    sensitve data to my laptop through a private usenet provider. Is this more
    or less safe than using a home connection?

    Thanks

    Default, Mar 3, 2004

    kulm_nd Guest

    It depends. Some schools get viruses/trojans on their systems all the time.
    Some get key loggers installed by other students. Some schools monitor
    downloads for copyrighted material and will know your activity. Personally I
    would say it is less safe unless you are seeking anonymity by going through
    the school. Hiding your IP and speed are the only advantages.

    g-w

    kulm_nd, Mar 4, 2004

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:41:52 GMT, Default wrote:
    > I want to take advantage of my school's high speed network and download
    > sensitve data to my laptop through a private usenet provider. Is this more
    > or less safe than using a home connection?

    Has to be safer from home. Is your id/password passed as clear text to
    log into the private news server. I would bet kids could have packet sniffers
    on the school connection. You do have a better chance of viruses
    being in the higher concentration of pcs at a school.

    Bit Twister, Mar 4, 2004

    Bill Unruh Guest

    Default <> writes:

    ]I want to take advantage of my school's high speed network and download
    ]sensitve data to my laptop through a private usenet provider. Is this more
    ]or less safe than using a home connection?

    Safe from what? What kind of "sensitive data"? If you mean download
    material which might attract a lawsuit from say RIAA, or Microsoft, then
    getting your school as well as your self involved means you will have
    two enemies to fight rather than just one. Without more details noone
    can tell you anything.

    Bill Unruh, Mar 4, 2004

    your name Guest

    > On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:41:52 GMT, Default wrote:
    > > I want to take advantage of my school's high speed network and

    download
    > > sensitve data to my laptop through a private usenet provider. Is this

    more
    > > or less safe than using a home connection?

    > Has to be safer from home. Is your id/password passed as clear text to
    > log into the private news server. I would bet kids could have packet

    sniffers
    > on the school connection. You do have a better chance of viruses
    > being in the higher concentration of pcs at a school.

    I think u are really confused man (both). Do u know how is the school-net
    architecture? do u know if he/she has any anti-virus/firewall at home?
    hmmm
    u could encrypt ur data, then send it by e-mail ,ftp or anything u want -,
    there is a lot of possibilities but i think u dont know what u want or u dont
    know how to write it.

    I donw think that someone could say if ur homw is more or less secure.

    buffff....

    your name, Mar 4, 2004

    kulm_nd Guest

    Physical security is an important aspect of security and it is better at
    home. Unless someone breaks into the house the only way into the sytem is
    e-mail or the Internet and the home user CAN protect himself. At a school
    even outsiders can access the computers and install key loggers or other
    nasty things.

    g-w

    kulm_nd, Mar 4, 2004

    your name Guest

    Re:Re: am I safe reading newsgroups at my university?

    I think it depends on who is the admin of the school network, of course the
    physical security is an important aspect.
    The fact is that if we want to disscuss this we hace to know more about the
    problem, i think. I am still thinking the same that i said last message.
    The question is about the admin of school network, if he is a good admin
    they would have a 'safe' network and will be not so easy to install key
    loggers or gain access.
    i dont think the home user is able to know how to protect, so if i am
    wrong,why is so easy to break into a lot of people's computers? trojans,
    worms...

    =)

    ,

    your name, Mar 5, 2004