    CD had opened right after the pop-up window opened.
    So what does this mean? I have Windows XP. I have the latest update from
    Norton Antivirus.
    Ronald Smyth, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Ronald Smyth

    Harri Mellin Guest

    In article <ldNyb.443$>,
    "Ronald Smyth" <> wrote:

    > While recently browsing the web I received a pop-up window. The message
    > stated that my computer was not secure and I should get such and such
    > software. I don't know which one because I closed it right away. Anyway as
    > if to prove it's point, the window also wrote did your CD just pop open? My
    > CD had opened right after the pop-up window opened.
    > So what does this mean? I have Windows XP. I have the latest update from
    > Norton Antivirus.

    it's just a pop-up ad with the command for windows to open the cddrive

    Swedish Webcams http://zap.to/webcams
    Harri Mellin, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Ronald Smyth

    Ronald Smyth Guest

    Thank you for your reply. But theoretically if they can access my CD can't
    my hard drive be accessed? I have the Windows XP firewall enabled and Norton
    AV updated all the time. Shouldn't this not be possible to do? I mean if
    they can give a remote command to my PC to pop the CD then they can hard
    drive file access too. Is there something else I can do to block any outside
    command from being carried out, malicious or not (assuming Windows XP
    firewall is not doing the job)?

    Ronald Smyth, Dec 1, 2003
  4. That's what they WANT you to think so you'll but their crap.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Dec 2, 2003
  5. "Ronald Smyth" <> wrote in message
    > While recently browsing the web I received a pop-up window. The message
    > stated that my computer was not secure and I should get such and such
    > software. I don't know which one because I closed it right away. Anyway as
    > if to prove it's point, the window also wrote did your CD just pop open?

    My
    > CD had opened right after the pop-up window opened.
    > So what does this mean? I have Windows XP. I have the latest update from
    > Norton Antivirus.

    JavaScript and VBscript run in your browser, using your settings (so, for
    example, when you see a clock on a web page, that's all actually running on
    your PC)

    If you have Windows Media Player installed, then you can use that to open
    the drive by invoking the ActiveX control.

    Not as "scary" as listing directory contents, IMHO - that was last year's
    trick.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Hairy One Kenobi Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <y_Xyb.64$>:

    > Not as "scary" as listing directory contents, IMHO - that was last
    > year's trick.

    LOL. I remember the helpdesk calls from that one...

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Dec 2, 2003