Alternatives to Cable

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    While getting an ear full of Clear on why I had to change my com21
    modem.....(for the third time).....

    Oh this is a cheaper service, we will throw in the modem for free saving
    you $13 a month....

    really? so I get my dial up account for free?.....uh no.....

    so how am I saving?

    uh.....well anyway you need to change its cheaper.....

    So the new plan is $81 and the old plan is $81.....

    Yes well we can do you a 1 gig plan that is $60 a month, so that is
    cheaper is it not?

    I use on average 2~5 gig a month, so I am into additional charges on
    that plan.....

    Ok so you want the same plan you are on now at 10 gig....it is $81 a
    month....

    uh...uh the same amount I am paying now.....but I loose my National
    traffic split....

    Anyway this goes on for a while with Clear's rep finally telling me I
    have to move at some stage.....

    Talking to a fellow employee, he was "tricked" into moving only to find
    he had lost his national split, since he uses VPN to work, that was a
    noticable loss (I do too).....

    Clear refused to put him back denying they were not truthful....so he
    swapped to adsl......

    So clear lost a high income client, who uses broadband heavily and rings
    his home country frequently.....so bang goes International toll calls too...

    My conclusion is the old cable accounts wont go anytime soon.....Clear
    has too much to loose in forcing people to swap out for a worse
    service....they get pissed and just leave......

    Her's waitng for my com21 to die of old age.....

    :?

    Any body else done similar ie dumped cable to adsl after Clear annoyed you?

    I know if I was forced I would consider ADSL as an alternative......

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 11, 2006

  2. thingy

    Daniel Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > uh...uh the same amount I am paying now.....but I loose my National
    > traffic split....

    > Talking to a fellow employee, he was "tricked" into moving only to find
    > he had lost his national split, since he uses VPN to work, that was a
    > noticable loss (I do too).....

    Yeah, with the new plans you get charged at full rate for *everything*
    AFAICT.

    National traffic aside I'm not entirely sure, but, I think cached
    traffic from the transparent proxy was free on the old plans. I know
    traffic between nodes on the old plan subnet was definitely free - no
    longer the case with the new plan subnet.
    This seems to imply that _any_ traffic is charged for. Which makes the
    1G plan seem fairly pointless, considering that for $10 more you get 5G.

    I'm still on the old 1G plan with the national split, but, I'm
    considering changing to 5G even though I do a fair bit of national -
    it'd save me $10 per month. Worst case is that I end up going to 10G,
    and pay the same amount I do now.

    I haven't considered ADSL simpy because I know with cable I don't get
    any of the various "latency" issues that others have experienced, and a
    genuine 2Mbps upstream speed is quite attractive.

    Daniel, Apr 11, 2006

  3. thingy

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message

    > I haven't considered ADSL simpy because I know with cable I don't get any
    > of the various "latency" issues that others have experienced, and a
    > genuine 2Mbps upstream speed is quite attractive.

    Ah yes, you might actually be able to use Skype (if you can find someone who
    doesn't have Telecom DSL to call) :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Apr 12, 2006
  4. thingy

    Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:53:25 +1200, thingy <> wrote:

    >While getting an ear full of Clear on why I had to change my com21
    >modem.....(for the third time).....
    >
    >Oh this is a cheaper service, we will throw in the modem for free saving
    >you $13 a month....

    The Modem is not FREE, I got charged for the last 3 months that they did not
    bill me.

    >really? so I get my dial up account for free?.....uh no.....
    >
    >so how am I saving?
    >
    >uh.....well anyway you need to change its cheaper.....
    >
    >So the new plan is $81 and the old plan is $81.....
    >
    >Yes well we can do you a 1 gig plan that is $60 a month, so that is
    >cheaper is it not?
    >
    >I use on average 2~5 gig a month, so I am into additional charges on
    >that plan.....
    >
    >Ok so you want the same plan you are on now at 10 gig....it is $81 a
    >month....
    >
    >uh...uh the same amount I am paying now.....but I loose my National
    >traffic split....
    >
    >Anyway this goes on for a while with Clear's rep finally telling me I
    >have to move at some stage.....
    >
    >Talking to a fellow employee, he was "tricked" into moving only to find
    >he had lost his national split, since he uses VPN to work, that was a
    >noticable loss (I do too).....
    >
    >Clear refused to put him back denying they were not truthful....so he
    >swapped to adsl......
    >
    >So clear lost a high income client, who uses broadband heavily and rings
    >his home country frequently.....so bang goes International toll calls too...
    >
    >My conclusion is the old cable accounts wont go anytime soon.....Clear
    >has too much to loose in forcing people to swap out for a worse
    >service....they get pissed and just leave......
    >
    >Her's waitng for my com21 to die of old age.....
    >
    >:?
    >
    >Any body else done similar ie dumped cable to adsl after Clear annoyed you?
    >
    >I know if I was forced I would consider ADSL as an alternative......
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    ADSL is Crap when compared to Cable and yes I am pissed of as I had to close
    my 256k/10gig one, because I needed a cheaper service but that ( 256k/10gig )
    is now no longer available, the Comlink 21 Modems are utter crap, the Motorola
    ones are Great..

    , Apr 12, 2006
  5. thingy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    thingy <> wrote in

    > Any body else done similar ie dumped cable to adsl after Clear annoyed
    > you?
    >
    > I know if I was forced I would consider ADSL as an alternative......
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I looked into Actrix after misfit posted here, but I have the TV, decoder,
    phone and cable internet. I went from 5 gigs to 10 and since I did not
    care about my national / international split I am kinda happy.

    Moving off to ADSL, means two things for a cable full package customer.
    1. Getting Telecom Land Line so you can even get ADSL with Actrix.
    2. Getting a modem of some sort so you don't rent it.

    One of the reasons I have cable is because I could keep telecom out of my
    house.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 12, 2006
  6. thingy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Kent Smith" <> wrote in

    > Ah yes, you might actually be able to use Skype (if you can find
    > someone who doesn't have Telecom DSL to call) :)

    SkypeOut or MSN Messenger works great with TC cable.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 12, 2006
  7. thingy

    David Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "Kent Smith" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Ah yes, you might actually be able to use Skype (if you can find
    >> someone who doesn't have Telecom DSL to call) :)
    >>

    > SkypeOut or MSN Messenger works great with TC cable.

    And with ADSL, provided noone else uses the connection for anything else
    at the same time, lol.

    David, Apr 12, 2006
  8. thingy

    Phstpok Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    >thingy <> wrote in
    >

    >>Any body else done similar ie dumped cable to adsl after Clear annoyed
    >>you?
    >>
    >>I know if I was forced I would consider ADSL as an alternative......
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing
    >>

    >I looked into Actrix after misfit posted here, but I have the TV, decoder,
    >phone and cable internet. I went from 5 gigs to 10 and since I did not
    >care about my national / international split I am kinda happy.
    >
    >Moving off to ADSL, means two things for a cable full package customer.
    >1. Getting Telecom Land Line so you can even get ADSL with Actrix.
    >2. Getting a modem of some sort so you don't rent it.
    >
    >One of the reasons I have cable is because I could keep telecom out of my
    >house.

    Same here. Net, phone, tv. By the time I pay for a new modem, Telecom
    landline and Sky, no savings for 18 months, and something else could
    come along by then.

    Rob.

    --
    Phstpok - the friendly alien

    www.phstpok.com

    Never hold your farts in.
    They travel up your spine
    and into your brain,
    and that is where all your shitty ideas come from.

    Phstpok, Apr 12, 2006
  9. thingy

    Kent Smith Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:53:25 +1200, thingy <> wrote:
    >
    >>While getting an ear full of Clear on why I had to change my com21
    >>modem.....(for the third time).....
    >>
    >>Oh this is a cheaper service, we will throw in the modem for free saving
    >>you $13 a month....

    > The Modem is not FREE, I got charged for the last 3 months that they did
    > not
    > bill me.

    With their new plans it is bundled into the total cost whereas with the old
    plans it is a separate charge. My old plan + cable modem worked out more
    expensive than equivalent new faster plan so I switched and saved. If you
    have TV or phone, they'll bundle them together and give you event more
    discount.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Apr 13, 2006
  10. thingy

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message

    > One of the reasons I have cable is because I could keep telecom out of my
    > house.

    I can proudly say I've been Telecom free for 8 years. :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Apr 13, 2006
  11. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Kent Smith wrote:
    > "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>One of the reasons I have cable is because I could keep telecom out of my
    >>house.
    >>

    > I can proudly say I've been Telecom free for 8 years. :)
    >

    > -KENT

    hmmm 1999....

    :D

    Though our work mobiles just swapped from vodafone to telescum...so I
    cannot say Im free of them.....bu they dont get any of my money....

    :/

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 15, 2006
  12. thingy

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    thingy <> wrote:

    > uh.....well anyway you need to change its cheaper.....
    >
    > So the new plan is $81 and the old plan is $81.....
    >
    > Yes well we can do you a 1 gig plan that is $60 a month, so that is
    > cheaper is it not?
    >
    > I use on average 2~5 gig a month, so I am into additional charges on
    > that plan.....
    >
    > Ok so you want the same plan you are on now at 10 gig....it is $81 a
    > month....
    >
    > uh...uh the same amount I am paying now.....but I loose my National
    > traffic split....

    I'm confused here.

    What I currently have on TelstraClear cable (changed to the new plan
    starting last week) is:

    - 2 Mbps down
    - 2 Mbps up
    - 10 GB/month
    - excess traffic $3/GB (0.3c/MB)
    - $49.95/month, just cable, no phone, no TV ($69.95 if you want a phone)

    This is the cheapest cable plan if you use anywhere from 6.7 GB to 16.7
    GB a month. If you're using less than 6.7 GB on average then you're
    better off on the $40/month 5 GB plan -- except they won't give that one
    to you without a phone, so it's $60.

    So I don't understand what you're talking about with an $81 10 GB plan,
    or a $60 1 GB plan.

    And, yes, the new plans don't have a 1/10th national split -- but then
    the price for excess traffic has gone down from the $20/GB I was paying
    last year (on a 5 GB/month 2 Mbps/512 Kbps account with the 1/10th
    national traffic split) to $3/GB, so international traffic is only a
    little more expensive now than national traffic was then.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Apr 18, 2006
  13. thingy

    Kent Smith Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Kent Smith wrote:
    >> "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>One of the reasons I have cable is because I could keep telecom out of my
    >>>house.
    >>>

    >> I can proudly say I've been Telecom free for 8 years. :)
    >>

    > hmmm 1999....

    They been in Wellington since 1996 although I think the phones started about
    1998. On Kapiti coast (then Kiwi Cable) since 1990.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Apr 19, 2006