    for that?

    Now that there are two versions, which one is more popular, and which
    one is official?

    Tim923, Dec 29, 2004

  2. Tim923

    Tim923 Guest

    I have not seen the original. Is it worth seeing?

    Tim923, Dec 29, 2004

  3. >I have not seen the original. Is it worth seeing?

    the original cut is far better in my opinion. It has more ambiguity between
    Costanza and Salieri and it lacks the piontless scene where Mozart teaches an
    aristocrat's daughter.

    plus, the original DVD allows you to watch the film with only the score.

    Vlvetmorning98, Dec 29, 2004
  4. Tim923 wrote:

    > We've had the "Amadeus - Director's Cut" DVD for a few months thinking
    > it was the original movie version, and just yesterday I found out
    > about the 20 minutes for restored scenes. Did a lot of people fall
    > for that?

    Oh, yeah, we knew--
    We just didn't know what the added scenes were, but thought, y'know,
    Extended cuts worked out so well for Peter Jackson, so...

    > Now that there are two versions, which one is more popular, and which
    > one is official?

    I tend to think the original is "official", don't know if it's more
    popular though (on a flippy disk, no doc/extras, and out of print)...

    The added nude scene completely destroys the point of Salieri reading
    Mozart's sheet music for the audition--
    In the original cut, we see Salieri drop the pages in a swoon, Constanze
    asks "Will you not help us?", Salieri walks out without a word, and the
    scene cuts directly to "We are enemies..."--Any questions? 0_0;;

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Dec 30, 2004
  5. Tim923

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Tim923 wrote:
    > We've had the "Amadeus - Director's Cut" DVD for a few months thinking
    > it was the original movie version, and just yesterday I found out
    > about the 20 minutes for restored scenes. Did a lot of people fall
    > for that?

    Dude, it says "Director's Cut" right on the box. Why would you think it was
    the original theatrical cut instead? ;)

    > Now that there are two versions, which one is more popular, and which
    > one is official?

    Well, they're both "official", but only one is the theatrical cut. Not sure
    what you mean by this question.

    Mike Kohary, Dec 30, 2004
  6. Tim923

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Tim923 wrote:
    > I have not seen the original. Is it worth seeing?

    Yes, it's the superior version.

    Mike Kohary, Dec 30, 2004
  7. Tim923

    Tim923 Guest

    >Dude, it says "Director's Cut" right on the box. Why would you think it was
    >the original theatrical cut instead? ;)

    To be fair, some people never saw the Amadeus movie before 2004 (and
    didn't pay attention in 2002). The only new Amadeus DVD one could get
    for awhile was "Amadeus - Director's Cut." And like "Animal House"
    and "National Lampoon's Animal House" it seemed like just an extended
    form of the title (that we didn't pay attention to). I don't think we
    will buy the movie a 2nd time though.

    >Well, they're both "official", but only one is the theatrical cut. Not sure
    >what you mean by this question.

    Which version is more popular and which version do people think of as
    the TRUE version.

    Tim923, Dec 30, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    Tim923 <> wrote:

    > Which version is more popular

    Neither. Some film buffs have a hard-on about the director's cut, some
    have one over the theatrical release version. In this case it's not a
    real big deal because the additions don't do much to change the film in
    a substantial way.

    > and which version do people think of as
    > the TRUE version.

    ??? Dunno. The director thinks his cut is the true version. I've seen
    them both and I'm a big fan of the film and it really makes little
    difference by the end of the film. Watch the one you have and enjoy.

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 30, 2004
  9. Tim923 wrote:

    >>Dude, it says "Director's Cut" right on the box. Why would you think it was
    >>the original theatrical cut instead? ;)

    > To be fair, some people never saw the Amadeus movie before 2004 (and
    > didn't pay attention in 2002). The only new Amadeus DVD one could get
    > for awhile was "Amadeus - Director's Cut." And like "Animal House"
    > and "National Lampoon's Animal House" it seemed like just an extended
    > form of the title (that we didn't pay attention to). I don't think we
    > will buy the movie a 2nd time though.

    Speaking of movies that were ruined in the video DC, did later editions
    ever switch "JFK" back to the original?

    Derek Janssen (there may still be hope, once Warner switches to the
    cheap reissues)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 30, 2004
  10. Tim923

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Tim923 wrote:
    >> Dude, it says "Director's Cut" right on the box. Why would you
    >> think it was the original theatrical cut instead? ;)

    > To be fair, some people never saw the Amadeus movie before 2004 (and
    > didn't pay attention in 2002). The only new Amadeus DVD one could get
    > for awhile was "Amadeus - Director's Cut." And like "Animal House"
    > and "National Lampoon's Animal House" it seemed like just an extended
    > form of the title (that we didn't pay attention to). I don't think we
    > will buy the movie a 2nd time though.

    Sure. I just meant that any time you see "Director's Cut" on a title, you
    can be assured it is altered from the theatrical release.

    >> Well, they're both "official", but only one is the theatrical cut.
    >> Not sure what you mean by this question.

    > Which version is more popular and which version do people think of as
    > the TRUE version.

    It's subjective, so I can only speak for myself. I far prefer the
    theatrical version. The DC adds superfluous and sometimes distracting
    material that was best left on the cutting room floor. The original
    theatrical version is a lean and efficient cut that provides maximum impact.
    (Which is not to say the original was a short movie - it wasn't - but rather
    that every scene meant something in the overall context of the film. The
    same can't be said of the DC.)

    I've bought neither version on DVD, because I don't want a flipper
    (original), and I don't care for the DC. Hopefully they'll revisit this
    title someday and do it right (either the original on one side, or give the
    viewer a choice between the two.)

    Mike Kohary, Dec 31, 2004
  11. Tim923

    Tim923 Guest

    >I've bought neither version on DVD, because I don't want a flipper
    >(original), and I don't care for the DC. Hopefully they'll revisit this
    >title someday and do it right (either the original on one side, or give the
    >viewer a choice between the two.)

    I see. Now I know what "Director's Cut" means. If I press the skip
    button at the right parts, such as the strip and dog scenes, I would
    almost have it.

    Is Amazon.com selling the original Amadeus on a normal dual-layer DVD
    (no flip necessary) now?
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_2/002-8896098-5505657?v=glance&s=dvd

    Tim923, Dec 31, 2004
  12. Tim923

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Tim923 wrote:
    >> I've bought neither version on DVD, because I don't want a flipper
    >> (original), and I don't care for the DC. Hopefully they'll revisit
    >> this title someday and do it right (either the original on one side,
    >> or give the viewer a choice between the two.)

    > I see. Now I know what "Director's Cut" means. If I press the skip
    > button at the right parts, such as the strip and dog scenes, I would
    > almost have it.

    Yeah. If they'd used DVD's seamless branching feature, they could have
    included both cuts, and I'm disappointed that they didn't do this. It would
    have been trivial. (In fact, this has got to be the most sorely underused
    feature in the entire DVD spec. It works wonderfully when it's used (such
    as on The Abyss and Terminator 2), and I can't imagine why it's not used
    more often.)

    > Is Amazon.com selling the original Amadeus on a normal dual-layer DVD
    > (no flip necessary) now?
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_2/002-8896098-5505657?v=glance&s=dvd

    No, the only options are the Director's Cut (non-flipper but not the
    original) and the original cut on a flipper disc. The flipper disc might
    even be discontinued by now (I think it is). :(

    This is one of my favorite movies and remains a DVD "holy grail" for me.
    Incidentally, don't take any of it for historical accuracy - Mozart and
    Salieri in real life were good friends and contemporaries, and Salieri was
    quite a fine composer in his own right (though not up to the level of
    Mozart, but almost no one has ever been up to the level of Mozart, so that's
    no knock against him). Though some of the particulars of Mozart's life are
    accurate (the brief portrayal and details of his extraordinary childhood,
    the depictions of his partying and drinking, the manner in which he wrote
    music straight from his head, and his relationship with his father, for some
    examples), it's mostly just a fun conceptual fiction that was made into a
    great and entertaining film. Your writing about it has made me want a
    non-flipper DVD of the theatrical cut all over again! ;)

    Mike Kohary, Dec 31, 2004
  13. Mike Kohary wrote:

    > I've bought neither version on DVD, because I don't want a flipper
    > (original), and I don't care for the DC. Hopefully they'll revisit this
    > title someday and do it right (either the original on one side, or give the
    > viewer a choice between the two.)

    Now that we're past flippy technology, I'm waiting for a cheap Warner
    1-disk reissue, so I can throw out Disc 1 of the DC, keep the
    documentary Disk 2 (that one's good, at least), and just substitute the
    "right" film.

    Derek Janssen (nothing will ever compensate the loss of the music-only
    track, though) -_-

    Derek Janssen, Dec 31, 2004
  14. Tim923

    Tim923 Guest

    >Your writing about it has made me want a
    >non-flipper DVD of the theatrical cut all over again! ;)

    That could be a DVD editing and burning project. There isn't a list
    somewhere to show the exact times to skip in the 16 chapters with
    extra scenes?

    I was hoping Mozart's Sonata In C, KV545 (1st Movement) was going to
    be in the movie, my favorite.

    Tim923, Dec 31, 2004
  15. Tim923

    Steve K. Guest

    Tim923 wrote:
    > Which version is more popular and which version do people think of as
    > the TRUE version.

    Th original theatrical cut was the one that received the OscarĀ® for Best
    Picture.

    Steve K., Jan 2, 2005
  16. Tim923

    Rich Perna Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Now that we're past flippy technology, I'm waiting for a cheap Warner
    > 1-disk reissue, so I can throw out Disc 1 of the DC, keep the

    I don't mean to single you out, but I can't believe all the whining about
    the original flipper. You'd think none of you guys ever owned a laserdisc
    player (which might be possible, I guess :) ).

    I almost did buy the DC with some holiday Best Buy gift cards, but figured
    the original is still "good enough"; what a great movie.

    Rich Perna, Jan 3, 2005