Am I in the wrong place......??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Brad, Jun 2, 2005.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    I'm not sure how to ask this without getting some hackles up but here
    goes anyway.......I just joined the group yesterday looking for info
    on a camera I want to buy. The camera can be bought on special for
    about $400 .......as I went through the list fo postings I completely
    at random picked out three cameras that people were asking questions
    about just to see what the cost was........the least expensive camera
    was about $1500 and the most expensive was around $4000.

    My question is if this is a forum for high end cameras
    mostly.....??.....although I guess you guys with the high end cameras
    started with a lesser camera at some point so you should be
    knowledgeable about the entire market line. I don't mean to suggest
    that this group would be elitests' I got answers to my posting right
    away but is there a group thats active for us with the sub $1000
    cameras.....??

    Also I just got the HP printer 375B

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/427438.pdf

    I did some research on printers and liked a lot of the features of
    this printer and read some very good reviews. Foolishy I never
    considered that it could print only 4X6 pictures. I am tossing this
    around in my skull how often I would use a different photo size than
    4x6........and also wondering if I even need a printer having a
    Walmart five minutes away and not expecting to do a tremendous amount
    of photography.....Problem is if I want to guy a printer this is the
    time to do it........I can get any HP with a $50 dollar rebate plus a
    10% cash rebate.

    Even with all of the great portablility features of this printer in
    your opinions is it foolish to buy a printer limited to one print
    size.....??

    Brad

    LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
    WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"
    Brad, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Brad

    Frederick Guest

    Brad wrote:
    > I'm not sure how to ask this without getting some hackles up but here
    > goes anyway.......I just joined the group yesterday looking for info
    > on a camera I want to buy. The camera can be bought on special for
    > about $400 .......as I went through the list fo postings I completely
    > at random picked out three cameras that people were asking questions
    > about just to see what the cost was........the least expensive camera
    > was about $1500 and the most expensive was around $4000.
    >
    > My question is if this is a forum for high end cameras
    > mostly.....??.....although I guess you guys with the high end cameras
    > started with a lesser camera at some point so you should be
    > knowledgeable about the entire market line. I don't mean to suggest
    > that this group would be elitests' I got answers to my posting right
    > away but is there a group thats active for us with the sub $1000
    > cameras.....??

    As a generalisation, many people with an interest in Digital photography
    may migrate to higher priced / higher featured cameras, and like talking
    about them. Don't worry about that. My favourite photo that I have
    taken with a digital camera was with a cheap Casio P&S. My favourite
    film camera photo was taken with a box brownie.
    There are other forums, r.p.slr-systems and r.p.zlr-systems where
    discussion (mainly arguments) on more expensive digital cameras is frequent.

    > Also I just got the HP printer 375B
    >

    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/427438.pdf
    >
    > I did some research on printers and liked a lot of the features of
    > this printer and read some very good reviews. Foolishy I never
    > considered that it could print only 4X6 pictures. I am tossing this
    > around in my skull how often I would use a different photo size than
    > 4x6........and also wondering if I even need a printer having a
    > Walmart five minutes away and not expecting to do a tremendous amount
    > of photography.....Problem is if I want to guy a printer this is the
    > time to do it........I can get any HP with a $50 dollar rebate plus a
    > 10% cash rebate.
    >
    > Even with all of the great portablility features of this printer in
    > your opinions is it foolish to buy a printer limited to one print
    > size.....??
    >
    > Brad

    Many will tell you that a printer is a waste of money for 6x4 printing,
    because it is (much) cheaper to get photos done by a lab. However, cost
    alone may not be a factor - as the satisfaction of printing your own at
    home immedately and conveniently is hard to put a price on.
    Remember instant polaroid cameras?. They were expensive to run, and
    produced small and very ordinary results. But they were brilliant in
    their day. You can do much better quality at home now, at a far lower
    cost that polaroids ever cost. If you haven't already bought a printer,
    then look at an A4 inkjet. Canon Pixma printers seem to be well
    regarded. Even if you wouldn't print larger photos than 6x4, the
    printer is useful for document printing etc, unlike a dedicated small
    photo printer.
    Frederick, Jun 2, 2005

  3. Brad

    Kitt Guest

    As other respondents suggest, just ask your camera question in this or
    one of several groups and you'll get plenty of input. In fact, there
    are a lot of great cameras in that price range at this point in time
    and as usual, a lot will depend on your preferences.

    Regarding the printer, Photo Story 3 from MS is free as is Picasa 3 and
    from them you can make picture cd's/dvd's and hand them out more
    cheaply than you can do prints. If you really just have to have
    prints, then a lab may still be the way to go. You can get anything
    from pro quality to Wal Mart for most likely less than the per print
    cost of doing it yourself. In fact, even the immediacy thing is
    somewhat overcome now with the advent of Wal Mart doing one hour prints
    at your local store from uploads. I got an 8"x10" for under three
    dollars in an hour at my local Wal Mart and it was quite acceptable.
    OTOH, by wife has a jumbo printer that does scrapbook pages as well as
    a 4"x6" printer and is pleased with both. She really does use them
    since she's big into "scrapbooking" and can go make a print to fit as
    she needs them. If you do that or something similar, then you might
    want a printer, but for my purposes, I only use one to print schedules
    and rebate forms. Once again, it all depends on what your preferences
    are.
    Kitt, Jun 2, 2005
  4. Brad

    Owamanga Guest

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 19:49:05 GMT, Brad <>
    wrote:

    >As I went through the list fo postings I completely
    >at random picked out three cameras that people were asking questions
    >about just to see what the cost was........the least expensive camera
    >was about $1500 and the most expensive was around $4000.

    That's why doing things at random isn't always a good idea. Anyway,
    tell us about the camera you want to buy.

    >My question is if this is a forum for high end cameras

    Yes, and low end cameras.

    >mostly.....??.....

    mostly both.

    >although I guess you guys with the high end cameras
    >started with a lesser camera at some point so you should be
    >knowledgeable about the entire market line.

    Many people migrated to digital from an SLR, so a lot would be tempted
    to buy a DLSR, which can be expensive ($700 and up), so they can
    continue using their old SLR lenses & accessories. Although cheaper
    camera users outnumber the DLSRs probably 10 to 1, the people who can
    be bothered to discuss this in a newsgroup usually represent those who
    are going to spend $500 or more.

    >I don't mean to suggest
    >that this group would be elitests' I got answers to my posting right
    >away but is there a group thats active for us with the sub $1000
    >cameras.....??

    Yes, this one.

    >Also I just got the HP printer 375B

    That'd generally be a different group, although printing comes up here
    sometimes. I am a proud owner of a wide-carriage Epson 1270 which
    mainly gathers dust, printing only scraps of web pages - the odd bread
    recipe etc.

    All my printing is done by www.mpix.com who do great digital wets from
    29c per 6x4 - Consistent results on high quality paper - I can't beat
    that at home.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
    Owamanga, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Brad

    Paul Furman Guest

    Yep, this is the best cheap camera group <g>. Just be clear you aren't
    willing to spend billions to avoid the fancy tempters. Tell them you
    already have an inhereted $8000 digital and lenses from your uncle but
    want something smaller you can put in your pocket. Frankly if I were in
    your shoes, I might look for the best 3MP camera, you just don't need
    more for small prints. Especially if your computer doesn't have a lot of
    space and you don't want to bother doing backups with DVD burning & all
    that.

    The printer you linked to looks like an inkjet but I believe there are
    dye-sub printers that do small size and I believe those are better like
    real photo prints and not terribly expensive. The wallmart prints are
    supposed to be really very good and much cheaper than your own printer.
    However, you might find that you don't print much with digital and
    mostly view on screen or email to friends.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1
    Paul Furman, Jun 3, 2005
  6. Brad

    Kitt Guest

    Since somebody else made a general recommendation, so I'll make a
    specific one. We've had several P&S digitals and the one we just loved
    and is still used by my wife is a Canon S1-IS. I think you can get it
    for way less than the amount you've quoted at this point and if you
    want more megapixels, it now has a big brother. If you intend to do
    8x10's or less, it's just great. The long zoom with image
    stabilization and the flexibility are what sell it. The downside is,
    it won't fit in a shirt pocket.

    Yes, I have a DSLR now and would rather talk about that, but as you can
    see, most of us are willing to chatter on about anything photographic.
    Check out any Usenet index for a list of photo newsgroups, but this one
    is as good as any for high end, low end and in the middle end.
    Kitt, Jun 3, 2005
  7. Kitt wrote:
    []
    > Yes, I have a DSLR now and would rather talk about that, but as you
    > can see, most of us are willing to chatter on about anything
    > photographic. Check out any Usenet index for a list of photo
    > newsgroups, but this one is as good as any for high end, low end and
    > in the middle end.

    For SLR systems:

    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    For low-end point and shoot:

    rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

    For higher-end SLR-like cameras:

    rec.photo.digital.zlr

    For digital rangefinders:

    rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

    David
    David J Taylor, Jun 4, 2005
  8. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Thanks for the info all........I think I will stay put right
    here.....I am nearing the point where sometimes its a chore to read
    all of my newsgroups and thats a bummer......this one has decent
    volume and certainly a wide range of topics.......

    Brad, Jun 6, 2005