ttry to knock out competition.
    : You do you lie about my production? you sell same DVD titles as I am
    : selling"
    : Date: 07/05/2004 pandadvd

    Richard C., Aug 11, 2004
  14. maxhodges

    Richard C. Guest

    "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    : "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    : news:
    : > Most of the crap that's listed as "Customer Feedback" on amazon or
    : > any of those types of sites is trumped up trash... just read them
    and
    : > you can see that the seller has posted most of them (look at the
    : > signatures, fake fake fake) to try and fish people in...
    :
    : They do that on eBay to build up feedback before they start ripping
    : people off for some big ticket items, but it doesn't sound like
    : something people who sell import DVDs would ever bother with.
    :
    =================
    Care to prove that?
    eBay feedback is virtually ALL real feedback.

    Richard C., Aug 11, 2004
  15. maxhodges

    Richard C. Guest

    <fuckamazon@_______.com> wrote in message
    : You deserve everything you got for dealing with Amazon. They are one
    : of the crookedest of the online businesses. Do as I did, I added them
    : to my filters, and never see their scam website anymore.
    :
    :
    ==================
    Why did you need to add it to your filters?
    The only way you would see it is if you actually went there.
    ==================

    Richard C., Aug 11, 2004
  16. maxhodges

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    >> "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    >>> Most of the crap that's listed as "Customer Feedback" on amazon or
    >>> any of those types of sites is trumped up trash... just read them
    >>> and you can see that the seller has posted most of them (look at the
    >>> signatures, fake fake fake) to try and fish people in...

    >> They do that on eBay to build up feedback before they start ripping
    >> people off for some big ticket items, but it doesn't sound like
    >> something people who sell import DVDs would ever bother with.
    >>

    > =================
    > Care to prove that?
    > eBay feedback is virtually ALL real feedback.

    You couldn't be more wrong about that.

    Here are just a couple of examples of the "Selling items that cost
    almost nothing with no shipping, and mention feedback in the auction
    title" method:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=317&item=5914554295&rd=1

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1467&item=5513304765&rd=1

    Also people set up fake eBay accounts to bid on their own auctions so
    they can leave themselves feedback. I've dealt with a seller who did
    this. When I didn't receive the item I paid for I looked at who left him
    positive feedback and it turned out to be people who they had left
    positive feedback for and it soon became clear that they were using
    multiple accounts to build up their own feedback. I reported this to
    eBay and the account that ripped me off was closed but not the sellers'
    other accounts that were used to build up the fake feedback. I can't
    show you this example now because it happened a while ago and the
    auctions are no longer in the database.

    Other sellers use friends and family members to bid on their auctions
    and leave
    feedback.

    If that's not enough proof for you, then do a Google-groups search on
    "fake feedback."

    FAQmeister, Aug 11, 2004
  17. maxhodges

    : "Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
    : news:411a534a$0$2468$
    : > "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    : > news:cf97na$hir$...
    : >> "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    : >> news:
    : >>> Most of the crap that's listed as "Customer Feedback" on amazon or
    : >>> any of those types of sites is trumped up trash... just read them
    : >>> and you can see that the seller has posted most of them (look at
    the
    : >>> signatures, fake fake fake) to try and fish people in...
    : >>
    : > =================
[...]
    : --
    ====================
    A few isolated cases.
    As I said, "eBay feedback is virtually ALL real feedback."

    Faking 900+ feedback rating is virtually impossible to do.

    Richard C., Aug 13, 2004
  18. maxhodges

    SRT Guest

    "maxhodges" <> wrote in message
    > I purchased a DVD from this Amazon Marketplace seller "pandadvd" and I
    > received a counterfeit DVD in the mail. It has all the tell-tale signs
    > of a Chinese copy, typos like "COLDR" instead of "Color" and "Mastered
    > in Highn Definition." The DVD was also defective.

    you could always try eCrooks'r'Us/PayCrooks'r'Us (otherwise known as
    eBay/PayPal)!

    srt

    SRT, Aug 14, 2004
  19. maxhodges

    maxhodges Guest

    > What DVD did you buy and what price did you pay?

    Here are the details of your completed Amazon Marketplace sale:

    Order #: 058-2836584-3430747
    Listings: 1
    Total Item Count: 1
    Listing 1: The Fog of War - Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S.
    McNamara [DVD] (2004

    http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y04Y6316670Y9766145
    Listing ID: 0628F336577
    SKU:
    Quantity: 1
    Buyer's Price: $10.99

    maxhodges, Aug 15, 2004
  20. maxhodges

    maxhodges Guest

    There wasn't much feedback prior to mine (dated 7/5/2004)

    maxhodges, Aug 15, 2004