!Amazing Apple inovation again shows the world how it's done again!!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    Apple Corp is on an innovation roll this year....

    First they decided that to keep ahead of the IT 'game' they'd be truly
    innovative by dumping the concept of the proprietary CPU architecture to run
    their OS on for the generic INTEL model....

    Now they've come up with this amazing piece of technology!

    Another first for Apple: Multi-Button Mouse
    http://news.techwhack.com/1815/apple-multi-button-mouse/

    Yes, that's RIGHT! A MULTI-BUTTON mouse for the Mac.....

    Whatever will they think of next????

    ;-)

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Aug 4, 2005

  2. Max Burke

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:42:21 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

    > Apple Corp is on an innovation roll this year....
    >
    > First they decided that to keep ahead of the IT 'game' they'd be truly
    > innovative by dumping the concept of the proprietary CPU architecture to
    > run their OS on for the generic INTEL model....

    [snip]

    Intel's processor chips are no less proprietary than the PowerPC.
    Who says that Apple will build their Intel-based models using generic
    PC architecture? Apple will still be building apples.

    Murray Symon, Aug 4, 2005

  3. Re: !Amazing Apple inovation again shows the world how it's doneagain!!!

    Hi there,

    Max Burke wrote:
    > Apple Corp is on an innovation roll this year....
    >
    > First they decided that to keep ahead of the IT 'game' they'd be truly
    > innovative by dumping the concept of the proprietary CPU architecture to
    > run their OS on for the generic INTEL model....
    >
    > Now they've come up with this amazing piece of technology!
    >
    > Another first for Apple: Multi-Button Mouse
    > http://news.techwhack.com/1815/apple-multi-button-mouse/
    >
    > Yes, that's RIGHT! A MULTI-BUTTON mouse for the Mac.....
    >
    > Whatever will they think of next????
    >
    > ;-)

    Hehe! Wonders never cease! :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Max Burke

    Rob Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    > Apple Corp is on an innovation roll this year....
    >
    > First they decided that to keep ahead of the IT 'game' they'd be truly
    > innovative by dumping the concept of the proprietary CPU architecture to

    run
    > their OS on for the generic INTEL model....
    >
    > Now they've come up with this amazing piece of technology!
    >
    > Another first for Apple: Multi-Button Mouse
    > http://news.techwhack.com/1815/apple-multi-button-mouse/
    >
    > Yes, that's RIGHT! A MULTI-BUTTON mouse for the Mac.....
    >
    > Whatever will they think of next????
    >
    > ;-)
    >

    > --
    >
    > Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    > Found Images
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke

    It has a ball for a 'wheel' which is a new thing.

    Rob, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Max Burke

    Neil Guest

    Murray Symon wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:42:21 +1200, Max Burke wrote:
    >

    >>Apple Corp is on an innovation roll this year....
    >>
    >>First they decided that to keep ahead of the IT 'game' they'd be truly
    >>innovative by dumping the concept of the proprietary CPU architecture to
    >>run their OS on for the generic INTEL model....
    >>

    > [snip]
    >
    > Intel's processor chips are no less proprietary than the PowerPC.
    > Who says that Apple will build their Intel-based models using generic
    > PC architecture? Apple will still be building apples.

    My understanding is the developer box that have been released by apple
    are P4 3.6 Ghz on a standard motherboard so the final version will be
    something similar Although I'm sure Apple will TRY and make sure You can
    only load OsX on to there intel Machines so they can charge to much for
    them

    Neil, Aug 4, 2005
  6. Max Burke

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 19:42:21 +1200, "Max Burke" <>
    wrote:

    >Apple Corp is on an innovation roll this year....
    >
    >First they decided that to keep ahead of the IT 'game' they'd be truly
    >innovative by dumping the concept of the proprietary CPU architecture to run
    >their OS on for the generic INTEL model....
    >
    >Now they've come up with this amazing piece of technology!
    >
    >Another first for Apple: Multi-Button Mouse
    >http://news.techwhack.com/1815/apple-multi-button-mouse/
    >
    >Yes, that's RIGHT! A MULTI-BUTTON mouse for the Mac.....
    >
    >Whatever will they think of next????
    >
    >;-)

    Glad I saw the smiley. Nothing new here.

    Where are the headlines "Apple consedes to Microsoft lead"

    Now whats the smiley for stirring?

    Bruce.

    Bruce Knox, Aug 4, 2005
  7. Re: !Amazing Apple inovation again shows the world how it'sdoneagain!!!

    In <dcsmiq$uq1$> Neil wrote:

    > Murray Symon wrote:

    >> Intel's processor chips are no less proprietary than the PowerPC.
    >> Who says that Apple will build their Intel-based models using generic
    >> PC architecture? Apple will still be building apples.

    > My understanding is the developer box that have been released by apple
    > are P4 3.6 Ghz on a standard motherboard so the final version will be
    > something similar

    Word on the street suggests that the final product will be nothing like
    the developer boxes, which were produced purely for the purpose of
    testing code compiled for x86. In fact, all of these developer boxes are
    required to eventually be returned to Apple.

    > Although I'm sure Apple will TRY and make sure You
    > can only load OsX on to there intel Machines so they can charge to
    > much for them

    They will charge a premium for their hardware to cover the costs of
    their software development, and they will not sell OS X for generic x86
    machines as a shrink-wrapped product, because they would need to include
    drivers for every conceivable make and model of PC component. This is a
    path that Apple do not want to go down.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    posting.

    Alastair McAllister, Aug 4, 2005
  8. Max Burke

    Rob J Guest

    On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:12:54 +1200, Murray Symon
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:42:21 +1200, Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >> Apple Corp is on an innovation roll this year....
    >>
    >> First they decided that to keep ahead of the IT 'game' they'd be truly
    >> innovative by dumping the concept of the proprietary CPU architecture to
    >> run their OS on for the generic INTEL model....
    >>

    >[snip]
    >
    >Intel's processor chips are no less proprietary than the PowerPC.
    >Who says that Apple will build their Intel-based models using generic
    >PC architecture? Apple will still be building apples.

    He said CPU architecture not PC.

    Rob J, Aug 4, 2005
  9. Max Burke

    Rob J Guest

    Re: !Amazing Apple inovation again shows the world how it's doneagain!!!

    On 4 Aug 2005 22:07:00 +1200, Alastair McAllister <>
    wrote:

    >In <dcsmiq$uq1$> Neil wrote:
    >
    >> Murray Symon wrote:

    >>> Intel's processor chips are no less proprietary than the PowerPC.
    >>> Who says that Apple will build their Intel-based models using generic
    >>> PC architecture? Apple will still be building apples.

    >> My understanding is the developer box that have been released by apple
    >> are P4 3.6 Ghz on a standard motherboard so the final version will be
    >> something similar

    >Word on the street suggests that the final product will be nothing like
    >the developer boxes, which were produced purely for the purpose of
    >testing code compiled for x86. In fact, all of these developer boxes are
    >required to eventually be returned to Apple.
    >

    >> Although I'm sure Apple will TRY and make sure You
    >> can only load OsX on to there intel Machines so they can charge to
    >> much for them

    >They will charge a premium for their hardware to cover the costs of
    >their software development, and they will not sell OS X for generic x86
    >machines as a shrink-wrapped product, because they would need to include
    >drivers for every conceivable make and model of PC component. This is a
    >path that Apple do not want to go down.

    How does Apple handle PCI slots now?

    Rob J, Aug 4, 2005
  10. Re: !Amazing Apple inovation again shows the world how it's doneagain!!!

    In <> Max Burke wrote:
    > Apple Corp is on an innovation roll this year....
    >
    > First they decided that to keep ahead of the IT 'game' they'd be
    > truly innovative by dumping the concept of the proprietary CPU
    > architecture to run their OS on for the generic INTEL model....
    >
    > Now they've come up with this amazing piece of technology!
    >
    > Another first for Apple: Multi-Button Mouse
    > http://news.techwhack.com/1815/apple-multi-button-mouse/
    >
    > Yes, that's RIGHT! A MULTI-BUTTON mouse for the Mac.....
    >
    > Whatever will they think of next????
    >
    > ;-)

    Finally! Someone does a multi-button mouse right! ;o)

    No, I'm being serious. I still use the Apple-supplied mouse with my Mac.
    Some people don't like them, but I think the shape of the 'Apple Pro
    Mouse' is great and I'm glad Apple kept it. I've used a mouse on my PC
    at work with two buttons and a scroll wheel for years. The scroll wheel:
    "Eh, whatever". The extra button though is handy for contextual menus,
    which is the one thing I'd use it for on my Mac. I've tried three
    different mice on my Mac and abandoned all of them, because when I'm
    sitting in front of a Mac I'm now too used to clicking the mouse with
    three fingers. Now we know why Apple took so long on this mouse: they
    had to design one which can be used as if it only has one main button,
    just to keep me satisfied :eek:)

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Aug 4, 2005
  11. Max Burke

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > Yes, that's RIGHT! A MULTI-BUTTON mouse for the Mac.....
    >
    > Whatever will they think of next????

    Another of my patent ideas goes begging. Way back in the mid-80s when this
    debate was raging for the first time, we came up with the suggestion of
    putting a keyboard on top of a mouse ball, for a true multi-button mouse.

    --
    IT Management. Tel: +64 3 479 5478
    Web and database hosting, Co-location. Web: http://www.wic.co.nz

    Stu Fleming, Aug 4, 2005
  12. Max Burke

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 21:19:27 +1200, Neil wrote:

    > My understanding is the developer box that have been released by apple are
    > P4 3.6 Ghz on a standard motherboard so the final version will be
    > something similar.

    Nope. Apple will be only be publicly releasing Pentium M based systems
    (in laptops and minis first) and requires everyone to give back the leased
    P4 based dev machines so they can shred em a year from now when they
    release actual products.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 4, 2005
  13. Max Burke

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:42:21 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

    > Now they've come up with this amazing piece of technology!
    >
    > Another first for Apple: Multi-Button Mouse
    > http://news.techwhack.com/1815/apple-multi-button-mouse/
    >
    > Yes, that's RIGHT! A MULTI-BUTTON mouse for the Mac.....
    >
    > Whatever will they think of next????

    All joking aside, it is actually a pretty innovative device.

    eg trackball instead of scrollwheel, the two buttons aren't really
    separate buttons - it can tell which side of the mouse you're pressing on
    etc.

    And it still seamlessly works the same way for those users used to a
    single button mouse.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 4, 2005
  14. Max Burke

    PAM. Guest

    PAM., Aug 4, 2005
  15. Max Burke

    Jeremy Guest

    Jeremy, Aug 5, 2005
  16. Re: Amazing Apple innovation again shows the world how it's done!!!

    [title line clarified a little]

    In article <42f1f956$>, Stu Fleming <>
    wrote:

    >Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, that's RIGHT! A MULTI-BUTTON mouse for the Mac.....
    >>
    >> Whatever will they think of next????

    >Another of my patent ideas goes begging. Way back in the mid-80s when this
    >debate was raging for the first time, we came up with the suggestion of
    >putting a keyboard on top of a mouse ball, for a true multi-button mouse.

    Byte magazine did that in a spoof item at the time. It was an answer to
    the eternal question "how many buttons on a mouse?". Their solution was
    "all of them"--put the entire keyboard on the mouse.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2005