Always chewing the harddrive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by The Clue Train, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. I've got a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.2GHz laptop w/256MB running XP Home SP1 and when I change newsgroups using OE6 and look at the first message whenever I switch NGs, it sits and chews the harddrive for 60-90 seconds. It also does this whenever switching between OE and Mozilla Firefox. Now I've looked at the task manager, it has no reason to be swapping and I'm getting quite sick of it. Before I start badmouthing Dell to everyone I meet, would loading W2K on this machine correct this annoyance? I've got 3 desktops all running 2000, two of them have only 256MB and they don't chew the harddrive like this, which is the logic behind my wonding if W2K would fix this.

    I've tried is fixing the size of the swap file to 384MB (min/max) where before it was 381-768 variable. No difference in performance has been noted.

    The Clue Train, Aug 26, 2004

  2. The Clue Train

    Phantom Guest

    Defrayment the hard drive.

    Phantom, Aug 26, 2004

  3. The Clue Train

    Phantom Guest

    Defragment hard drive. Damn, I hate spell checkers...

    Phantom, Aug 26, 2004
  4. The Clue Train

    Pennywise Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:21:09 GMT, "The Clue Train" <nul@127.0.0.1>
    wrote:

    |>I've got a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.2GHz laptop w/256MB running XP Home SP1 and when I change newsgroups using OE6 and look at the first message whenever I switch NGs, it sits and chews the harddrive for 60-90 seconds.

    Defrag your drive!

    Pennywise, Aug 26, 2004
  5. "Pennywise" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:21:09 GMT, "The Clue Train" <nul@127.0.0.1>
    > wrote:
    >
    > |>I've got a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.2GHz laptop w/256MB running XP Home SP1 and when I change newsgroups using OE6 and look at the first message whenever I switch NGs, it sits and chews the harddrive for 60-90 seconds.
    >
    > Defrag your drive!

    Tried that too. My PMI schedule is as follows:

    Defrag Pagefile - Every boot
    Defrag drive - weekly
    CHKDSK/R - weekly
    Clean registery - weekly

    I've also tweaked the registry to prevent paging the kernel and boosted the system cache.

    --

    The AFA-B Sovereign Sockpuppet©

    Government/Media Sponsored/Supported Disinformation/Mind Control Agent
    Chief of Weather Control, Super Secret 34°, Order of the Illuminati
    Presidential Puppeteer of the New World Order
    Skepticult® ID: 581-00504-208
    Sockmaster General

    "I can't fight no one" - Joseph "Foameo" Bartlo
    Confession ID: <news:>

    "I was voted 'Kook of the year'" - Raymond "Fathead" Karczewski
    Confession ID: <news:>

    "I goofed..." - Ed "Dumb as Rocks" Conrad
    Confession ID: <news:>

    "Of Course I am a kook!" - Pietro "Pieboi" Sommavilla
    Confession ID: <news:>

    "I have been drinking like this for 40 years" - Stephen "Varnish" Vanier
    Confession ID: <news:7JWKc.99$>

    * Disrupting the flow of information on the Internet since before Y2k0oK. *

    The Clue Train, Aug 26, 2004
  6. The Clue Train

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:21:09 GMT, "The Clue Train" <nul@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >I've got a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.2GHz laptop w/256MB running XP Home SP1 and when I change newsgroups using OE6 and look at the first message whenever I switch NGs, it sits and chews the harddrive for 60-90 seconds. It also does this whenever switching between OE and Mozilla Firefox. Now I've looked at the task manager, it has no reason to be swapping and I'm getting quite sick of it. Before I start badmouthing Dell to everyone I meet, would loading W2K on this machine correct this annoyance? I've got 3 desktops all running 2000, two of them have only 256MB and they don't chew the harddrive like this, which is the logic behind my wonding if W2K would fix this.
    >
    >I've tried is fixing the size of the swap file to 384MB (min/max) where before it was 381-768 variable. No difference in performance has been noted.

    Could you please alter the length of your line wrap for posting to
    newsgroups (72 - 78 is best). Tools, Options, Send, News sending format,
    Plain text settings, "Automatically wrap text at [76] characters".

    As to your problem:
    Right-click "My Computer", "Properties", "Advanced" tab. Under
    Performance section, click the "Settings" button, "Advanced" tab,
    under the Virtual memory section, click the "Change" button, and
    check the option, "System managed size". Click the "Set" button,
    click "OK", "Apply", and "OK" your way out. Reboot

    Unk, Aug 26, 2004
  7. "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:21:09 GMT, "The Clue Train" <nul@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    > >I've got a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.2GHz laptop w/256MB running XP Home SP1

    and when I change newsgroups using OE6 and look at the first message
    whenever I switch NGs, it sits and chews the harddrive for 60-90 seconds.
    It also does this whenever switching between OE and Mozilla Firefox. Now
    I've looked at the task manager, it has no reason to be swapping and I'm
    getting quite sick of it. Before I start badmouthing Dell to everyone I
    meet, would loading W2K on this machine correct this annoyance? I've got 3
    desktops all running 2000, two of them have only 256MB and they don't chew
    the harddrive like this, which is the logic behind my wonding if W2K would
    fix this.

    > >I've tried is fixing the size of the swap file to 384MB (min/max) where

    before it was 381-768 variable. No difference in performance has been
    noted.

    > Could you please alter the length of your line wrap for posting to
    > newsgroups (72 - 78 is best). Tools, Options, Send, News sending format,
    > Plain text settings, "Automatically wrap text at [76] characters".

    Done.

    > As to your problem:
    > Right-click "My Computer", "Properties", "Advanced" tab. Under
    > Performance section, click the "Settings" button, "Advanced" tab,
    > under the Virtual memory section, click the "Change" button, and
    > check the option, "System managed size". Click the "Set" button,
    > click "OK", "Apply", and "OK" your way out. Reboot

    The 381-768 were the values specified by the system when I allowed the
    system to manage the swap file.

    The Clue Train, Aug 26, 2004
  8. The Clue Train

    PC Guest

[...]

    Try:

    Clean up in all your OE folders, then empty the deleted files folder.
    Compact all folders (File, Folder, Compact all Folders)
    Copying your email and news folders to backup delete them, let OE/Mozilla
    recreate them and import from backup.
    OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance, 'Store Folder' button
    will tell you were they are.
    Mozilla, Edit, Preferences, Advanced, Cache will tell you
    where...

    The theory is that the files get corrupted internally which is what causes
    the 'thrashing' The three suggestions above may fix that.

    YMMV

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Aug 26, 2004
  9. The Clue Train wrote:

    > I've got a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.2GHz laptop w/256MB running XP Home SP1
    > and when I change newsgroups using OE6 and look at the first message
    > whenever I switch NGs, it sits and chews the harddrive for 60-90 seconds.
    > It also does this whenever switching between OE and Mozilla Firefox. Now
    > I've looked at the task manager, it has no reason to be swapping and I'm
    > getting quite sick of it. Before I start badmouthing Dell to everyone I
    > meet, would loading W2K on this machine correct this annoyance? I've got
    > 3 desktops all running 2000, two of them have only 256MB and they don't
    > chew the harddrive like this, which is the logic behind my wonding if W2K
    > would fix this.
    >
    > I've tried is fixing the size of the swap file to 384MB (min/max) where
    > before it was 381-768 variable. No difference in performance has been
    > noted.

    Two words: MORE RAM. 256MB is a bare minimum for an XP install. Double the
    amount of RAM in the box and you'll be astounded at the improvement.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 29, 2004