Alternatives to PowerPoint for a photo slideshow?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TommyC, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    I've gotten drafted to do PowerPoint slide shows for various kids
    events, like scouts, little league, youth football etc. And I've gotten
    pretty good at it, synching music and photos.

    However, PowerPoint timing is completely inconsistent, and a show that
    looks great on my desktop computer winds up looking not as good on
    whatever laptop I use to show it at banquets. Usually the timing and
    synchronization of the mp3 music files gets goofed up, so that either
    there is a long silence between songs, or two songs overlap too much, or
    pictures that are supposed to appear at certain times don't. And it's
    quite clear that this is a PowerPoint issue, and there's nothing I can
    do about it, short of getting the laptop on which the thing will be
    shown, and develop the show on that laptop.

    So I'm wondering if there is a good (and FREE) alternative.

    I have Nerovision Express and Irfanview, but have never used them for
    slide shows.

    the functionality I want is:

    - Ability to show around 300 slides
    - Most slides are visible for only two seconds
    - Have mp3 music triggered at the appearance of certain slides
    - Music continues as slides advance
    - Maybe a few simple animations, like words appearing on slides

    And I want the output to be a music/slide show, that plays acceptably on
    multiple computers, music/photos synched consistently across all
    platforms.

    I'd prefer to distribute this as a download from a web server, but if I
    could easily make a DVD or video CD from this, I'd consider it.

    Suggestions, please.
    TommyC, Oct 20, 2005

  2. TommyC

    Hal Lowe Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:12:20 GMT, TommyC <> wrote:

    >I've gotten drafted to do PowerPoint slide shows for various kids
    >events, like scouts, little league, youth football etc. And I've gotten
    >pretty good at it, synching music and photos.
    >
    >However, PowerPoint timing is completely inconsistent, and a show that
    >looks great on my desktop computer winds up looking not as good on
    >whatever laptop I use to show it at banquets. Usually the timing and
    >synchronization of the mp3 music files gets goofed up, so that either
    >there is a long silence between songs, or two songs overlap too much, or
    >pictures that are supposed to appear at certain times don't. And it's
    >quite clear that this is a PowerPoint issue, and there's nothing I can
    >do about it, short of getting the laptop on which the thing will be
    >shown, and develop the show on that laptop.
    >
    >So I'm wondering if there is a good (and FREE) alternative.
    >
    >I have Nerovision Express and Irfanview, but have never used them for
    >slide shows.
    >
    >the functionality I want is:
    >
    >- Ability to show around 300 slides
    >- Most slides are visible for only two seconds
    >- Have mp3 music triggered at the appearance of certain slides
    >- Music continues as slides advance
    >- Maybe a few simple animations, like words appearing on slides
    >
    >And I want the output to be a music/slide show, that plays acceptably on
    >multiple computers, music/photos synched consistently across all
    >platforms.
    >
    >I'd prefer to distribute this as a download from a web server, but if I
    >could easily make a DVD or video CD from this, I'd consider it.
    >
    >Suggestions, please.

    PicturesToExecute: Well, this one isn't free ($24USD), but I really
    like it and find it quite useful: http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/

    There are a bunch of free ones listed here:
    http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0...nk=&gfiletype=&os=&li=49&dlsize=&ca=&x=31&y=8

    If this link doesn't work, just go to www.download.com and change the
    setting to "free".

    Good luck!

    Hal Lowe

    http://www.halogos.com (logo t-shirts, mugs, etc.)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto)
    http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (web hosting)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
    Hal Lowe, Oct 20, 2005

  3. On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:12:20 GMT, TommyC <> wrote:
    > I've gotten drafted to do PowerPoint slide shows for various kids
    > events, like scouts, little league, youth football etc. And I've gotten
    > pretty good at it, synching music and photos.
    >
    > However, PowerPoint timing is completely inconsistent, and a show that
    > looks great on my desktop computer winds up looking not as good on
    > whatever laptop I use to show it at banquets. Usually the timing and
    > synchronization of the mp3 music files gets goofed up, so that either
    > there is a long silence between songs, or two songs overlap too much, or
    > pictures that are supposed to appear at certain times don't. And it's
    > quite clear that this is a PowerPoint issue, and there's nothing I can
    > do about it, short of getting the laptop on which the thing will be
    > shown, and develop the show on that laptop.
    >
    > So I'm wondering if there is a good (and FREE) alternative.

    My version of Powerpoint (2004 for Mac) can export slideshows as
    QuickTime movies, which presumably would take care of synching the sound
    and slides.

    You didn't say which version of PP you're using, but you might want to
    check to see if it supports this feature, and if that will cure your
    problem.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 20, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    TommyC <> wrote:

    > I've gotten drafted to do PowerPoint slide shows for various kids
    > events, like scouts, little league, youth football etc. And I've gotten
    > pretty good at it, synching music and photos.
    >
    > However, PowerPoint timing is completely inconsistent, and a show that
    > looks great on my desktop computer winds up looking not as good on
    > whatever laptop I use to show it at banquets. Usually the timing and
    > synchronization of the mp3 music files gets goofed up, so that either
    > there is a long silence between songs, or two songs overlap too much, or
    > pictures that are supposed to appear at certain times don't. And it's
    > quite clear that this is a PowerPoint issue, and there's nothing I can
    > do about it, short of getting the laptop on which the thing will be
    > shown, and develop the show on that laptop.
    >
    > So I'm wondering if there is a good (and FREE) alternative.

    Had the same problme with PPoint.

    iMovie works great and comes free with your computer.
    Steve Cutchen, Oct 20, 2005
  5. TommyC

    Colin D Guest

    TommyC wrote:

    > I've gotten drafted to do PowerPoint slide shows for various kids
    > events, like scouts, little league, youth football etc. And I've gotten
    > pretty good at it, synching music and photos.
    >
    > However, PowerPoint timing is completely inconsistent, and a show that
    > looks great on my desktop computer winds up looking not as good on
    > whatever laptop I use to show it at banquets. Usually the timing and
    > synchronization of the mp3 music files gets goofed up, so that either
    > there is a long silence between songs, or two songs overlap too much, or
    > pictures that are supposed to appear at certain times don't. And it's
    > quite clear that this is a PowerPoint issue, and there's nothing I can
    > do about it, short of getting the laptop on which the thing will be
    > shown, and develop the show on that laptop.
    >
    > So I'm wondering if there is a good (and FREE) alternative.
    >
    > I have Nerovision Express and Irfanview, but have never used them for
    > slide shows.
    >
    > the functionality I want is:
    >
    > - Ability to show around 300 slides
    > - Most slides are visible for only two seconds
    > - Have mp3 music triggered at the appearance of certain slides
    > - Music continues as slides advance
    > - Maybe a few simple animations, like words appearing on slides
    >
    > And I want the output to be a music/slide show, that plays acceptably on
    > multiple computers, music/photos synched consistently across all
    > platforms.
    >
    > I'd prefer to distribute this as a download from a web server, but if I
    > could easily make a DVD or video CD from this, I'd consider it.
    >
    > Suggestions, please.

    'Free' is a bit of a stopper, but I use ProShow Gold, a fantastic slide
    show program that provides a 'light-box' screen to let you sort your
    slides, lets you sync multiple sound tracks, syncs the music to some or
    all of your images, automatically adjusts the timimg *exactly* where you
    want it, allows zooming in or out of any slide to create pseudo movie
    effects, then you can make an .exe program which will run stand-alone on
    a computer, or you can burn CD's or DVD's to play in DVD players
    attached to TV sets. Downside is price, about $US 70, but it's worth
    every penny in ease of use and time saved.

    have a look at http://www.photodex.com/products/proshowgold/

    Colin D.
    Colin D, Oct 20, 2005
  6. TommyC

    Nikon User Guest

    In article <>,
    TommyC <> wrote:

    > So I'm wondering if there is a good (and FREE) alternative.

    A good, but not free, alternative is Keynote. You should be able to get
    Keynote 1 fairly cheaply on eBay, or get iWork (which includes both
    Keynote and Pages) for a bit more there too.
    Nikon User, Oct 20, 2005
  7. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    In article <>,
    TommyC <> wrote:

    > I've gotten drafted to do PowerPoint slide shows for various kids
    > events, like scouts, little league, youth football etc. And I've gotten
    > pretty good at it, synching music and photos.
    >
    > However, PowerPoint timing is completely inconsistent, and a show that
    > looks great on my desktop computer winds up looking not as good on
    > whatever laptop I use to show it at banquets. Usually the timing and
    > synchronization of the mp3 music files gets goofed up, so that either
    > there is a long silence between songs, or two songs overlap too much, or
    > pictures that are supposed to appear at certain times don't. And it's
    > quite clear that this is a PowerPoint issue, and there's nothing I can
    > do about it, short of getting the laptop on which the thing will be
    > shown, and develop the show on that laptop.
    >
    > So I'm wondering if there is a good (and FREE) alternative.
    >
    > I have Nerovision Express and Irfanview, but have never used them for
    > slide shows.
    >
    > the functionality I want is:
    >
    > - Ability to show around 300 slides
    > - Most slides are visible for only two seconds
    > - Have mp3 music triggered at the appearance of certain slides
    > - Music continues as slides advance
    > - Maybe a few simple animations, like words appearing on slides
    >
    > And I want the output to be a music/slide show, that plays acceptably on
    > multiple computers, music/photos synched consistently across all
    > platforms.
    >
    > I'd prefer to distribute this as a download from a web server, but if I
    > could easily make a DVD or video CD from this, I'd consider it.
    >
    > Suggestions, please.

    Thanks for the great ideas provided. Yes, if they were easy to use and
    worked great, I could probably easily live with the $30 or $70
    suggestions.

    Another question I had: PowerPoint can somehow take "small" jpgs (I
    typically use 600x450) and make them look fantastic, full screen, on
    monitors as large as 1152x864 - no blur, no jpg blocks or artifacts.
    Playing around with irfanview and Nero, I found that their full-screen
    shows really made the images look bad. Any comments on the full-screen
    mode (or even if one is available) for the programs suggested?
    TommyC, Oct 20, 2005
  8. TommyC

    Gordo Guest

    Take a look at PhotoStory 3 by Microsoft. It is Free. It has transitions,
    pan and zoom, sound, narration, titling, etc.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...26-a008-49b3-b3f4-6f33852af9c1&DisplayLang=en

    Gordo

    Gordo, Oct 20, 2005
  9. TommyC

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:09:50 GMT, in rec.photo.digital TommyC
    <> wrote:

    >Another question I had: PowerPoint can somehow take "small" jpgs (I
    >typically use 600x450) and make them look fantastic, full screen, on
    >monitors as large as 1152x864 - no blur, no jpg blocks or artifacts.
    >Playing around with irfanview and Nero, I found that their full-screen
    >shows really made the images look bad. Any comments on the full-screen
    >mode (or even if one is available) for the programs suggested?

    In Irfanview go to Options => Properties =>Viewing and make sure the
    top Use "Resample" function Fit-Options and Full-Screen mode option
    is checked.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Oct 20, 2005
  10. TommyC

    Paul J Gans Guest

    TommyC <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > TommyC <> wrote:

    >> I've gotten drafted to do PowerPoint slide shows for various kids
    >> events, like scouts, little league, youth football etc. And I've gotten
    >> pretty good at it, synching music and photos.
    >>
    >> However, PowerPoint timing is completely inconsistent, and a show that
    >> looks great on my desktop computer winds up looking not as good on
    >> whatever laptop I use to show it at banquets. Usually the timing and
    >> synchronization of the mp3 music files gets goofed up, so that either
    >> there is a long silence between songs, or two songs overlap too much, or
    >> pictures that are supposed to appear at certain times don't. And it's
    >> quite clear that this is a PowerPoint issue, and there's nothing I can
    >> do about it, short of getting the laptop on which the thing will be
    >> shown, and develop the show on that laptop.
    >>
    >> So I'm wondering if there is a good (and FREE) alternative.
    >>
    >> I have Nerovision Express and Irfanview, but have never used them for
    >> slide shows.
    >>
    >> the functionality I want is:
    >>
    >> - Ability to show around 300 slides
    >> - Most slides are visible for only two seconds
    >> - Have mp3 music triggered at the appearance of certain slides
    >> - Music continues as slides advance
    >> - Maybe a few simple animations, like words appearing on slides
    >>
    >> And I want the output to be a music/slide show, that plays acceptably on
    >> multiple computers, music/photos synched consistently across all
    >> platforms.
    >>
    >> I'd prefer to distribute this as a download from a web server, but if I
    >> could easily make a DVD or video CD from this, I'd consider it.
    >>
    >> Suggestions, please.

    >Thanks for the great ideas provided. Yes, if they were easy to use and
    >worked great, I could probably easily live with the $30 or $70
    >suggestions.

    >Another question I had: PowerPoint can somehow take "small" jpgs (I
    >typically use 600x450) and make them look fantastic, full screen, on
    >monitors as large as 1152x864 - no blur, no jpg blocks or artifacts.
    >Playing around with irfanview and Nero, I found that their full-screen
    >shows really made the images look bad. Any comments on the full-screen
    >mode (or even if one is available) for the programs suggested?

    That's interesting. I've had exactly the opposite experience.
    Photos that look great in Photoshop or Irfanview often look
    horrible in PowerPoint.

    For straight shows with no music I use Irfanview. Works for
    me. Your milage will vary.

    ----- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Oct 20, 2005
  11. TommyC wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > TommyC <> wrote:

    >>And I want the output to be a music/slide show, that plays acceptably on
    >>multiple computers, music/photos synched consistently across all
    >>platforms.
    >>
    >>I'd prefer to distribute this as a download from a web server, but if I
    >>could easily make a DVD or video CD from this, I'd consider it.
    >>
    >>Suggestions, please.

    > Thanks for the great ideas provided. Yes, if they were easy to use and
    > worked great, I could probably easily live with the $30 or $70
    > suggestions.

    Won't iPhoto do exactly what you want? Or iMovie? This isn't a
    rhetorical question; I have a bunch of photos for friends I'd like to do
    the same with/for, but I am Mac only at this point, and use PS for most
    everything image-wise.

    What have you tried with either of those apps?

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Oct 20, 2005
  12. TommyC

    Colin D Guest

    TommyC wrote:

    <snip>

    > Another question I had: PowerPoint can somehow take "small" jpgs (I
    > typically use 600x450) and make them look fantastic, full screen, on
    > monitors as large as 1152x864 - no blur, no jpg blocks or artifacts.
    > Playing around with irfanview and Nero, I found that their full-screen
    > shows really made the images look bad. Any comments on the full-screen
    > mode (or even if one is available) for the programs suggested?

    ProShow Gold automatically resizes the images to whatever aspect ratio
    you want, 4/3, 16/9, or pixel counts, i.e. for digital projectors with
    800x600 pixel displays - you name it. You can use full-size images for
    assembling the show. It also has reasonable image editing capability
    for adjusting brightness etc. to match adjacent images if needed. It
    will save a .psh file of your show compilation for further work if you
    want to stop before you have entirely finished your editing. With the
    ability to sort images, or change the sequence, or insert or delete an
    image, together with the ability to easily fit the sound to your
    selected slides, ProShow is fast to use. Note that if you want to use
    multiple tracks in your show, import them separately into the show, then
    you can allocate each track to a selected sequence of slides, adjustable
    at any time.

    I forgot to mention that I use another program, GoldWave, for editing
    sound files, music, speech, etc. Magic for shortening longer pieces if
    you only want part of the track, or to adjust the pitch of a track to
    avoid key-change clashes between successive but unrelated tracks. Some
    transitions from one piece of music to the next can sound *awful* if the
    keys are unrelated.

    GoldWave comes with a generous amount of trial time - I put together the
    tracks for three shows, one of which used 160 images and 14 separate
    tracks and another with three or four tracks, most of which were edited
    in some way, and used only about a quarter of the freebie trial. I
    bought the program, not because I ran out of freebie time, but because I
    found it so good, and it's only about $US48.

    On re-reading this post, it sounds like a promotion. It isn't, and I
    have no connection to either company, except they have my money for two
    damn good programs.

    Colin D.
    Colin D, Oct 21, 2005
  13. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    In article <43582819.9145B690@killspam.127.0.0.1>,
    Colin D <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > ProShow Gold automatically resizes the images to whatever aspect ratio
    > you want, 4/3, 16/9, or pixel counts, i.e. for digital projectors with
    > 800x600 pixel displays - you name it. You can use full-size images for
    > assembling the show. It also has reasonable image editing capability
    > for adjusting brightness etc. to match adjacent images if needed. It
    > will save a .psh file of your show compilation for further work if you
    > want to stop before you have entirely finished your editing. With the
    > ability to sort images, or change the sequence, or insert or delete an
    > image, together with the ability to easily fit the sound to your
    > selected slides, ProShow is fast to use. Note that if you want to use
    > multiple tracks in your show, import them separately into the show, then
    > you can allocate each track to a selected sequence of slides, adjustable
    > at any time.

    Nice suggestion. I think I might try that.

    Does anyone here know anything about Swish Presenter (see
    http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area=products&product=presenter for
    more)?

    That looks quite promising for my current situation (I've invested a lot
    of time in a PowerPoint show, and it offers a way to import from
    PowerPoint - plus it offers a fully-functional 15-day trial). Presenter
    would save me from having to recreate what I've done so far from scratch.

    My comments on a couple other helpful opinions offered by others:

    1) I can't use iPhoto or iAnything - I'm posting this on a Mac, but it's
    an anemic 1999 version with OS 9 and too little memory.

    2) The Microsoft Photo Story 3 is a great idea too, except I'm using
    Windows 2000 still, and the software requires XP, not to mention more
    processor speed than I've got (550 MHz).
    TommyC, Oct 21, 2005
  14. TommyC

    Ron Hunter Guest

    TommyC wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > TommyC <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've gotten drafted to do PowerPoint slide shows for various kids
    >> events, like scouts, little league, youth football etc. And I've gotten
    >> pretty good at it, synching music and photos.
    >>
    >> However, PowerPoint timing is completely inconsistent, and a show that
    >> looks great on my desktop computer winds up looking not as good on
    >> whatever laptop I use to show it at banquets. Usually the timing and
    >> synchronization of the mp3 music files gets goofed up, so that either
    >> there is a long silence between songs, or two songs overlap too much, or
    >> pictures that are supposed to appear at certain times don't. And it's
    >> quite clear that this is a PowerPoint issue, and there's nothing I can
    >> do about it, short of getting the laptop on which the thing will be
    >> shown, and develop the show on that laptop.
    >>
    >> So I'm wondering if there is a good (and FREE) alternative.
    >>
    >> I have Nerovision Express and Irfanview, but have never used them for
    >> slide shows.
    >>
    >> the functionality I want is:
    >>
    >> - Ability to show around 300 slides
    >> - Most slides are visible for only two seconds
    >> - Have mp3 music triggered at the appearance of certain slides
    >> - Music continues as slides advance
    >> - Maybe a few simple animations, like words appearing on slides
    >>
    >> And I want the output to be a music/slide show, that plays acceptably on
    >> multiple computers, music/photos synched consistently across all
    >> platforms.
    >>
    >> I'd prefer to distribute this as a download from a web server, but if I
    >> could easily make a DVD or video CD from this, I'd consider it.
    >>
    >> Suggestions, please.

    > Thanks for the great ideas provided. Yes, if they were easy to use and
    > worked great, I could probably easily live with the $30 or $70
    > suggestions.
    >
    > Another question I had: PowerPoint can somehow take "small" jpgs (I
    > typically use 600x450) and make them look fantastic, full screen, on
    > monitors as large as 1152x864 - no blur, no jpg blocks or artifacts.
    > Playing around with irfanview and Nero, I found that their full-screen
    > shows really made the images look bad. Any comments on the full-screen
    > mode (or even if one is available) for the programs suggested?

    I understand the new PhotoShop Elements 4.0 has a good slideshow feature.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Oct 21, 2005
  15. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    In article <>,
    TommyC <> wrote:

    > In article <43582819.9145B690@killspam.127.0.0.1>,
    > Colin D <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    > > ProShow Gold automatically resizes the images to whatever aspect ratio
    > > you want, 4/3, 16/9, or pixel counts, i.e. for digital projectors with
    > > 800x600 pixel displays - you name it. You can use full-size images for
    > > assembling the show. It also has reasonable image editing capability
    > > for adjusting brightness etc. to match adjacent images if needed. It
    > > will save a .psh file of your show compilation for further work if you
    > > want to stop before you have entirely finished your editing. With the
    > > ability to sort images, or change the sequence, or insert or delete an
    > > image, together with the ability to easily fit the sound to your
    > > selected slides, ProShow is fast to use. Note that if you want to use
    > > multiple tracks in your show, import them separately into the show, then
    > > you can allocate each track to a selected sequence of slides, adjustable
    > > at any time.

    > Nice suggestion. I think I might try that.
    >
    > Does anyone here know anything about Swish Presenter (see
    > http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area=products&product=presenter for
    > more)?
    >
    > That looks quite promising for my current situation (I've invested a lot
    > of time in a PowerPoint show, and it offers a way to import from
    > PowerPoint - plus it offers a fully-functional 15-day trial). Presenter
    > would save me from having to recreate what I've done so far from scratch.
    >
    > My comments on a couple other helpful opinions offered by others:
    >
    > 1) I can't use iPhoto or iAnything - I'm posting this on a Mac, but it's
    > an anemic 1999 version with OS 9 and too little memory.
    >
    > 2) The Microsoft Photo Story 3 is a great idea too, except I'm using
    > Windows 2000 still, and the software requires XP, not to mention more
    > processor speed than I've got (550 MHz).

    Okay, I have tried both Swish Presenter and ProShow (not the Gold
    version yet), and am wickedly disappointed with both. Maybe it's me
    who's doing something wrong.

    With Presenter, as it launched after installation, it threw out several
    error messages about dll's not being found (using Windows Search, I
    easily found them, right in the program folder with the software). Went
    to the Swishzone forums, found lots of references to other people having
    this problem earlier this year, followed the recommendations
    (essentially, uninstall the software, then try reinstalling), and it
    still didn't work. I gave up.

    ProShow really concerns me, because Colin D, and a lot of other stuff
    I'd read (admittedly, about ProShow Gold) couldn't say enough good
    things about it.

    My issues really are twofold with it. First, the audio (standard audio
    music mp3s ripped from CDs) played back so horribly that it couldn't be
    called music. Second, the show I made had a yellow band across it,
    saying it was made with an evaluation copy. Now I understand I was
    using unregistered software, but the documentation on the company web
    site says their demo is "fully functional." I don't consider making a
    show with a large mark on the images, and one with audio that's painful
    to listen to, to be "fully functional."

    According to http://www.photodex.com/products/proshow/ (bottom of page),
    my system - Win2k, 550 MHz, 528 meg of memory, 9 free gig on my C
    (programs) drive, 30 free gig on my D (data drive) - far exceeds what
    the software requires.

    Am *I* doing something wrong, or does ProShow deliberately mangle sound
    files in its demo software?
    TommyC, Oct 22, 2005
  16. TommyC

    Mike Fields Guest

    "TommyC" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > TommyC <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <43582819.9145B690@killspam.127.0.0.1>,
    > > Colin D <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > >
    > > > ProShow Gold automatically resizes the images to whatever aspect

    ratio
    > > > you want, 4/3, 16/9, or pixel counts, i.e. for digital projectors

    with
    > > > 800x600 pixel displays - you name it. You can use full-size

    images for
    > > > assembling the show. It also has reasonable image editing

    capability
    > > > for adjusting brightness etc. to match adjacent images if needed.

    It
    > > > will save a .psh file of your show compilation for further work if

    you
    > > > want to stop before you have entirely finished your editing. With

    the
    > > > ability to sort images, or change the sequence, or insert or

    delete an
    > > > image, together with the ability to easily fit the sound to your
    > > > selected slides, ProShow is fast to use. Note that if you want to

    use
    > > > multiple tracks in your show, import them separately into the

    show, then
    > > > you can allocate each track to a selected sequence of slides,

    adjustable
    > > > at any time.

    > > Nice suggestion. I think I might try that.
    > >

    > ProShow really concerns me, because Colin D, and a lot of other stuff
    > I'd read (admittedly, about ProShow Gold) couldn't say enough good
    > things about it.
    >
    > My issues really are twofold with it. First, the audio (standard

    audio
    > music mp3s ripped from CDs) played back so horribly that it couldn't

    be
    > called music. Second, the show I made had a yellow band across it,
    > saying it was made with an evaluation copy. Now I understand I was
    > using unregistered software, but the documentation on the company web
    > site says their demo is "fully functional." I don't consider making a
    > show with a large mark on the images, and one with audio that's

    painful
    > to listen to, to be "fully functional."
    >
    > According to http://www.photodex.com/products/proshow/ (bottom of

    page),
    > my system - Win2k, 550 MHz, 528 meg of memory, 9 free gig on my C
    > (programs) drive, 30 free gig on my D (data drive) - far exceeds what
    > the software requires.
    >
    > Am *I* doing something wrong, or does ProShow deliberately mangle

    sound
    > files in its demo software?

    I have used lots of mp3 files in stuff I have put together using Pro
    Show Gold
    without any problems. I do seem to remember having a problem on a slow
    machine when listening to the "preview" but when it was burned to a DVD
    it
    sounded fine. I use it all the time (well, not all the time, but quite
    a bit).
    Generally been a good program for me - I am using a 3 ghz Pentium,
    1 gig RAM and XP-Pro. You might try burning a DVD with it and see
    how that plays on a DVD player.

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Oct 22, 2005
  17. TommyC

    Colin D Guest

    TommyC wrote:

> [...]

    > My issues really are twofold with it. First, the audio (standard audio
    > music mp3s ripped from CDs) played back so horribly that it couldn't be
    > called music. Second, the show I made had a yellow band across it,
    > saying it was made with an evaluation copy. Now I understand I was
    > using unregistered software, but the documentation on the company web
    > site says their demo is "fully functional." I don't consider making a
    > show with a large mark on the images, and one with audio that's painful
    > to listen to, to be "fully functional."
    >
    > According to http://www.photodex.com/products/proshow/ (bottom of page),
    > my system - Win2k, 550 MHz, 528 meg of memory, 9 free gig on my C
    > (programs) drive, 30 free gig on my D (data drive) - far exceeds what
    > the software requires.
    >
    > Am *I* doing something wrong, or does ProShow deliberately mangle sound

    Well, I can't speak for ProShow (non-gold) as I didn't try that version,
    but the distorted sound is new to me. All the shows I have assembled
    played back ok, whether from within ProShow, or from an .exe file or on
    CD. BTW, you don't need to use DVD's if you don't want to, you can burn
    autorun CD's which play well in DVD players on TV's

    ProShow doesn't mangle sound at all in the demo version. I wonder what
    levels you had set for the sound, perhaps a bit too high? Try reducing
    the sound level. And the yellow band, yes, I forgot about that, sorry.
    It goes away if you buy the program. But unless you can find a freebie
    program with satisfactory performance, which I haven't been able to do,
    then you have to buy something. Nothing I've seen comes close to
    ProShow's versatility, so for me it's the program to use.

    Colin D.
    Colin D, Oct 22, 2005
  18. TommyC

    Lester L. Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 02:10:11 GMT, TommyC <> wrote:

    |> 1) I can't use iPhoto or iAnything - I'm posting this on a Mac, but it's
    |> an anemic 1999 version with OS 9 and too little memory.
    |>
    |> 2) The Microsoft Photo Story 3 is a great idea too, except I'm using
    |> Windows 2000 still, and the software requires XP, not to mention more
    |> processor speed than I've got (550 MHz).
    |
    |Okay, I have tried both Swish Presenter and ProShow (not the Gold
    |version yet), and am wickedly disappointed with both. Maybe it's me
    |who's doing something wrong.

    |My issues really are twofold with it. First, the audio (standard audio
    |music mp3s ripped from CDs) played back so horribly that it couldn't be
    |called music. Second, the show I made had a yellow band across it,
    |saying it was made with an evaluation copy. Now I understand I was
    |using unregistered software, but the documentation on the company web
    |site says their demo is "fully functional." I don't consider making a
    |show with a large mark on the images, and one with audio that's painful
    |to listen to, to be "fully functional."
    |
    |According to http://www.photodex.com/products/proshow/ (bottom of page),
    |my system - Win2k, 550 MHz, 528 meg of memory, 9 free gig on my C
    |(programs) drive, 30 free gig on my D (data drive) - far exceeds what
    |the software requires.

    You could try to find a used copy of Macromedia Flash (5 or MX) or Studio. I
    found it easy to create slideshows with. Sorry, I can't seem to find a sample
    of my fiddlings with that proggie at the moment. Used to run Flash5 on my
    400MHz pII Win98. I also used to use a product called Real Slideshow on the
    same machine. Don't know whatever became of that product, it's still installed
    on that box!

    Here's a lo-fi Real slideshow i did back in the day... (gotta have a realplayer
    to view)

    http://www.dangpow.com/~stumprok/skate/

    I dunno if I'd call your Mac anemic. Gonna guess it's a g3 400 MHz... if you
    sprung for half Gig of ram for it, it should stack up against your PC for
    rendering tasks. I used to run Macromedia Studio MX on a g3 450 with 256M ram.

    Good luck in your endeavors

    --
    LesterOfPuppets
    http://www.dangpow.com/~stumprok/
    Lester L., Oct 25, 2005
  19. TommyC

    Guest

    , Oct 26, 2005
  20. TommyC

    Guest

    Convert PowerPoint to Flash with all PowerPoint multimedia features.
    You can publish the converted Flash file on Web, package for CD or
    emailed to others.

    http://www.sameshow.com

    A strong yet easy-to-use software to convert PowerPoint to Flash
    , Oct 27, 2005