    it.

    TIA.

    Jon...
    jonatwork, Jul 27, 2005

  2. jonatwork

    Michael Guest

    I just took the OS test today and passed with a score of 718. I kept hearing
    how it was harder than the Core test, but I didn't think so. They did throw
    a couple of curves at me, where my response was, "Say what?"

    I did the same as you and skipped the middle chapters of the MM book when I
    was studying for the Core test. That is a fine strategy. The only problem I
    have with the MM book is that the chapters are not definitely separated by
    the two tests. Some of the material in some of those chapters that appear to
    be only hardware related have sections that are in the OS exam. So, when you
    study for the OS test, just don't study the middle chapters, but go back and
    check the first page of some of the other chapters and look for objectives
    that relate to the OS test.

    Michael, Jul 28, 2005

  3. jonatwork

    Guest

    I also suggest you to take some practice tests, as they are very useful
    to get familiar with the exam pattern and the questions you will get in
    the real exams. I am presently using practice questions from
    ucertify.com and I found them very useful. They are now offering their
    practice questions coupled with study notes and technical articles etc.
    at a huge discount. In my opinion you should try their free to download
    vesion first.
    , Jul 28, 2005
  4. jonatwork

    JohnO Guest

    >The only problem I have with the MM book is that the chapters are not
    >definitely separated by the two tests. Some of the material in some of
    >those chapters that appear to be only hardware related have sections that
    >are in the OS exam.

    That's not a problem with the book, it's a problem with the way CompTIA
    attempts to separate two inseparable technologies. :) Completely
    separating OS and hardware is extremely difficult to do--*if you want an
    effective training course.* I tried to separate a large course a couple
    years ago, and it was impossible to make the subjects flow from
    topic-to-topic, properly, without leaving out huge chunks in each. For
    instance, how do you explain the installation of a second video card or NIC
    (hardware) without covering OS config, drivers, and t'shooting? Same thing
    with Device Manager. It can be done, but it isn't effective. That is,
    assuming your goal is to become a 'real technician.' If all you want to do
    is pass an exam, then anything works. ;-)

    -John O
    JohnO, Jul 28, 2005
  5. jonatwork

    Michael Guest

    When I said it was a "problem," I meant only in the sense that if you are
    trying to devote your entire energies on one test, you might want to know
    only what's applicable to that one test. The Sybex book does separate the
    material by the 2 exams.

    Michael, Jul 28, 2005
  6. jonatwork

    JohnO Guest

    > When I said it was a "problem," I meant only in the sense that if you are
    > trying to devote your entire energies on one test, you might want to know
    > only what's applicable to that one test.

    That makes good sense.

    >The Sybex book does separate the material by the 2 exams.

    The difference is in the original purpose of the two books. Mike's book was
    originally a "computer hardware bible," if you will, and a direct competitor
    with Minasi well before A+ was a big deal. Mike converted it into an A+ book
    after a few versions. Sybex didn't join the party until A+ was well
    established. IIRC, their first couple editions (Groth's A+ Complete) were
    two separate books in one box. That made it easy to study one or the other,
    but is was an awkward book to use for training courses. (great for boot
    camps tho)

    -John O
    A+ certified since 3/94
    JohnO, Jul 29, 2005