    using my credit card on line to companies I know.
    *But* I never heard of these.
    http://www.onspeed.com/

    Annette Kurten, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Annette Kurten

    GaleS Guest

    "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    news:btnvqo$frc$...
    > I came across this web site, and being unable to afford broardband, it

    looks
    > to good to be true, and that is usually the case. I am not worried about
    > using my credit card on line to companies I know.
    > *But* I never heard of these.
    > http://www.onspeed.com/

    Read further How does ONSPEED work?
    http://www.onspeed.com/speed.php

    GaleS, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Annette Kurten

    Boomer Guest

    "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in

    > I came across this web site, and being unable to afford
    > broardband, it looks to good to be true, and that is usually the
    > case. I am not worried about using my credit card on line to
    > companies I know. *But* I never heard of these.
    > http://www.onspeed.com/

    It's too good to be true. I wouldn't do it!

    Boomer, Jan 10, 2004
  4. "GaleS" <> wrote in message
    > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    > > I came across this web site, and being unable to afford broardband, it

    > looks
    > > to good to be true, and that is usually the case. I am not worried about
    > > using my credit card on line to companies I know.
    > > *But* I never heard of these.
    > > http://www.onspeed.com/

    > Read further How does ONSPEED work?
    > http://www.onspeed.com/speed.php

    That is tech stuff,
    Am I going to get robbed? Does anyone know anyone who has tried it. ? Word
    of mouth and all that.

    Annette Kurten, Jan 10, 2004
  5. Annette Kurten

    Harrison Guest

    They appear legit enough.
    If you can lay your hands on this month's .net magazine, there is
    supposed to be a 28 day free trail voucher in there somewhere.
    I'd try them if I didn't already have broadband.

    Harrison, Jan 10, 2004
  6. Annette Kurten

    Harrison Guest

    Sorry, Princess Boomer.
    I meant that for the OP.
    Don't forget the cold ones :)

    Harrison, Jan 10, 2004
  7. Annette Kurten

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 06:05:56 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bto4o3$olu$>
    Annette Kurten scrawled:

    >"GaleS" <> wrote in message
    >> "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    >> > I came across this web site, and being unable to afford broardband, it

    >> looks
    >> > to good to be true, and that is usually the case. I am not worried about
    >> > using my credit card on line to companies I know.
    >> > *But* I never heard of these.
    >> > http://www.onspeed.com/

    >> Read further How does ONSPEED work?
    >> http://www.onspeed.com/speed.php
    >>

    >That is tech stuff,
    >Am I going to get robbed? Does anyone know anyone who has tried it. ? Word
    >of mouth and all that.

    If you're expecting broadband speeds, then yes, you're going to get robbed.
    All it is, is software compression, and images will lose quality in the compression.
    Binaries (exe, zip etc.) are *not* accelerated -- only web pages, and email.
    And I doubt the extravagant claims of 5x-10x speed increase.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 10, 2004
  8. Annette Kurten

    gangle Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote
    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 06:05:56 +0000 (UTC), in
    > Annette Kurten scrawled:
    >

    > >"GaleS" wrote
    > >> "Annette Kurten" wrote
    > >> looks
    > >>

    > >> Read further How does ONSPEED work?
    > >> http://www.onspeed.com/speed.php
    > >>

    > >That is tech stuff,
    > >Am I going to get robbed? Does anyone know anyone who has tried it. ? Word
    > >of mouth and all that.

    > If you're expecting broadband speeds, then yes, you're going to get robbed.
    > All it is, is software compression, and images will lose quality in the compression.
    > Binaries (exe, zip etc.) are *not* accelerated -- only web pages, and email.
    > And I doubt the extravagant claims of 5x-10x speed increase.

    No matter how hard you push, you can't get 10 lbs. of shit
    into a 5-lb. bag.

    gangle, Jan 10, 2004
  9. Annette Kurten

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 04:43:28 -0800, in
    <>
    gangle scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" wrote
    >> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 06:05:56 +0000 (UTC), in
    >> Annette Kurten scrawled:
    >>

    >> >"GaleS" wrote

    >> >That is tech stuff,
    >> >Am I going to get robbed? Does anyone know anyone who has tried it. ? Word
    >> >of mouth and all that.

    >> If you're expecting broadband speeds, then yes, you're going to get robbed.
    >> All it is, is software compression, and images will lose quality in the compression.
    >> Binaries (exe, zip etc.) are *not* accelerated -- only web pages, and email.
    >> And I doubt the extravagant claims of 5x-10x speed increase.

    >No matter how hard you push, you can't get 10 lbs. of shit
    >into a 5-lb. bag.

    I bet *you* could.

    °Mike°, Jan 10, 2004
  10. <Harrison> wrote in message
    > Sorry, Princess Boomer.
    > I meant that for the OP.
    > Don't forget the cold ones :)
    >
    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:17:17 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >
    > >They appear legit enough.
    > >If you can lay your hands on this month's .net magazine, there is
    > >supposed to be a 28 day free trail voucher in there somewhere.
    > >I'd try them if I didn't already have broadband.
    > >
    > >On 10 Jan 2004 06:03:48 GMT, Boomer <>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>"Annette Kurten" <> wrote in

    > >>It's too good to be true. I wouldn't do it!

    I have had a look on line at this months .net magazine, and it looks like it
    is on ths cd rom freebie with the quote

    "And last but by no means least, make sure you check out OnSpeed, the
    amazing new software that enables you to get broadband connection speeds
    through a dial-up modem - really!"

    So I have nothing to lose. If any one interested (doubt it) I'll let you
    know how I get on.
    A. Kurten

    Annette Kurten, Jan 10, 2004
  11. Annette Kurten

    Harrison Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:01:35 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
    <> wrote:

    ><Harrison> wrote in message
    >> Sorry, Princess Boomer.
    >> I meant that for the OP.
    >> Don't forget the cold ones :)
    >>
    >> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:17:17 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >>
    >> >They appear legit enough.
    >> >If you can lay your hands on this month's .net magazine, there is
    >> >supposed to be a 28 day free trail voucher in there somewhere.
    >> >I'd try them if I didn't already have broadband.

    >I have had a look on line at this months .net magazine, and it looks like it
    >is on ths cd rom freebie with the quote
    >
    >"And last but by no means least, make sure you check out OnSpeed, the
    >amazing new software that enables you to get broadband connection speeds
    >through a dial-up modem - really!"
    >
    >So I have nothing to lose. If any one interested (doubt it) I'll let you
    >know how I get on.
    >A. Kurten

    Yes, please post back a review of their services and let us know if
    they live up to the hype.

    Harrison, Jan 10, 2004
  12. Boomer wrote:

    > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in
    >

    >>I came across this web site, and being unable to afford
    >>broardband, it looks to good to be true, and that is usually the
    >>case. I am not worried about using my credit card on line to
    >>companies I know. *But* I never heard of these.
    >>http://www.onspeed.com/

    > It's too good to be true. I wouldn't do it!

    Correct... as quoted from the website:
    "....ONSPEED will not accelerate certain files such as MP3, Mpeg, EXE
    and streaming video these files will pass through our servers without
    being accelerated."

    Meaning all they do is:
    redirect your web-surfing through their severs
    on-the-fly compress text and GIF files
    send them to your browser
    uncompress on-the-fly at your computer
    display the text and crapped-out images on screen

    Yeah, you can "speed up", but at the sacrafice of quality and overhead
    on your computer.

    For the $$ they're charging, they should be a typical ISP with mail +
    web hosting. Its not worth it.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Jan 10, 2004