    hate to buy, and a week later see something else with better
    features/performance. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post
    comparing the 30K to the S9000.
    QX, Feb 23, 2006

  2. QX

    Guest Guest

    You might take a look at the Kodak 850 (I think that's the one)
    Old Bob
    Guest, Feb 23, 2006

  3. QX

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:26:39 -0800, QX <> wrote:

    >I have tentatively decided on the Panasonic 30K rather than the Fuji
    >S9000. Before I go shopping, I'd like to know if there are any other
    >similar cameras out there in the approximate same price range. I'd
    >hate to buy, and a week later see something else with better
    >features/performance. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post
    >comparing the 30K to the S9000.

    Go to Dpreview, and, on the left side, hover over "Buying Guide", and
    start looking.
    We honestly can't tell you what you want to know, because we don't
    know what you really want to know. (What do you want, besides
    "something like the 30K"? What type of photography do you do? What
    features are important to you?)
    And, if you seriously don't want to buy for fear that something else
    will come out that you'll like more, soon, you'll never buy anything.
    So, pick a camera that suits your needs (the 30K?), and start taking
    photos.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Feb 23, 2006
  4. QX

    Tom2000 Guest

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:03:43 -0700, Bill Funk <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:26:39 -0800, QX <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have tentatively decided on the Panasonic 30K rather than the Fuji
    >>S9000. Before I go shopping, I'd like to know if there are any other
    >>similar cameras out there in the approximate same price range. I'd
    >>hate to buy, and a week later see something else with better
    >>features/performance. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post
    >>comparing the 30K to the S9000.

    >And, if you seriously don't want to buy for fear that something else
    >will come out that you'll like more, soon, you'll never buy anything.
    >So, pick a camera that suits your needs (the 30K?), and start taking
    >photos.

    Oh, man, that advice should be chiseled in stone, then gold plated for
    good measure. Those words apply to cameras, computers, automobiles,
    TV and stereo stuff, sporting goods, camping equipment, and just about
    anything else that you can mention!

    Regarding your choice between an FZ30 and ...what else...

    I recently purchased the FZ30, so I've been through exactly the same
    decision process that you're experiencing. If you want a bridge
    camera, the FZ30 is probably your best choice. I think the real
    decision should be between an FZ30 or any of the good entry-level
    dSLRs such as the D50.

    Your tradeoffs are simpler. Both approaches will cost you about the
    same amount of money up front. With the FZ30, you get a lot of
    features right out of the box. If you go the dSLR route, you'll gain
    better performance, but fewer features. If you want to match the
    FZ30's features later, you'll pay (..and pay and pay) for them
    downstream.

    So, how do you want to approch photography? Do you want to gain your
    capability in one lump sum, with only minor accessories purchased
    downstream, or can you afford to defer the expenses that will come up
    on an ongoing basis if you buy a dSLR?

    It all comes down to your needs and expectations. And, of course,
    your wallet.

    I've already gone the SLR route, back in the film days. One body and
    lens eventually wound up as two bodies, drives, six lenses, three
    strobes, and a whole slew of support equipment. When I'd go out for a
    shoot, I didn't know whether I was a photographer or a pack mule.

    So I went the FZ30 route. And still managed to stuff my camera bag to
    the brim. Sigh... But at least I won't be tempted to buy that $1500
    miracle lens six months down the road.

    Tom
    Tom2000, Feb 24, 2006
  5. QX

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    QX wrote:
    > I have tentatively decided on the Panasonic 30K rather than the Fuji
    > S9000. Before I go shopping, I'd like to know if there are any other
    > similar cameras out there in the approximate same price range. I'd
    > hate to buy, and a week later see something else with better
    > features/performance. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post
    > comparing the 30K to the S9000.

    If I were you, I would find someone with a 30K, and take a few photos
    with it to see if it's what you like. If you feel it will suit your
    needs, then I would go ahead and buy it, and be happy with the purchase
    knowing you did everything you possibly could to ensure that you made
    the right decision.

    If you don't, and isntead continually worry about what's coming down the
    pike that you might like better, then you'll probably never end up
    buying anything. The digital camera market is nothing like the old film
    market, where camera designs stayed pretty much the same for decades
    (i.e. the Nikon F5). In the digital camera field, new models are ALWAYS
    coming out. Your best defense is to find a camera that you will be
    happy with for at least the next couple of years.

    That said, the DMC-FZ30 is what I ended up getting, and I'm happy with
    it, and probably will be for a while yet. It's a recently-released
    camera, less than a year in production, so I figure it will be around
    for a while (though chances are, something better will show up down the
    road, maybe late. this year or early next). In addition, Panasonic
    definitely made a good choice partnering with Leica for optics, and
    despite having the stigma of being a newcomer to photography, they seem
    to be making up for that by having good product line stability and
    supporting their products well (unlike Sony, who makes many, many
    things, locks them into proprietary standards and formats, and then
    supports them all badly).

    Is there better out there than the FZ-30 for my needs? Maybe, but I
    haven't found it yet, and the fact that the FZ30 has suited my needs
    just fine up to now has not motivated me to actively look for better.
    This is a stark contract to my previous purchase, a Nikon model, in
    which I professed to "like" the camera well, but was constantly looking
    for better when I found the Lumix line.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Isaiah Beard, Feb 24, 2006