    AG Guest

    If you can find a copy then SpinWrite will probably fix it. It might take
    two days but it probably will do it. If you have the money to buy it, about
    $90, it can be gotten at www.grc.com

    AG

    break/break, May 9, 2005

  3. On Mon, 9 May 2005 14:01:24 -0700 , break/break <>
    wrote:

    >So I'm using Drive Image in DOS to resize a partition by grabbing some
    >unallocated free space. After applying the changes it starts to resize,
    >and hangs up at about 14% of the process. I decide to leave it be, and
    >two hours later, no changes. Not wanting to jack it up, I leave it
    >overnight. In the morning, no changes. I'm forced to reboot.
    >Now, of course, I can't access the drive as such. Windows reports it as
    >a hidden partition with the same size as before I tried to futz with it.
    > Any suggestions on programs to get that data onto another drive before
    >I reformat it?
    >Thanks for any assistance.

    If I recall correctly, Drive image has an option somwhere for
    hiding/unhiding partittions. Run the program again and look for those
    settings....seee if you can unhide it.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, May 10, 2005
  4. AG

    James C Guest

    First,

    Use PartitionMagic - it's great and I've never seen it fail even on
    really crap hardware

    Ok...on to the problem...did you make a rescue disk for the operation?
    Things can get very tricky from here without it.

    I've seen Linux boxes able to mount bad FAT16/32 drives (if yours was
    one) and rescue the data that way...but that is a bit of an effort if
    you dont have access to one...

    James C, May 10, 2005
  5. AG

    break/break Guest

    mhaase-at-springmind.com wrote:
    > On Mon, 9 May 2005 14:01:24 -0700 , break/break <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>So I'm using Drive Image in DOS to resize a partition by grabbing some
    >>unallocated free space. After applying the changes it starts to resize,
    >>and hangs up at about 14% of the process. I decide to leave it be, and
    >>two hours later, no changes. Not wanting to jack it up, I leave it
    >>overnight. In the morning, no changes. I'm forced to reboot.
    >>Now, of course, I can't access the drive as such. Windows reports it as
    >>a hidden partition with the same size as before I tried to futz with it.
    >> Any suggestions on programs to get that data onto another drive before
    >>I reformat it?
    >>Thanks for any assistance.

    > If I recall correctly, Drive image has an option somwhere for
    > hiding/unhiding partittions. Run the program again and look for those
    > settings....seee if you can unhide it.

    That did it! Thanks.
    And thanks to everyone else for their suggestions.

    b/b

    break/break, May 11, 2005
  6. AG

    break/break Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > Not necessarily. The fact that the partition is hidden is just a bit
    > set in the boot record.
    >
    > But you said: "I'm using Drive Image in DOS to resize a partition ...."
    >
    > Drive Image doesn't DO that!
    >
    > Partition Magic does, but not drive image.

    Not so. Booted up with Drive Image again, after it scanned the drives I
    selected the partition in question, went to Tools, Hide/Unhide, and
    unhid it.

    Thanks,

    b/b

    break/break, May 11, 2005
  7. AG

    Adam Leinss Guest

    James C <.@.com> wrote in news:42813963$:

    > First,
    >
    > Use PartitionMagic - it's great and I've never seen it fail even
    > on really crap hardware

    Oh yeah? It's failed on me many times on many different pieces of
    hardware!

    Adam

    Adam Leinss, May 15, 2005