Am I Missing Something... .

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ralph D., Mar 19, 2006.

  1. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    So, I decided to go to digital and decided to go with a Fuji S5200. I do a
    lot of rail photography and was advised that I could get very fast
    continuous shooting with a nice image with it. Reviews seemed good and I
    like the work others in a few rail groups submit with their S5100 and 3100
    units and was excited to get this one.

    I got it Wed. and started baby-stepping through the auto settings and
    noticed I had some odd looking shots that I thought were the result of
    resizing from 5F to 1024x768 (which is what I like to work in for posting
    and manipulation purposes). I never assumed that the 5MP images were bad and
    didn't look at them but set the camera to 3MP and took a few just to see and
    they looked good.

    Thursday I was shooting some stuff that I wanted to try working with in 5MP
    and saw that even at 5MP they looked like they had artifacts and halos
    around edges and small blurry spots, olive green glows to people's jaws and
    such. I still chalked it up to not knowing what I was doing, but started
    doing some tests and sure enough the lower the resolution the better picture
    I am getting! I know this is not a 350D or anything (it is what I could
    afford), but it just doesn't make sense to me and didn't to Fuji support
    either, according to the gentleman who answered.

    They suggested mailing it to them or calling the place I bought it from and
    mailing it back to them, but also agreed that maybe I'm doing something
    wrong. Thing is, I bought this specifically to get learned in it's methods
    in time for an event coming up in 21/2 weeks and for a class starting in 3
    weeks.

    1.) Does this make any sense to others or is the camera defective?

    2.) How tough is Fuji to deal with in these matters ie replacing without
    grief and quick turnaround?

    3.) I see that the outfit I bought it from, EpixPhoto NY, has generally OK
    service reports but sometimes gets bogged down with bad shipping times. Is
    it still better to deal with them as opposed to the manufacturer?

    I've only had it for 5 days so I would think that both should replace it
    easily... but I don't even know if I might be causing it to do this. I know
    that others get nice results from this line.

    Man I hate posting to Usenet from a position of naiveté... but I'm hoping
    for some insight from someone and would be thankful for it.

    --
    I think every songwriter deserves that moment
    when they realize that their piece of work is not

    Ralph D., Mar 19, 2006

  2. Ralph D.

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:43:51 -0500, "Ralph D." <>
    wrote:

    >So, I decided to go to digital and decided to go with a Fuji S5200. I do a
    >lot of rail photography and was advised that I could get very fast
    >continuous shooting with a nice image with it. Reviews seemed good and I
    >like the work others in a few rail groups submit with their S5100 and 3100
    >units and was excited to get this one.

    >3.) I see that the outfit I bought it from, EpixPhoto NY, has generally OK
    >service reports but sometimes gets bogged down with bad shipping times. Is
    >it still better to deal with them as opposed to the manufacturer?

    Resellerratings.com doesn't even have EpixPhoto (or E PixPhoto)
    listed. Where did you see ratings for them?
    I went to EpixPhoto.com...
    Gotta love photo stores that sell electric shavers.

    >I've only had it for 5 days so I would think that both should replace it
    >easily... but I don't even know if I might be causing it to do this. I know
    >that others get nice results from this line.
    >

    >Man I hate posting to Usenet from a position of naiveté... but I'm hoping
    >for some insight from someone and would be thankful for it.

    The description of the photos doesn't sound right. I'd return it ASAP
    and hope to get it back before I *really* needed it.
    Good luck!

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Mar 20, 2006

  3. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:43:51 -0500, "Ralph D." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>So, I decided to go to digital and decided to go with a Fuji S5200. I do a
    >>lot of rail photography and was advised that I could get very fast
    >>continuous shooting with a nice image with it. Reviews seemed good and I
    >>like the work others in a few rail groups submit with their S5100 and 3100
    >>units and was excited to get this one.

    >>3.) I see that the outfit I bought it from, EpixPhoto NY, has generally OK
    >>service reports but sometimes gets bogged down with bad shipping times. Is
    >>it still better to deal with them as opposed to the manufacturer?

    > Resellerratings.com doesn't even have EpixPhoto (or E PixPhoto)
    > listed. Where did you see ratings for them?
    > I went to EpixPhoto.com...
    > Gotta love photo stores that sell electric shavers.
    >>
    >>I've only had it for 5 days so I would think that both should replace it
    >>easily... but I don't even know if I might be causing it to do this. I
    >>know
    >>that others get nice results from this line.
    >>

    >>Man I hate posting to Usenet from a position of naiveté... but I'm hoping
    >>for some insight from someone and would be thankful for it.

    > The description of the photos doesn't sound right. I'd return it ASAP
    > and hope to get it back before I *really* needed it.
    > Good luck!

    Thanks. I meant the store is an E Bay store with rather good ratings over
    many many thousands of transactions that I sat and read one after another.
    My Mrs. sells there and it's been hard for her to keep 100% with there being
    a fair number of nuts in the world, so for a business to stay in the 99%
    range on some 10,000 sales is pretty good.

    I was nervous about it, but I only have so much cash if ya know what I mean.

    I guess I do need to return it, the question is, then: am I better off
    dealing with the store or does Fuji have a reputation one way or the other
    on fast recognition and resolution of problems? Fuji's customer support
    folks were surprisingly down to earth, but that doesn't mean that's how the
    company operates all around.

    Ralph D., Mar 20, 2006
  4. Ralph D.

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:43:51 -0500, Ralph D. wrote:

    > I got it Wed. and started baby-stepping through the auto settings and
    > noticed I had some odd looking shots that I thought were the result of
    > resizing from 5F to 1024x768 (which is what I like to work in for posting
    > and manipulation purposes). I never assumed that the 5MP images were bad
    > and didn't look at them but set the camera to 3MP and took a few just to see
    > and they looked good.
    >
    > Thursday I was shooting some stuff that I wanted to try working with in 5MP
    > and saw that even at 5MP they looked like they had artifacts and halos
    > around edges and small blurry spots, olive green glows to people's jaws and
    > such. I still chalked it up to not knowing what I was doing, but started
    > doing some tests and sure enough the lower the resolution the better picture
    > I am getting! I know this is not a 350D or anything (it is what I could
    > afford), but it just doesn't make sense to me and didn't to Fuji support
    > either, according to the gentleman who answered.

    Something is wrong. The camera should not be doing anything like
    that. I have the older version, the S5100, and pictures taken with
    the highest resolution (4mp) always look best. The S5100 has a
    reset option in the Setup Menu. Try resetting the camera to see if
    some unknown setting or glitch is causing your problem. Also, what
    mode did you use to take the pictures and what WB and ISO was used?
    Do the shutter speeds and apertures seem appropriate? Does the
    histogram indicate that the exposure was good or that it was off?
    You indicated that you might have used continuous shooting. If so,
    did you use long period continuous shooting or one of the other
    continuous shooting modes? With the S5100, exposure is redetermined
    for each shot only in long period continuous shooting mode. Is
    there any chance that while taking a continuous burst of pictures
    the camera was repositioned, allowing the sun to cause some flare?
    Also note that (at least with the S5100), focus doesn't change after
    the first shot, which might have caused some of the "blurry spots"
    if the subject-to-camera distance changed during shooting.

    ASAAR, Mar 20, 2006
  5. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:43:51 -0500, Ralph D. wrote:
    >
    >> I got it Wed. and started baby-stepping through the auto settings and
    >> noticed I had some odd looking shots that I thought were the result of
    >> resizing from 5F to 1024x768 (which is what I like to work in for posting
    >> and manipulation purposes). I never assumed that the 5MP images were bad
    >> and didn't look at them but set the camera to 3MP and took a few just to
    >> see
    >> and they looked good.
    >>
    >> Thursday I was shooting some stuff that I wanted to try working with in
    >> 5MP
    >> and saw that even at 5MP they looked like they had artifacts and halos
    >> around edges and small blurry spots, olive green glows to people's jaws
    >> and
    >> such. I still chalked it up to not knowing what I was doing, but started
    >> doing some tests and sure enough the lower the resolution the better
    >> picture
    >> I am getting! I know this is not a 350D or anything (it is what I could
    >> afford), but it just doesn't make sense to me and didn't to Fuji support
    >> either, according to the gentleman who answered.

    > Something is wrong. The camera should not be doing anything like
    > that. I have the older version, the S5100, and pictures taken with
    > the highest resolution (4mp) always look best. The S5100 has a
    > reset option in the Setup Menu. Try resetting the camera to see if
    > some unknown setting or glitch is causing your problem. Also, what
    > mode did you use to take the pictures and what WB and ISO was used?
    > Do the shutter speeds and apertures seem appropriate? Does the
    > histogram indicate that the exposure was good or that it was off?
    > You indicated that you might have used continuous shooting. If so,
    > did you use long period continuous shooting or one of the other
    > continuous shooting modes? With the S5100, exposure is redetermined
    > for each shot only in long period continuous shooting mode. Is
    > there any chance that while taking a continuous burst of pictures
    > the camera was repositioned, allowing the sun to cause some flare?
    > Also note that (at least with the S5100), focus doesn't change after
    > the first shot, which might have caused some of the "blurry spots"
    > if the subject-to-camera distance changed during shooting.

    Thanks for your reply.

    I looked over your post yesterday morning and thought that the reset idea
    was particularly good. I'm new to this and never considered that. Of
    course... after doing that the issues persisted anyhow which cleared my
    thoughts on whether I had done something in learning settings that caused
    it.

    After that, I called Fuji again and then EPixPhoto as per their suggestion.
    I sent it back to them in the afternoon and will report back as to whether
    his quick turnaround time happens as promised.

    Again... thanks for the suggestions.

    Ralph D., Mar 22, 2006
  6. Ralph D.

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:49:37 -0500, Ralph D. wrote:

    > After that, I called Fuji again and then EPixPhoto as per their suggestion.
    > I sent it back to them in the afternoon and will report back as to whether
    > his quick turnaround time happens as promised.

    That will be nice if it happens. Even better though would be
    getting a camera back that works! :)

    > Again... thanks for the suggestions.

    You're welcome.

    ASAAR, Mar 22, 2006
  7. Ralph D.

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Ralph D. wrote:

    > I guess I do need to return it, the question is, then: am I better off
    > dealing with the store or does Fuji have a reputation one way or the other
    > on fast recognition and resolution of problems?

    If the store has a good return policy (and most reputable stores
    should), then I'd go through the store if at all possible. This way
    you're certain you'll get an exchange in the form of a new replacement
    camera, with no questions asked.

    I'm not saying Fuji's service is bad (I've never dealt with them
    personally), but typically, warranty service from most manufacturers
    means there will be time spent testing and verifying the problem, and
    the possibility exists that you'll get sent back a refurbished or
    "reconditioned" product in excahnge for your new but defective one.
    While you may find this okay, many people make a clear distinction
    between "new" and "like new." :)

    Just curious: is there a chance you could post a link of some of the
    photos you've taken? Perhaps then we'll get a better idea as to the
    quality differences you're seeing.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard, Mar 22, 2006
  8. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    "Isaiah Beard" <> wrote in message
    > Ralph D. wrote:
    >

    >> I guess I do need to return it, the question is, then: am I better off
    >> dealing with the store or does Fuji have a reputation one way or the
    >> other on fast recognition and resolution of problems?

    > If the store has a good return policy (and most reputable stores should),
    > then I'd go through the store if at all possible. This way you're certain
    > you'll get an exchange in the form of a new replacement camera, with no
    > questions asked.
    >
    > I'm not saying Fuji's service is bad (I've never dealt with them
    > personally), but typically, warranty service from most manufacturers means
    > there will be time spent testing and verifying the problem, and the
    > possibility exists that you'll get sent back a refurbished or
    > "reconditioned" product in excahnge for your new but defective one. While
    > you may find this okay, many people make a clear distinction between "new"
    > and "like new." :)
    >
    > Just curious: is there a chance you could post a link of some of the
    > photos you've taken? Perhaps then we'll get a better idea as to the
    > quality differences you're seeing.

    I might have some them left (I deleted most stuff as it was crap) but it's
    really moot at this point as I sent the camera back to the retailer and am
    awaiting a replacement. If it still happens you can bet I'll find somewhere
    to post them!

    Thanks for replying.

    Ralph D., Mar 22, 2006