    thingy Guest

    Any recommendations?

    regards
    thingy, Jun 22, 2009

    victor, Jun 22, 2009

    > Logic Pro
    > Samplitude
    > Cakewalk Sonar
    > Ardour
    > Audacity

    Thanks...

    > What OS?
    > What do you want to do ?

    Audacity isnt the same thing as Protools....I use Audacity now for
    recording....Acid and Sound Forge seems alternatives...to Pro-tools...

    I'd like (in fact pretty much insist on) compatibility between Vista
    and MAC OSX....ie an application that can be used on either and is
    largely similar on both platforms....just move the USB/fwire
    hardware....so the hardware (if any) also needs to be both Mac and x86
    compatible.... I have a vista laptop and an iMac....and will get a
    newer iMac at some stage.....

    More along the lines of creating, and editing digital audio files,
    than simply recording...something thats easy to use and has good
    tutorials / manuals...Acid Pro looks a good bet..........if possible/
    practical something I can "drive" with/from the Roland....There is a
    free Acid xpress so I will start there I think...

    Thanks....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 23, 2009
  4. In message
    <>, thingy
    wrote:

    > Any recommendations?

    Ardour was, up until recently, being funded by the Audio Engineering
    Society.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 23, 2009
  5. thingy

    thing Guest

    On Jun 23, 11:22 am, thingy <> wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 9:03 am, victor <> wrote:
    >
    > > thingy wrote:
    > > > Any recommendations?

    > > > regards

    > > Steinberg Nuendo
    > > MOTU Digital Performer
    > > Adobe Audition
    > > Fruityloops
    > > Ableton Live
    > > Logic Pro
    > > Samplitude
    > > Cakewalk Sonar
    > > Ardour
    > > Audacity

    > Thanks...
    >
    > > What OS?
    > > What do you want to do ?

    > Audacity isnt the same thing as Protools....I use Audacity now for
    > recording....Acid and Sound Forge seems alternatives...to Pro-tools...
    >
    > I'd like (in fact pretty much insist on) compatibility between Vista
    > and MAC OSX....ie an application that can be used on either and is
    > largely similar on both platforms....just move the USB/fwire
    > hardware....so the hardware (if any) also needs to be both Mac and x86
    > compatible....  I have a vista laptop and an iMac....and will get a
    > newer iMac at some stage.....
    >
    > More along the lines of creating, and editing digital audio files,
    > than simply recording...something thats easy to use and has good
    > tutorials / manuals...Acid Pro looks a good bet..........if possible/
    > practical something I can "drive" with/from the Roland....There is a
    > free Acid xpress so I will start there I think...
    >
    > Thanks....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Ardour looks neat...
    thing, Jun 23, 2009
  6. thingy

    thing Guest

    On Jun 23, 3:17 pm, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > In message
    > > <>,
    > > thingy wrote:

    > >> Any recommendations?

    > > Ardour was, up until recently, being funded by the Audio Engineering
    > > Society.

    > Ardour is a lame toy.
    >
    > What platform do you (OT) want to run an 'alternive to Profools' on ? And
    > for what purpose - audio, video, midi, all ?
    >
    > geoff

    audio, midi, no video....

    Acid xpress/pro looks neat...Ive downloaded both to have a
    look....xpress might be good enough to start with.

    Ideally Vista on a laptop and OSX 10.4+ on an iMac...I have Pro-tools
    5.2LE for OS9 and it is a nightmare to use and my partner has lost the
    key anyway....so Im stuffed that was a wasted $1500...I am also
    reluctant to be locked to specific hardware....unless the hardware is
    cheap eg berhinger's USB powered uac2xx module...

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jun 23, 2009
  7. thingy

    victor Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 9:03 am, victor <> wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>> Any recommendations?
    >>> regards

    >> Steinberg Nuendo
    >> MOTU Digital Performer
    >> Adobe Audition
    >> Fruityloops
    >> Ableton Live
    >> Logic Pro
    >> Samplitude
    >> Cakewalk Sonar
    >> Ardour
    >> Audacity

    > Thanks...
    >
    >> What OS?
    >> What do you want to do ?

    > Audacity isnt the same thing as Protools....I use Audacity now for
    > recording....Acid and Sound Forge seems alternatives...to Pro-tools...
    >
    > I'd like (in fact pretty much insist on) compatibility between Vista
    > and MAC OSX....ie an application that can be used on either and is
    > largely similar on both platforms....just move the USB/fwire
    > hardware....so the hardware (if any) also needs to be both Mac and x86
    > compatible.... I have a vista laptop and an iMac....and will get a
    > newer iMac at some stage.....
    >
    > More along the lines of creating, and editing digital audio files,
    > than simply recording...something thats easy to use and has good
    > tutorials / manuals...Acid Pro looks a good bet..........if possible/
    > practical something I can "drive" with/from the Roland....There is a
    > free Acid xpress so I will start there I think...
    >
    > Thanks....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Good choice.
    Ableton Live is available for both platforms and is definitely the most
    fun if you tend towards composing remixing and djing, using midi
    keyboards and pad controls etc
    victor, Jun 23, 2009
  8. In message <>, geoff wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message
    >> <>,
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any recommendations?

    >> Ardour was, up until recently, being funded by the Audio Engineering
    >> Society.

    > Ardour is a lame toy.

    Not according to the AES, who ought to know. And it works with JACK, which
    has no equivalent in Windows.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 23, 2009
  9. thingy

    dawhead Guest

    On Jun 23, 5:49 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, geoff wrote:
    >
    > > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > >> In message
    > >> <>,

    > >> Ardour was, up until recently, being funded by the Audio Engineering
    > >> Society.

    > > Ardour is a lame toy.

    > Not according to the AES, who ought to know. And it works with JACK, which
    > has no equivalent in Windows.

    Not entirely correct.

    1) Ardour has been funded at various times by:

    Solid State Logic
    SAE (not the same as AES)
    <another anonymous but very well known audio tech company>

    2) We/I have also collaborated with Harrison Consoles in their XDubber
    product (which essentially *is* Ardour) and a future release that will
    be appearing soon.

    3) JACK itself is available for Windows, OS X, Linux, and the BSD
    family of operating systems. On Windows, any application that can use
    ASIO can interact with JACK to share audio data with other JACK
    clients and/or the audio interface hardware. The same is true on OS X,
    substituting CoreAudio for ASIO (and adding the capability to exchange
    MIDI).

    4) Ardour is not a lame toy. Like all DAWs, it has its own strengths
    and its own weaknesses. For contemporary pop production, with an
    emphasis on looping, time/pitch FX, and so forth, its almost certainly
    not the tool of choice at this point in time. Similarly, if MIDI plays
    a role in your workflow beyond control and timecode, Ardour is not
    useful to you. On the other hand, if you are involved in more
    traditional engineering workflows such as jazz/classical/folk
    recording, where the "fix it in the mix" approach is less rampant, or
    alternatively are involved in contemporary experimental music with a
    focus on multichannel that isn't constrained by commercial technology
    like 5.1, then Ardour could be an extremely useful and valuable tool
    for you.

    Paul Davis
    Ardour/JACK
    dawhead, Jun 23, 2009
  10. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Jun 23, 9:49 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, geoff wrote:
    >
    > > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > >> In message
    > >> <>,

    > >> Ardour was, up until recently, being funded by the Audio Engineering
    > >> Society.

    > > Ardour is a lame toy.

    > Not according to the AES, who ought to know. And it works with JACK, which
    > has no equivalent in Windows.

    In which case its no good for my use...Windows is essential......

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 24, 2009
  11. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Jun 24, 10:57 am, dawhead <> wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 5:49 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >

    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > > > Ardour is a lame toy.

    > > Not according to the AES, who ought to know. And it works with JACK, which
    > > has no equivalent in Windows.

    > Not entirely correct.
    >
    > 1) Ardour has been funded at various times by:
    >
    >            Solid State Logic
    >            SAE (not the same as AES)
    >            <another anonymous but very well known audio tech company>
    >
    > 2) We/I have also collaborated with Harrison Consoles in their XDubber
    > product (which essentially *is* Ardour) and a future release that will
    > be appearing soon.
    >
    > 3) JACK itself is available for Windows, OS X, Linux, and the BSD
    > family of operating systems. On Windows, any application that can use
    > ASIO can interact with JACK to share audio data with other JACK
    > clients and/or the audio interface hardware. The same is true on OS X,
    > substituting CoreAudio for ASIO (and adding the capability to exchange
    > MIDI).
    >
    > 4) Ardour is not a lame toy. Like all DAWs, it has its own strengths
    > and its own weaknesses. For contemporary pop production, with an
    > emphasis on looping, time/pitch FX, and so forth, its almost certainly
    > not the tool of choice at this point in time. Similarly, if MIDI plays
    > a role in your workflow beyond control and timecode, Ardour is not
    > useful to you. On the other hand, if you are involved in more
    > traditional engineering workflows such as jazz/classical/folk
    > recording, where the "fix it in the mix" approach is less rampant, or
    > alternatively are involved in contemporary experimental music with a
    > focus on multichannel that isn't constrained by commercial technology
    > like 5.1, then Ardour could be an extremely useful and valuable tool
    > for you.
    >
    > Paul Davis
    > Ardour/JACK

    Thanks...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 24, 2009
  12. thingy

    dawhead Guest

    On Jun 23, 8:21 pm, "geoff" <> wrote:

    > >> Ardour is a lame toy.

    > > Not according to the AES, who ought to know. And it works with JACK,
    > > which has no equivalent in Windows.

    > Oh.  It's only my profession - what would I know.

    apparently just enough to be insulting and wrong when spreading silly
    characterizations of other people's work.
    dawhead, Jun 24, 2009
  13. In message <863a718e-157c-4240-9a07-
    >, dawhead wrote:

    > 4) Ardour is not a lame toy. [reasons omitted]

    Thank you for that. And excuse the ignorant, uninformed NBM trolls.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 24, 2009
  14. In message <>, geoff wrote:

    > OK then, I'll qualify that by saying the last version of Ardour I saw was
    > lame in comparison to contemporary DAWs at the time. To the point I
    > haven't been inspired to look again .

    Was that before or after Agincourt?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 24, 2009
  15. In message <863a718e-157c-4240-9a07-
    >, dawhead wrote:

    > 3) JACK itself is available for Windows ...

    The problem is, though, that very little software is available under Windows
    to take advantage of it. Yes, there is Free software, but Free software is
    hard to use under Dimdows. Free software developers tend to make heavy use
    of each other's code. Such interdependencies can easily be managed on
    systems with properly integrated package management (i.e. Linux). But on
    Dimdows they either become a nightmare of build dependencies if you're
    trying to compile the software yourself from source, or they lead to bloated
    installers if you try to download prebuilt binaries.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 25, 2009
  16. In message <863a718e-157c-4240-9a07-
    >, dawhead wrote:

    > 1) Ardour has been funded at various times by:
    >
    > SAE (not the same as AES)

    Society of Automotive Engineers??
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 27, 2009
  17. thingy

    dawhead Guest

    On Jun 27, 6:22 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <863a718e-157c-4240-9a07-
    >
    > >, dawhead wrote:
    > > 1) Ardour has been funded at various times by:

    > >            SAE (not the same as AES)

    > Society of Automotive Engineers??

    Originally "School of Audio Engineering", but for several years the
    acronym has become the name itself. 38,000 students worldwide.
    dawhead, Jun 27, 2009