    technicalities of IP s so maybe I have missed something.

    --
    Mike W

    Mike the Brewer, Sep 19, 2007

  2. Mike the Brewer

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:10:44 GMT, Mike the Brewer wrote:

    x-post trimmed to 24hshd from
    24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.comp.misc

    >XP pro + SP2 Cable modem into ethernet card.
    >When I booted up this evening I noticed activity on the network connection
    >tray icon. On checking status I found a total of 17.45kbs sent and 12.5kbs
    >received.

    It's a bit basic as it doesn't tell you much.

    >Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows is
    >set to inform me first) My adaware and Avast AV both notify a database

    Your firewall (unnamed) log said what?

    >update. On this occasion I had no means of knowing what the data exchange

    netstat -a

    , at a command prompt.

    >was or what my pc was communicating with.

    On ocassion it's been know for a BY (don't know about exNTL) scanner
    to check.

    You didn't say how long it was for.

    >I ran Adaware and found only the usual tracking cookies, all of which I
    >accounted for.
    >Does anyone know of any software ( preferably freeware or shareware) which
    >will monitor modem activity and tell me the remote IP address from where the
    >data is being sent/received ? I have not gone too deeply into the
    >technicalities of IP s so maybe I have missed something.

    Nothing to do with technicalities of IP.

    netstat , free from a cmd prompt

    www.sysinternals.com
    tcpview
    process explorer
    filemon
    autoruns

    The ng virginmedia.users.self-help.security

    Me

    why?, Sep 19, 2007

  3. Mike the Brewer

    Grooove Guest

    "Mike the Brewer" <> wrote in

    > Does anyone know of any software ( preferably freeware or shareware)
    > which will monitor modem activity and tell me the remote IP address
    > from where the data is being sent/received ? I have not gone too
    > deeply into the technicalities of IP s so maybe I have missed
    > something.

    Have a look here at TCPView. This will show you the process and IP
    details for each connection.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/networkingutilities.mspx

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David ~ Lincoln UK

    Grooove, Sep 19, 2007
  4. yes, run for cover

    Honey Sugarbutt, Sep 20, 2007
  5. Mike the Brewer

    Alasdair Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows is
    >set to inform me first)

    Please, somebody. How can I set Windows to inform me first before
    installing an automatic update?

    --
    Alasdair.

    Alasdair, Sep 20, 2007
  6. "Mike the Brewer" <> wrote in message
    > XP pro + SP2 Cable modem into ethernet card.
    > When I booted up this evening I noticed activity on the network connection
    > tray icon. On checking status I found a total of 17.45kbs sent and 12.5kbs
    > received.
    > Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows is
    > set to inform me first) My adaware and Avast AV both notify a database
    > update. On this occasion I had no means of knowing what the data exchange
    > was or what my pc was communicating with.
    > I ran Adaware and found only the usual tracking cookies, all of which I
    > accounted for.
    > Does anyone know of any software ( preferably freeware or shareware) which
    > will monitor modem activity and tell me the remote IP address from where
    > the data is being sent/received ? I have not gone too deeply into the
    > technicalities of IP s so maybe I have missed something.

    A free firewall programme like Zone Alarm will indicate all outgoing
    traffic. And you'll soon see that the amount of built in programmes (with
    XP) that want to call home for one thing or another is unreal.Stuff like
    Windows media player/MS office etc.. Add to that, Adobe updater/Google
    updater/real networks updater/quicktime updater etc... if you have any of
    them.

    MikE Campbell, Sep 20, 2007
  7. Mike the Brewer

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:32:58 +0100, Alasdair wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:10:44 GMT, "Mike the Brewer"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows is
    >>set to inform me first)

    >Please, somebody. How can I set Windows to inform me first before
    >installing an automatic update?

    Change the update options, or
    www.google.com

    Maybe even, www.google.com for
    change windows update options

    MS product, then MS Support http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525 ,
    How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
    used www.google.com to find that.

    However, this
    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/windows_updates_sneaky_updates.html
    My eWEEK Labs colleague Andrew Garcia has independently confirmed a
    report that will appear in tomorrow's Windows Secrets newsletter:
    Windows Update is fetching and installing some updates without end
    users' consent.

    Me

    why?, Sep 20, 2007
  8. "Mike the Brewer" <> wrote in message
    > XP pro + SP2 Cable modem into ethernet card.
    > When I booted up this evening I noticed activity on the network connection
    > tray icon. On checking status I found a total of 17.45kbs sent and 12.5kbs
    > received.
    > Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows is
    > set to inform me first) My adaware and Avast AV both notify a database
    > update. On this occasion I had no means of knowing what the data exchange
    > was or what my pc was communicating with.
    > I ran Adaware and found only the usual tracking cookies, all of which I
    > accounted for.
    > Does anyone know of any software ( preferably freeware or shareware) which
    > will monitor modem activity and tell me the remote IP address from where

    the
    > data is being sent/received ? I have not gone too deeply into the
    > technicalities of IP s so maybe I have missed something.
    >

    > --
    > Mike W

    you should get activity when you boot up if using a cable modem...

    Honey Sugarbutt, Sep 20, 2007
  9. It was on, or about, Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:32:58 +0100, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Alasdair wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:10:44 GMT, "Mike the Brewer"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows
    >>is set to inform me first)

    > Please, somebody. How can I set Windows to inform me first before
    > installing an automatic update?

    Doubtful. See why below:-

    http://windowssecrets.com/2007/09/13/01-Microsoft-updates-Windows-without-
    users-consent

    http://www.zoliblog.com/2007/09/14/you-think-you-own-your-computer-think-
    twice-microsoft-shows-whos-boss/

    --
    Operating systems:
    FreeBSD 6.2, Debian 4.0

    William Poaster, Sep 21, 2007
  10. Yes......I used Magic Net Trace and checked out all the IPs.
    Found them legit..........so no probs.
    Mike

    Mike the Brewer, Sep 21, 2007
  11. Mike the Brewer

    BluePlanet Guest

    "William Poaster" <> wrote in message

    > Doubtful. See why below:-
    >
    > http://windowssecrets.com/2007/09/13/01-Microsoft-updates-Windows-without-
    > users-consent
    >
    > http://www.zoliblog.com/2007/09/14/you-think-you-own-your-computer-think-
    > twice-microsoft-shows-whos-boss/

    Doubtful? Because it installed a small update that handles the automatic
    update process and nothing else?

    > --
    > Operating systems:
    > FreeBSD 6.2, Debian 4.0