Amazed at news penetration of that infinite focus camera the Lytro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Oct 24, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Oct 24, 2011

  2. David J Taylor, Oct 24, 2011

  3. RichA

    Me Guest

    Re: Amazed at news penetration of that infinite focus camera theLytro

    On 25/10/2011 2:39 a.m., RichA wrote:
    > Did they pay journalists to spread this story far and wide? Sure
    > looks like it. It's been everywhere.
    >
    > http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2011/10/lytro-light-field-camera-now-available.html

    Did they pay you to spread it too?
    It is actually pretty interesting (IMO), so reasonably newsworthy.
    Sample pictures here:
    https://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/282
    click on image to set focus point, double click to zoom... slightly.
    So native "still" output resolution is about 0.3 mp, from an 11
    "mega-ray" sensor.
    Me, Oct 24, 2011
  4. RichA

    On 25/10/2011 2:32 p.m., Rich wrote:
    > Me<> wrote in news:j84iip$ssl$:
    >
    >> On 25/10/2011 2:39 a.m., RichA wrote:
    >>> Did they pay journalists to spread this story far and wide? Sure
    >>> looks like it. It's been everywhere.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2011/10/lytro-light-field-camera-now-ava
    >>> ilable.html

    >> Did they pay you to spread it too?
    >> It is actually pretty interesting (IMO), so reasonably newsworthy.
    >> Sample pictures here:
    >> https://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/282
    >> click on image to set focus point, double click to zoom... slightly.
    >> So native "still" output resolution is about 0.3 mp, from an 11
    >> "mega-ray" sensor.
    >>

    > I wondering if you can't get a similar result using a hyper-small 0.3mp
    > sensor?

    No you can't. Despite you posting the link, I don't think you "get it".
    "Infinite Focus" is a poor description.
    This allows relatively shallow DOF, where you can select focus distance
    /after/ the shot has been taken, retaining shallow DOF if desired,
    rather than making everything in focus, as in deep DOF from a small
    sensor and small F-stop. Sure you could use it to output very deep DOF,
    but what's the point when your iPhone does a better job?
    Did you look at the examples in the link I posted?
    If it's possible that this concept can be scaled up so that it gives
    reasonable output resolution, then it would be pretty nifty. Completely
    getting rid of the need to focus HD video (as you can select the focus
    point later), yet retaining shallow DOF (or deep - you could get to
    choose when editing) would be quite a trick. Of course it can also
    output 3d.
    Me, Oct 25, 2011
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 24, 11:48 pm, Me <> wrote:
    > On 25/10/2011 2:32 p.m., Rich wrote:
    >

    > > Me<>  wrote innews:j84iip$ssl$:

    > >> Did they pay you to spread it too?
    > >> It is actually pretty interesting (IMO), so reasonably newsworthy.
    > >> Sample pictures here:
    > >>https://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/282
    > >> click on image to set focus point, double click to zoom... slightly.
    > >> So native "still" output resolution is about 0.3 mp, from an 11
    > >> "mega-ray" sensor.

    > > I wondering if you can't get a similar result using a hyper-small 0.3mp
    > > sensor?

    > No you can't.  Despite you posting the link, I don't think you "get it"..
    > "Infinite Focus" is a poor description.
    > This allows relatively shallow DOF, where you can select focus distance
    > /after/ the shot has been taken, retaining shallow DOF if desired,
    > rather than making everything in focus, as in deep DOF from a small
    > sensor and small F-stop.  Sure you could use it to output very deep DOF,
    > but what's the point when your iPhone does a better job?
    > Did you look at the examples in the link I posted?
    > If it's possible that this concept can be scaled up so that it gives
    > reasonable output resolution, then it would be pretty nifty. Completely
    > getting rid of the need to focus HD video (as you can select the focus
    > point later), yet retaining shallow DOF (or deep - you could get to
    > choose when editing) would be quite a trick.  Of course it can also
    > output 3d.

    The articles so far are woefully lacking in specifics. Like how does
    it work, why does the "sensor" have such a low effective pixel count
    (and near worthless resolution at this point) and how long does it
    take to acquire each shot, what is sensitivity like?
    RichA, Oct 25, 2011
  6. RichA

    On 26/10/2011 2:37 a.m., RichA wrote:
    > On Oct 24, 11:48 pm, Me<> wrote:

    >>> I wondering if you can't get a similar result using a hyper-small 0.3mp
    >>> sensor?

    >> No you can't. Despite you posting the link, I don't think you "get it".
    >> "Infinite Focus" is a poor description.
    >> This allows relatively shallow DOF, where you can select focus distance
    >> /after/ the shot has been taken, retaining shallow DOF if desired,
    >> rather than making everything in focus, as in deep DOF from a small
    >> sensor and small F-stop. Sure you could use it to output very deep DOF,
    >> but what's the point when your iPhone does a better job?
    >> Did you look at the examples in the link I posted?
    >> If it's possible that this concept can be scaled up so that it gives
    >> reasonable output resolution, then it would be pretty nifty. Completely
    >> getting rid of the need to focus HD video (as you can select the focus
    >> point later), yet retaining shallow DOF (or deep - you could get to
    >> choose when editing) would be quite a trick. Of course it can also
    >> output 3d.

    > The articles so far are woefully lacking in specifics. Like how does
    > it work, why does the "sensor" have such a low effective pixel count
    > (and near worthless resolution at this point) and how long does it
    > take to acquire each shot, what is sensitivity like?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-field_photography

    Time to acquire each shot is a claimed advantage - as it doesn't need to
    focus, then there's no focus lag. Sensitivity will depend on the sensor
    sensitivity, but there's also a potential advantage, as deep DOF can be
    achieved (if desired) at large aperture settings.
    The resolution isn't very good. The first digital camera I bought (in
    the '90s) was also a toy, with about the same output resolution as the
    Lytro. Only a few years later, consumers could buy cheap digital
    cameras (at about the same US$200 as I paid for a toy) with plenty of
    resolution.
    I'm not going to rush out and buy a Lytro camera, but the technology is
    very interesting - I'd even say revolutionary - especially if resolution
    can be improved while also keeping size and price under control.
    Me, Oct 25, 2011
  7. Re: Amazed at news penetration of that infinite focus camera theLytro

    On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, RichA wrote:

    > Did they pay journalists to spread this story far and wide? Sure
    > looks like it. It's been everywhere.
    >
    > http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2011/10/lytro-light-field-camera-now-available.html

    It's a camera that seems to do "magic". Mostly because it's utilizing one
    of the largest advances in camera technology since the invention of the
    digital camera. In some sense, it's not even a "camera" any more, as it
    is capturing the image in a way that is fundementally different than all
    cameras before it.

    -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture: http://bigstormpicture.com PGP Key 0x65115E4C
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Images@Getty: http://bit.ly/oDW1pT Images@Alamy:[url]http://bit.ly/aMH6Qd[/url]
    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 27, 2011
  8. Re: Amazed at news penetration of that infinite focus camera theLytro

    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Plenoptic_camera

    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 27, 2011
  9. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Ryan McGinnis <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, RichA wrote:
    >
    >> Did they pay journalists to spread this story far and wide? Sure
    >> looks like it. It's been everywhere.
    >>
    >> http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2011/10/lytro-light-field-camera-now-available.html

    >It's a camera that seems to do "magic". Mostly because it's utilizing one
    >of the largest advances in camera technology since the invention of the
    >digital camera. In some sense, it's not even a "camera" any more, as it
    >is capturing the image in a way that is fundementally different than all
    >cameras before it.

    <Yawn>
    Bruce, Oct 27, 2011
  10. Ryan McGinnis, Oct 27, 2011
  11. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Oct 27, 2011
  12. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 18:08:51 -0500, Ryan McGinnis <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, RichA wrote:
    >
    >> Did they pay journalists to spread this story far and wide? Sure
    >> looks like it. It's been everywhere.
    >>
    >> http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2011/10/lytro-light-field-camera-now-available.html

    >It's a camera that seems to do "magic". Mostly because it's utilizing one
    >of the largest advances in camera technology since the invention of the
    >digital camera. In some sense, it's not even a "camera" any more, as it
    >is capturing the image in a way that is fundementally different than all
    >cameras before it.

    Except maybe holography.
    John A., Oct 27, 2011
  13. Re: Amazed at news penetration of that infinite focus camera theLytro

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Bruce wrote:

    >> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Bruce wrote:
    >>
    >>> <Yawn>

    >> http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/
    >>
    >> -Ryan

    > Ctrl-K

    I must admit, you make me nostaligic for the old days of Usenet when the
    trolls were more talented. You aren't terrible at it, but the artform has
    slipped a great deal. Unless you're a legitamate net.kook, in which case
    you're REALLY making me nostalgic.
    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 27, 2011
  14. Re: Amazed at news penetration of that infinite focus camera theLytro

    On 25.10.11 05:48, Me wrote:

    > No you can't. Despite you posting the link, I don't think you "get it".
    > "Infinite Focus" is a poor description.
    > This allows relatively shallow DOF, where you can select focus distance
    > /after/ the shot has been taken, retaining shallow DOF if desired,
    > rather than making everything in focus, as in deep DOF from a small
    > sensor and small F-stop. Sure you could use it to output very deep DOF,
    > but what's the point when your iPhone does a better job?
    > Did you look at the examples in the link I posted?
    > If it's possible that this concept can be scaled up so that it gives
    > reasonable output resolution, then it would be pretty nifty. Completely
    > getting rid of the need to focus HD video (as you can select the focus
    > point later), yet retaining shallow DOF (or deep - you could get to
    > choose when editing) would be quite a trick. Of course it can also
    > output 3d.

    I wonder if you can't get something equivalent using a (admittedly non
    existing) DSLR with automatic focus bracketing and an adequate
    post-treatment.

    Anyhow the tea sipper example revealed the Lytro limitations.
    No focus happens behind the wire mesh, even worse: a large unsuitable
    beige area was displayed, where you should have got her T-shirt.
    It is also impossible to focus on the sign placed at her T-shirt (her
    left arm).

    Laszlo

    --
    One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round.
    One mobile and two operating systems, not the other way round.
    Laszlo Lebrun, Oct 28, 2011
  15. Re: Amazed at news penetration of that infinite focus camera theLytro

    Me <> wrote:

    > So native "still" output resolution is about 0.3 mp, from an 11
    > "mega-ray" sensor.

    If you looked at Lytro's claims, native resolution is HD, IIRC
    full HD, i.e. 2 MPix.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Nov 1, 2011
  16. RichA

    On 2/11/2011 4:42 a.m., Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > Me<> wrote:
    >
    >> So native "still" output resolution is about 0.3 mp, from an 11
    >> "mega-ray" sensor.

    > If you looked at Lytro's claims, native resolution is HD, IIRC
    > full HD, i.e. 2 MPix.

    I missed that:
    "Produces HD-quality interactive, living pictures".
    I suspect that there's a bit of ambiguity there.
    The samples in their on-line viewer can be "zoomed in" on, but looks
    like it's zoomed beyond native output resolution. If they could output
    1080 x 1920 stills - or close to it, that would be terrific - in fact at
    the price, I'd buy one now - just to see for myself.
    HD res is plenty / useful for snapshots and web use.
    Me, Nov 3, 2011