    channels and use the money to buy the movies you want with no logos. Maybe
    it's time to find no cost alternatives because it's no longer worth the
    money to subscribe.

    -Nexus, Apr 2, 2005

  2. -Nexus

    Biz Guest

    There are about 8 minutes of commercials for every 30 minutes of
    programming, hence 30 minute shows are about 22 minutes long, they are not
    17 minutes long. The bugs appeared unfortunately because people were
    recording the material and selling it, the bugs show who the real
    broadcaster was, its an unfortunate sife-effect of bootlegging and piracy.
    Noone is forcing you to watch so go ahead and cancel.

    Biz, Apr 3, 2005

  3. -Nexus

    -Nexus Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in

    > There are about 8 minutes of commercials for every 30 minutes of
    > programming, hence 30 minute shows are about 22 minutes long, they are
    > not 17 minutes long. The bugs appeared unfortunately because people
    > were recording the material and selling it, the bugs show who the real
    > broadcaster was, its an unfortunate sife-effect of bootlegging and
    > piracy. Noone is forcing you to watch so go ahead and cancel.
    >
    > "-Nexus" <wiredmail> wrote in message
    >> For those who are paying for your cable and DSS it's really getting
    >> frustrating. The quality of DSS and cable channels over the past
    >> couple of years has been declining. There is about 13 minutes of
    >> commercials for every 30 minutes of programming. There is also the
    >> logos and animation at the bottom of the screen which is annoying.
    >> You now have some of the premium channels like Starz and Encore
    >> putting logos on the screen. These are channels you pay extra for.
    >> Maybe it's time to cancel those premium channels and use the money to
    >> buy the movies you want with no logos. Maybe it's time to find no
    >> cost alternatives because it's no longer worth the money to
    >> subscribe.

    My stop watch says that it's close to 13. I have had some commercials last
    4 - 5 minutes. When the quality of programming declines (while paying $50 -
    $ 80 month for it) you force people into alternatives. What's the excuse
    for the advertising/animation on the bottom of the screen. This was a way
    to force people to watch things they really don't care about (a way around
    the remote).

    -Nexus, Apr 4, 2005
  4. -Nexus

    Jeff Rife Guest

    ("-Nexus" <wiredmail>) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > "Biz" <> wrote in
    >
    > > There are about 8 minutes of commercials for every 30 minutes of
    > > programming, hence 30 minute shows are about 22 minutes long, they are
    > > not 17 minutes long.

    > My stop watch says that it's close to 13.

    Your stop watch is wrong, at least as far as all major networks are
    concerned. I regularly edit out commercials from my HDTV recordings, and
    42 minutes of program is the smallest I have seen for an hour show. Now,
    a couple of NBC "supersize" episodes were pretty bad...about 27 minutes of
    show in a 40-minute timeslot, but that's rare.

    > I have had some commercials last
    > 4 - 5 minutes.

    Same here. There is *always* a block of commercials that lasts 5 minutes
    in "NUM3ERS", but you still end up with 43 minutes of show.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Apr 4, 2005
  5. -Nexus

    Biz Guest

    All the major networks, 30 minute shows are roughly 22 minutes, 60 minute
    shows are roughly 43 minutes. All you have to do is watch any 30 or 60
    minute network show on a dvd release to verify...

    Biz, Apr 4, 2005
  6. -Nexus

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Biz, says...
    > The bugs appeared unfortunately because people were
    > recording the material and selling it, the bugs show who the real
    > broadcaster was, its an unfortunate sife-effect of bootlegging and piracy.

    Actually, the bugs appeared to identify channels for people who are
    channel surfing. With hundreds of channels on cable or satellite, many
    showing similar programming, it's pretty hard to identify your favorite
    channels without a logo. It's about branding, not fighting piracy.

    Mark Spatny, Apr 4, 2005
  7. -Nexus

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Biz" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >All the major networks, 30 minute shows are roughly 22 minutes, 60 minute
    >shows are roughly 43 minutes. All you have to do is watch any 30 or 60
    >minute network show on a dvd release to verify...

    Or watch a show fter recording it on VHS. I get through an hour
    show in about 40 minutes, since I usually FF through the credits
    and "coming attractions".

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Apr 4, 2005
  8. -Nexus

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Mark Spatny () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Actually, the bugs appeared to identify channels for people who are
    > channel surfing. With hundreds of channels on cable or satellite, many
    > showing similar programming, it's pretty hard to identify your favorite
    > channels without a logo. It's about branding, not fighting piracy.

    So, now that *every* cable and DBS box shows the channel logo and name
    when you surf to it, we should see bugs disappear, right? Didn't think so.

    Although branding is some of it, copyright infringement detection is
    some of it, too, especially for stations like CNN.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Apr 4, 2005
  9. -Nexus

    Justin Guest

    Jeff Rife wrote on [Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:49:39 -0400]:
    > Mark Spatny () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> Actually, the bugs appeared to identify channels for people who are
    >> channel surfing. With hundreds of channels on cable or satellite, many
    >> showing similar programming, it's pretty hard to identify your favorite
    >> channels without a logo. It's about branding, not fighting piracy.

    > So, now that *every* cable and DBS box shows the channel logo and name
    > when you surf to it, we should see bugs disappear, right? Didn't think so.

    Hmmm, not everyone has a cable or DBS box. I sure don't. Yet I have
    cable...

    Justin, Apr 4, 2005
  10. -Nexus

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Jeff Rife, says...
    > So, now that *every* cable and DBS box shows the channel logo and name
    > when you surf to it, we should see bugs disappear, right?

    No. When people push the channel up or down button, they aren't
    neccesarily seeing the DBS box interface.

    Think about it...how does putting a logo have anything to do with
    piracy? If you see a pirate copy of Carnivale, Iron Chef, or Queer Eye
    online, you don't have to be a rocket scientist, or see a logo, to know
    that those shows air on HBO, Food Network, and Bravo. And having the
    logo on your pirate copy doesn't stop you from distributing it.

    If, in mentioning CNN, you are suggesting that the logo is to protect
    video exclusives on news channels, that plays a part, but a small part
    in the reason for having logo bugs. For 90% of the channels on cable or
    DBS, identifying the source is irrelvant.

    Mark Spatny, Apr 5, 2005
  11. -Nexus

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Mark Spatny () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Think about it...how does putting a logo have anything to do with
    > piracy? If you see a pirate copy of Carnivale, Iron Chef, or Queer Eye
    > online, you don't have to be a rocket scientist, or see a logo, to know
    > that those shows air on HBO, Food Network, and Bravo.

    You also don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that channel 501
    is *still* HBO, like it has been for the last 5 years. Most people very
    quickly learn those things.

    > No. When people push the channel up or down button, they aren't
    > neccesarily seeing the DBS box interface.

    Note that for at least one of your examples, this isn't true. Premium
    channels are watching using a 3rd-party box 99.9% of the time. For them,
    branding isn't as big a deal (and the argument that "I'm paying *directly*
    for this channel...get rid of the logo" holds even more water).

    I know that the logos started as both branding *and* some "copy source
    detection", and they are used the same today. My point was that branding
    isn't nearly as important in reality as it was even 5 years ago. As DVRs
    take hold, it becomes even less important. I don't channel-surf, but the
    few times I do use the channel navigation, I either use the guide or
    directly enter the channel number. This really is the way most people
    work nowadays. Even my 75-year-old mom knows *all* the channel numbers on
    her 150-channel cable system.

    > If, in mentioning CNN, you are suggesting that the logo is to protect
    > video exclusives on news channels, that plays a part, but a small part
    > in the reason for having logo bugs. For 90% of the channels on cable or
    > DBS, identifying the source is irrelvant.

    Lately, it's getting more important, as you can get the *same* show from
    different channels. With the ability to "rip" data from digital recorders,
    the MPAA is getting a little more interested in being able to prove
    exactly where things came from.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Apr 5, 2005