Am I rich now?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Laban Mott, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Laban Mott

    Laban Mott Guest

    I just received notification that I have won 1.5 million pounds, am I
    wealthy now, or is this a scam?

    Dear Winner,
    RE: BONUS LOTTERY PROMOTION PRIZE AWARDS WINNING NOTIFICATION
    We are pleased to notify you of the release today as dated of the
    "UK's EnglandPromo Lottery International Promotions programme held on
    Mar. 29th 2005 .
    Participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from
    a pool of over 25,000 names of distinguished professionals drawn from
    Europe, America, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Middle-East, parts of
    Africa, and North & South America as part of our international
    promotions programme conducted annually to encourage prospective
    overseas entries. We hope with part of your prize awards, you will
    take part in our subsequent lottery jackpots.
    The result of our computer draw 844 selected your name and email
    address attached to e-Ticket Number 034-22478556 with serial number
    129, which drew the lucky number 06-09-13-15-40-43-02 and consequently
    won the lottery grand prize award in the 3rd category.
    Therefore, you have won a lottery jackpot prize awards of
    £1,500,000.00 (one million five hundred thousand pounds Sterling Only)
    in cash prize credited to file Ref. No: UKNL/255457004/04. This is
    from the total prize of £18,486,220. 00 (Eighteen Million, Four
    Hundred and Eighty Six Thousand, Two Hundred and Twenty Pounds
    Sterlings) shared among the Thirty Eight overseas lucky winners in
    this category as part of our promotional programme for 2004.
    Your prize award has been insured in your name and is ready for claim.
    To begin your claims therefore, you are advised to expeditiously
    contact our licensed and accredited claim agent for EnglandPromo
    Lottery Winners within a period of 21 days (date of this letter
    inclusive) for the processing of your winning and remittance to your
    designated bank account after all statutory obligations have been
    satisfactorily dispensed with.
    Please be informed that claims not processed within the stipulated
    period may be forfeitted to the pool without further notice.
    You may wish to establish contact via e-mail with the particulars
    presented below citing the batch and reference numbers to this letter.
    Telephone lines are open between the hours of 8.00am - 7.30pm on
    Monday through Friday
    Customer Service Unit,
    Tel/Fax No: +44-870-135-2454
    Email:
    Contact person: MR CHRISTIAN MIKE.
    Our winners are assured of the utmost standards of confidentiality,
    and press anonymity until the end of proceedings, and beyond where
    they so desire. Be further advised to maintain the strictest level of
    confidentiality until the end of proceedings to circumvent problems
    associated with fraudulent cliams.
    CONGRATULATIONS !!!
    At your disposal, we remain.
    Very Truly Yours,
    MARY STEWART (Mrs.),
    Director.
    International Promotions Unit,
    UK EnglandPromo LOTTERY,
    Laban Mott, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Laban Mott

    Steve P Guest

    "Laban Mott" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > satisfactorily dispensed with.
    > Please be informed that claims not processed within the stipulated
    > period may be forfeitted to the pool without further notice.
    > You may wish to establish contact via e-mail with the particulars
    > presented below citing the batch and reference numbers to this letter.
    > Telephone lines are open between the hours of 8.00am - 7.30pm on
    > Monday through Friday
    > Customer Service Unit,
    > Tel/Fax No: +44-870-135-2454
    > Email:
    > Contact person: MR CHRISTIAN MIKE.
    > Our winners are assured of the utmost standards of confidentiality,
    > and press anonymity until the end of proceedings, and beyond where
    > they so desire. Be further advised to maintain the strictest level of
    > confidentiality until the end of proceedings to circumvent problems

    Well I won it the other day as well so we'll have to share!
    Steve P, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Laban Mott wrote:

    > I just received notification that I have won 1.5 million pounds, am I
    > wealthy now, or is this a scam?

    WebTV post. Not surprised. :)

    <snip obvious scam>

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Laban Mott

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Laban Mott composed the following;:
    > I just received notification that I have won 1.5 million pounds, am I
    > wealthy now, or is this a scam?

    I do believe that this is a real question.

    Naivety beyond the call of nature ... ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!
    Paul - xxx, Mar 31, 2005
  5. Laban Mott

    Joel Rubin Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:40:53 -0500, Laban Mott <>
    wrote:

    >I just received notification that I have won 1.5 million pounds, am I
    >wealthy now, or is this a scam?

    Yes, but the money is published by Hasbro. (as in the board game
    "Monopoly")

    On the other hand, if you give them your bank account details, real
    money will flow out of it. Alternatively, you may be asked for a
    series of taxes, fees, et alia.

    In no case will you be able to produce a real thousand pound note that
    you got of this deal unless, possibly, there's a reward for their
    arrest.

    These emails appear to come primarily from the expatriate sons and
    daughters of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

    Back in June or maybe July of last year, I received a standard
    Nigerian 419 from Spain and then, maybe 20 minutes later, I received a
    "winning notification" FROM THE SAME SPANISH IP!

    I Googled and Google-Grouped the winning ticket number and found that,
    via email-to-news, the entire newsgroup rec.music.gdead (Greatful
    Dead) HAD THE SAME WINNING TICKET NUMBER.

    So, apparently, the newsgroup "Deadheads" now have a lifetime's supply
    of pot and dayglow-painted school buses thanks to El Fraudo lottery.
    Joel Rubin, Mar 31, 2005
  6. Laban Mott

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >I just received notification that I have won 1.5 million pounds, am I
    >wealthy now, or is this a scam?

    It's real.
    Evan Platt, Mar 31, 2005
  7. Laban Mott

    Laban Mott Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:42:45 +0100, "Steve P"
    <> wrote:

    >"Laban Mott" <> wrote in message
    >>I just received notification that I have won 1.5 million pounds, am I
    >> wealthy now, or is this a scam?
    >>

    >> Dear Winner,
    >> RE: BONUS LOTTERY PROMOTION PRIZE AWARDS WINNING NOTIFICATION
    >> We are pleased to notify you of the release today as dated of the
    >> "UK's EnglandPromo Lottery International Promotions programme held on
    >> Director.
    >> International Promotions Unit,
    >> UK EnglandPromo LOTTERY,
    >>

    >Well I won it the other day as well so we'll have to share!

    LOL
    Laban Mott, Mar 31, 2005
  8. "Steve P" <> wrote in message

    > "Laban Mott" <> wrote in message
    > >I just received notification that I have won 1.5 million pounds, am I
    > > wealthy now, or is this a scam?

    <SECRET lottery information snipped>

    > Well I won it the other day as well so we'll have to share!

    Well, I am gonna win it tomorrow so I'm in on that sharing too!
    FatBobRoundPants, Mar 31, 2005
  9. Laban Mott

    Jana Guest

    I even got that one, and others in my emails!

    When you try to collect, you will see that they will tell you that you have
    to submit handling fee to collect. Then they will come back, and tell you
    that there is another one for something else. If you go along with this
    crap, you will find yourself giving them money, instead of you collecting!

    There are others that also ask for a lot of personal identification. Then
    they tell you that they must only do a direct deposit to your account. Once
    you give out your account number and some personal information, you will
    find it to be emptied out in very short time!

    Some of these are very sophisticated that come by emails, with familiar
    looking graphics from famous lotteries, and etc. Take care about this type
    of thing. Normally lottery contests have to be directly entered by the
    participant, or on their behalf from someone else. When issuing a check or
    money order to someone, there is no need for more than the very basic
    information about someone.

    Legitimate lotto operations that work by mail, will send you back a
    reference for the winning prize by registered mail, or by a representative
    in person. There will be no cost up front from the lottery operations, and
    they will not ask any personal questions, other than your name, and maybe
    your age. If they sent you a registered letter, then they will not have to
    ask for your address.

    There are many of these scams going around.

    Below are some very good links that you can visit from time to time to learn
    about the latest scams that are going on.

    Be cautious!

    Learn about frauds and scams:
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams/index_e.htm

    http://www.phonebusters.com/english/index.html

    http://www.firstgov.gov/fgsearch/in...domain&dom0=www.fbi.gov&parsed=true&Submit=Go

    --

    JANA
    _____

    Jana, Mar 31, 2005
  10. Laban Mott

    Plato Guest

    Laban Mott wrote:

    > I just received notification that I have won 1.5 million pounds, am I
    > wealthy now, or is this a scam?

    Not a scam at all. Just give them a call and your credit card number
    when they ask for it for verification and you will magically see all the
    money in your bank account.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 31, 2005
  11. Laban Mott

    Plato Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:

    > > I just received notification that I have won 1.5 million pounds, am I
    > > wealthy now, or is this a scam?

    > I do believe that this is a real question.
    >
    > Naivety beyond the call of nature ... ;)

    All the best scams are based on personal greed. My favorite is still the
    one where two gals approach a bloke in a food store parking lot and say
    they have a winning lotto ticket but cant cash it in because they dont
    want their husbands to know they won. So they ask for you to give them a
    grand or so to prove you're in and then they will share the money.
    Sadly, people fall for that all the time, especially in Jersey.
    Plato, Mar 31, 2005
  12. Laban Mott

    doS Guest

    So how much did you lose?

    doS, Apr 1, 2005
  13. Laban Mott

    Plato Guest

    doS wrote:

    > So how much did you lose?

    There's another one here in Jersey that is quite popular. It target
    folks with vans including delivery vans. OK you pull your van into a
    lot, go in the store and come out and start to back up. Lo and behold,
    you here some guy screeming and go out and see this sorry looking bloke
    on the ground next to a wheelchair complete with vietnam hat and armee
    jacket. The guy says he's OK but if you give him forty bucks he wont
    call the cops and you wont get an insurance surcharge and ticket.

    After you pay him he folds up the portable wheelchair and heads for some
    suds :)

    Plato, Apr 1, 2005