Alternatives for browser, email, newsgroup client..........?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Scott, Oct 10, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows XP.
    So at the moment I'm in the middle of downloading all the programs/updates
    I'm gonna need.
    I've been using Outlook express for my mail and newsgroup client (shock
    horror!). I'd like a good (preferably free - but I'm happy to pay for
    something as long as it's good and has a trial period so I can see if it's
    good for me) alternative. Rather than try out the squillions that are
    available I'd like some recommendations from people that are using them. I
    don't generally follow too many news groups - normally only about 3 or 4,
    but depending on what I'm doing can range up to 10 or maybe a bit more. Not
    much more though. Also thinking of changing browser too - just to try what's
    available (currently using IE)

    It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
    alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
    disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email, web)?

    What's everybody else using - and why?

    Would love to hear your comments.
    Thanks
    Scott
    Scott, Oct 10, 2003

  2. Scott

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Scott of Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:15 :

    > It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
    > alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
    > disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email,
    > web)?

    I think Mozilla is great, because it has tabbed browsing and because AFAIK
    it is more secure. Also check out Opera.
    Whatever browsers you are considering, be sure to research their security,
    and maybe test them out, for example ...
    http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Oct 10, 2003

  3. Scott

    Big Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:28:32 +1300, Peter <> wrote:

    >this quote is from Scott of Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:15 :
    >>
    >> It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
    >> alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
    >> disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email,
    >> web)?

    >I think Mozilla is great, because it has tabbed browsing and because AFAIK
    >it is more secure. Also check out Opera.
    >Whatever browsers you are considering, be sure to research their security,
    >and maybe test them out, for example ...
    >http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/
    >
    >HTH
    >
    >Peter

    Agent for News & E-mail..
    Big , Oct 10, 2003
  4. Scott

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:15:18 +1300, "Scott" <>
    wrote:

    >Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows XP.
    >So at the moment I'm in the middle of downloading all the programs/updates
    >I'm gonna need.
    >I've been using Outlook express for my mail and newsgroup client (shock
    >horror!). I'd like a good (preferably free - but I'm happy to pay for
    >something as long as it's good and has a trial period so I can see if it's
    >good for me) alternative. Rather than try out the squillions that are
    >available I'd like some recommendations from people that are using them. I
    >don't generally follow too many news groups - normally only about 3 or 4,
    >but depending on what I'm doing can range up to 10 or maybe a bit more. Not
    >much more though. Also thinking of changing browser too - just to try what's
    >available (currently using IE)
    >
    >It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
    >alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
    >disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email, web)?
    >
    >What's everybody else using - and why?

    Agent for news and email. Free Agent will give you a taste for it, but
    I think it only does news. Or only does mail. One of the them anyway.

    I've used Netscape and Mozilla. I wouldn't recommend them.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Oct 10, 2003
  5. Scott

    Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:15:18 +1300, Scott wrote:

    > Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows
    > XP.

    Do you *need* to use Micro$oft Windows XP?

    Have you considered trying out a new version of Linux?

    RedHat 9 and Mandrake 9.1 are good operating systems, and there are many
    good pieces of enterprise class software written for Linux, such as
    Evolution 1.4.5, and Open Office 1.1 .

    Both are easily usable by people who are familiar with Micro$oft Office
    and Micro$oft Outlook.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Oct 10, 2003
  6. Scott

    Eagle Eye Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows

    XP.
    > So at the moment I'm in the middle of downloading all the programs/updates
    > I'm gonna need.
    > I've been using Outlook express for my mail and newsgroup client (shock
    > horror!). I'd like a good (preferably free - but I'm happy to pay for
    > something as long as it's good and has a trial period so I can see if it's
    > good for me) alternative. Rather than try out the squillions that are
    > available I'd like some recommendations from people that are using them. I
    > don't generally follow too many news groups - normally only about 3 or 4,
    > but depending on what I'm doing can range up to 10 or maybe a bit more.

    Not
    > much more though. Also thinking of changing browser too - just to try

    what's
    > available (currently using IE)
    >
    > It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
    > alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
    > disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email,

    web)?

    > What's everybody else using - and why?
    >
    > Would love to hear your comments.
    > Thanks
    > Scott

    For a browser you'll probably want to use IE at least some of the time, but
    I like Mozilla as well. You don't need to install the mail/news part, you
    select which option you want when installing. The "Browser only" is all I
    need - it also has 'Composer' as part of the browser install - that's a
    "wysiwyg" HTML editor.

    For email and newsgroups, I currently use Outlook Express. I have tried
    others but have become so used to OE that I keep coming back to it. It is
    more secure than it used to be, and I prefer to read all mail in plain text.
    I have tried Pocomail, they offer you your money back if you don't like it.
    Pretty good, seeing as they have a trial version anyway.

    If you need word processor, spreadsheet, etc and need something, then you
    should get OpenOffice. Latest version is 1.1.0 which I downloaded the other
    day - it is huge, you may want to wait until it comes up on a magazine CD.
    It seems slow to load on my system, but then again I need more RAM! I mainly
    use Microsoft Works 7.0 which does all I need, but sometimes use OpenOffice
    when I need to do something that Works lacks. And there is no way I will pay
    for Microsoft Office - who the hell can afford that if you're only a home
    user? Fine if you need it for your work, etc though.

    Antivirus -incase you haven't thought of that yet...I use "eTrust EZ
    Antivirus". I have also used NOD32 from Eset. Both these products seem to do
    quite well. AVG Antivirus from Grisoft has a new version 7.0 but it's not
    free. They still have the free version 6.0, but how long can they continue
    with that?

    Hope this has helped :)

    Eagle Eye
    Eagle Eye, Oct 10, 2003
  7. Scott

    Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:09:50 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > I've used Netscape and Mozilla. I wouldn't recommend them.

    Why?

    I have found Mozilla is very good indeed as a Browser.

    I think it's email division is adequate.

    I think it's newsgroup division is appalling!

    Lennier
    Lennier, Oct 10, 2003
  8. Scott

    Ray Greene Guest

    Ray Greene, Oct 10, 2003
  9. Scott

    Big Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:11:55 +1300, Lennier <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:15:18 +1300, Scott wrote:
    >
    >> Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows
    >> XP.

    >Do you *need* to use Micro$oft Windows XP?
    >
    >Have you considered trying out a new version of Linux?
    >
    >RedHat 9 and Mandrake 9.1 are good operating systems, and there are many
    >good pieces of enterprise class software written for Linux, such as
    >Evolution 1.4.5, and Open Office 1.1 .
    >
    >Both are easily usable by people who are familiar with Micro$oft Office
    >and Micro$oft Outlook.
    >
    >Lennier

    Only used by nutters and Idiots..

    Lunix that is..
    Big , Oct 10, 2003
  10. Scott

    Dave Guest

    For a newsgroup client, I would try out Pan, check out pan.rebelbase.com
    you will need to download GTK for windows as well
    http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/releases/0.14.2/WINDOWS/

    I personally haven't used it under windows, but like it better
    than anything I used before under any OS.

    Depending on the feature you want from a browser, I would try out Mozilla
    Firebird, very nice small and fast, I recently installed it on a friends
    windows system, and he doesn't know how he ever put up with IE, he really
    liked it when I showed him tabbed browsing, and of course the pop up
    window stopping.

    I've got no recommendation for email client, but you could try out Mozilla
    Thunderbird.
    Dave, Oct 10, 2003
  11. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:15:18 +1300, Scott wrote:
    >
    > > Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows
    > > XP.

    > Do you *need* to use Micro$oft Windows XP?
    >
    > Have you considered trying out a new version of Linux?
    >
    > RedHat 9 and Mandrake 9.1 are good operating systems, and there are many
    > good pieces of enterprise class software written for Linux, such as
    > Evolution 1.4.5, and Open Office 1.1 .
    >
    > Both are easily usable by people who are familiar with Micro$oft Office
    > and Micro$oft Outlook.
    >
    > Lennier

    I'm replacing Windows XP Home with Windows XP Pro. I probably don't need to
    upgrade but I now have a (legitimate) version of xp pro, so I figure I might
    as well use it.

    Yes I have considered Linux.
    I had the current version of RedHat installed (dual boot with win xp home)
    but found that, since it was dual boot, I had most of the applications that
    I used and all my data on the winXP side of things so I found that I didn't
    tend to use Linux unless I needed it for something specifically
    Linux/unix-based.

    Even as I'm typing this I find I'm trying to find excuses NOT to mainly use
    Linux. I'm not entirely sure why, as I've been using it for the past few
    years (not at home) and I quite like it.

    I like playing games - but then there's only really two games I like to
    play, and that's not that often. These games are not available under Linux.

    Maybe I should be using Red Hat as my primary boot, and just using Windows
    as the alternative, for stuff only supported by windows.

    I dunno......something to think about anyway. Thanks.

    Scott
    Scott, Oct 10, 2003
  12. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Eagle Eye" <> wrote in message

    > "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > > Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows

    > XP.
    > > So at the moment I'm in the middle of downloading all the

    programs/updates
    > > I'm gonna need.
    > > I've been using Outlook express for my mail and newsgroup client (shock
    > > horror!). I'd like a good (preferably free - but I'm happy to pay for
    > > something as long as it's good and has a trial period so I can see if

    it's
    > > good for me) alternative. Rather than try out the squillions that are
    > > available I'd like some recommendations from people that are using them.

    > > don't generally follow too many news groups - normally only about 3 or

    4,
    > > but depending on what I'm doing can range up to 10 or maybe a bit more.

    > Not
    > > much more though. Also thinking of changing browser too - just to try

    > what's
    > > available (currently using IE)
    > >
    > > It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
    > > alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
    > > disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email,

    > web)?
    > >
    > > What's everybody else using - and why?
    > >
    > > Would love to hear your comments.
    > > Thanks
    > > Scott
    > >

    > For a browser you'll probably want to use IE at least some of the time,

    but
    > I like Mozilla as well. You don't need to install the mail/news part, you
    > select which option you want when installing. The "Browser only" is all I
    > need - it also has 'Composer' as part of the browser install - that's a
    > "wysiwyg" HTML editor.
    >
    > For email and newsgroups, I currently use Outlook Express. I have tried
    > others but have become so used to OE that I keep coming back to it.

    That's about where I am at. I've used a few others (but not for a while) and
    have kept coming back to OE.
    But I'm not too happy with it. The email stuff is ok I guess, but it's
    terribly lacking in features/functionality for newsreading.

    > It is
    > more secure than it used to be, and I prefer to read all mail in plain

    text.
    > I have tried Pocomail, they offer you your money back if you don't like

    it.
    > Pretty good, seeing as they have a trial version anyway.
    >
    > If you need word processor, spreadsheet, etc and need something, then you
    > should get OpenOffice. Latest version is 1.1.0 which I downloaded the

    other
    > day - it is huge, you may want to wait until it comes up on a magazine CD.
    > It seems slow to load on my system, but then again I need more RAM! I

    mainly
    > use Microsoft Works 7.0 which does all I need, but sometimes use

    OpenOffice
    > when I need to do something that Works lacks. And there is no way I will

    pay
    > for Microsoft Office - who the hell can afford that if you're only a home
    > user? Fine if you need it for your work, etc though.

    Yeah, I've been thinking about OpenOffice. I've had no problem with it on
    the Linux machines I've been using, so I'll probably download it tonight.

    > Antivirus -incase you haven't thought of that yet...I use "eTrust EZ
    > Antivirus". I have also used NOD32 from Eset. Both these products seem to

    do
    > quite well. AVG Antivirus from Grisoft has a new version 7.0 but it's not
    > free. They still have the free version 6.0, but how long can they continue
    > with that?

    Yeah, I've been using AVG for ages, and recommending it to everyone. Never
    had any problems with it.
    Also Sygate Personal Firewall. Both good programs.

    > Hope this has helped :)

    Yep
    Cheers
    Scott
    Scott, Oct 10, 2003
  13. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > For a newsgroup client, I would try out Pan, check out pan.rebelbase.com
    > you will need to download GTK for windows as well
    > http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/releases/0.14.2/WINDOWS/
    >
    > I personally haven't used it under windows, but like it better
    > than anything I used before under any OS.

    This program looks pretty damn good. Thanks, I think I'm gonna have to give
    it a try.
    Also good that it's available for Linux (mainly, it seems!) since I think I
    might be going the RedHat way....

    Cheers
    Scott
    Scott, Oct 10, 2003
  14. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    > Pegasus or Courier (formerly Calypso) for email, Agent for news, Opera

    for
    > web browsing.
    > www.pmail.com
    > www.rosecitysoftware.com/courier
    > www.forteinc.com
    > www.opera.com

    That Courier Email from RoseCitySoftware seems pretty good......I think I'll
    have to give that a try.
    Doesn't Opera's free version contain adware/spyware? Is the paid for version
    free of all that?

    Cheers
    Scott
    Scott, Oct 10, 2003
  15. Scott

    steve Guest

    Scott allegedly said:

    > Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows
    > XP. So at the moment I'm in the middle of downloading all the
    > programs/updates I'm gonna need.
    > I've been using Outlook express for my mail and newsgroup client (shock
    > horror!). I'd like a good (preferably free - but I'm happy to pay for
    > something as long as it's good and has a trial period so I can see if it's
    > good for me) alternative. Rather than try out the squillions that are
    > available I'd like some recommendations from people that are using them. I
    > don't generally follow too many news groups - normally only about 3 or 4,
    > but depending on what I'm doing can range up to 10 or maybe a bit more.
    > Not much more though. Also thinking of changing browser too - just to try
    > what's available (currently using IE)
    >
    > It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
    > alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
    > disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email,
    > web)?
    >
    > What's everybody else using - and why?
    >
    > Would love to hear your comments.
    > Thanks
    > Scott

    On Windows?

    Try:

    Mozilla Firebird for the browser.
    Mozilla Thunderbird for e-mail.

    They are separate applications.

    My wife uses Eudora 5.2.

    Some friends of mine use Pegasus Mail 4.12. It's free, it's good, and it's
    written by a Kiwi (David Harris in - I think - Dunedin). Pegasus has a
    world-wide user base.

    --
    defenestrate: The act of replacing Windows on your PC with some other
    operating system.
    steve, Oct 10, 2003
  16. Scott

    pete Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    home
    > > user? Fine if you need it for your work, etc though.

    > Yeah, I've been thinking about OpenOffice. I've had no problem with it on
    > the Linux machines I've been using, so I'll probably download it tonight.
    >
    > > Antivirus -incase you haven't thought of that yet...I use "eTrust EZ
    > > Antivirus". I have also used NOD32 from Eset. Both these products seem

    > do
    > > quite well. AVG Antivirus from Grisoft has a new version 7.0 but it's

    not
    > > free. They still have the free version 6.0, but how long can they

    continue
    > > with that?

    > Yeah, I've been using AVG for ages, and recommending it to everyone. Never
    > had any problems with it.
    > Also Sygate Personal Firewall. Both good programs.

    Calypso for an e-mail program is both nice and free (doesn't do newsgroups,
    tho, which is why this is coming from OE6)

    pete, Oct 10, 2003
  17. Scott

    Big Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:46:23 +1300, "Scott" <> wrote:

    >"Dave" <> wrote in message
    >> For a newsgroup client, I would try out Pan, check out pan.rebelbase.com
    >> you will need to download GTK for windows as well
    >> http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/releases/0.14.2/WINDOWS/
    >>
    >> I personally haven't used it under windows, but like it better
    >> than anything I used before under any OS.

    >This program looks pretty damn good. Thanks, I think I'm gonna have to give
    >it a try.
    >Also good that it's available for Linux (mainly, it seems!) since I think I
    >might be going the RedHat way....
    >
    >Cheers
    >Scott

    I would not as you are likely to loose your sanity..
    Big , Oct 10, 2003
  18. Scott

    Jay Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows
    > XP. So at the moment I'm in the middle of downloading all the
    > programs/updates I'm gonna need.
    > I've been using Outlook express for my mail and newsgroup client (shock
    > horror!). I'd like a good (preferably free - but I'm happy to pay for
    > something as long as it's good and has a trial period so I can see if it's
    > good for me) alternative. Rather than try out the squillions that are
    > available I'd like some recommendations from people that are using them. I
    > don't generally follow too many news groups - normally only about 3 or 4,
    > but depending on what I'm doing can range up to 10 or maybe a bit more.
    > Not much more though. Also thinking of changing browser too - just to try
    > what's available (currently using IE)
    >
    > It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
    > alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
    > disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email,
    > web)?
    >
    > What's everybody else using - and why?

    The biggest disadvantage with Mozilla on Windows is the load time.
    MS have arranged for IE to load fast, and Mozilla does sit in the system
    tray in an attempt to load faster - but it isn't perfect.

    Mozilla does provide nicer control, however.
    My favorites are the ability to have cookies live only 1 day,
    and the ability to stop unsolicited windows popping up.
    And the ability to change the User Agent string (you can pretend to be IE),
    plus being able to stop web sites wriing into you status line.
    You can also always read the page/frame source despite everything web
    sites might do to try to stop you.

    In short, Mozilla has better features than IE, but it loads a little slower.
    Jay, Oct 10, 2003
  19. Scott

    Jay Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > I'm replacing Windows XP Home with Windows XP Pro. I probably don't need
    > to upgrade but I now have a (legitimate) version of xp pro, so I figure I
    > might as well use it.
    >
    > Yes I have considered Linux.
    > I had the current version of RedHat installed (dual boot with win xp home)
    > but found that, since it was dual boot, I had most of the applications
    > that I used and all my data on the winXP side of things so I found that I
    > didn't tend to use Linux unless I needed it for something specifically
    > Linux/unix-based.

    I find that I use Windows and Linux about 20/80.
    My compromise is to run both (the Linux box is also firewall and
    printer server). However on Windows I run X-Win32 which gives me an
    X interface to Linux with Windows window manager. I do not bother
    with KDE or Gnome but just run specific Linux utilities as required
    and they look just like Windows programs because of the rootless X-Win32.

    But you can run KDE/Gnome if you set X-Win32 to rooted mode.
    But all KDE/Gnome applications run perfectly without the KDE/Gnome
    desktops.

    So two machines but only one display and keyboard.

    Anyhow I much prefer the simplicity of Windows especially when it
    comes to gui-navigation of file systems. But most of the time I use
    command-line interface to Linux anyhow.
    Jay, Oct 10, 2003
  20. On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:59:53 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >Pegasus or Courier (formerly Calypso) for email, Agent for news, Opera for
    >web browsing.
    >www.pmail.com
    >www.rosecitysoftware.com/courier
    >www.forteinc.com
    >www.opera.com

    I'm also running Pegasus, Free Agent and Opera.

    Pegasus is free and created by a Kiwi. It's safer than Outlook, but
    also slightly less pretty.

    Agent and Free Agent are great for newsgroups.

    Opera is quite small and super fast to load pages. I've chosen to keep
    IE, too, because every now and then I find a page that doesn't display
    quite right in Opera.

    I installed XP last week. Good luck, I love it.

    Bye,
    James
    James McLaughlin, Oct 10, 2003