    should cost less than the current $18 or so. How much would
    you be willing to pay Netflix if you also had to pay the
    postage but there were no throttling delays?

    root, Feb 11, 2006

  2. root wrote:
    > What if Netflix offered an alternative plan where the customer
    > paid postage both ways? For the 3-out plan the alternative
    > should cost less than the current $18 or so. How much would
    > you be willing to pay Netflix if you also had to pay the
    > postage but there were no throttling delays?

    How about "If they're THAT impatient to watch Their Movie, let 'em eat
    Blockbuster."

    (And maybe I should offer a little perspective, here:
    It's been two months since I moved into my new place, and for one reason
    or another, the cable guys *still* haven't installed the jack as
    contracted, let alone hook it up....We're still working on that one.
    The current upshot is that there is no broadcast in my neck of the
    woods, and I haven't watched the evening news since 2005: Either I
    watch Netflix, I dig something out of my wine-cellar shelf, or my set
    literally goes dark.

    Now...you'd think--I mean, WOULDN'T you, now?...that I would be the
    *first* to champion the Holy Customers' right to demand everything they
    want, when they want it, and that Big Ol' Rich Corporations are being
    mean just because they won't give us an ice cream cone and a pony.
    But--wonder of wonders--for some odd reason, I've actually been
    *tolerant* of how a corporation operates its business strategy, and
    trying to look past my own bloated self-justifying ego to suggest that
    maybe what happens happens for an incorporated, profit-balancing reason.
    Well, a reason besides "they're mean and greedy", seeing as I
    graduated Seneca County Elementary School some years ago.

    Why am I philosophical about it?--I'm not too sure. Maybe I'm just a
    nice person. Maybe I know how complex businesses are to operate on a
    national scale, despite never having CEO'ed one myself.
    Or maybe I just still WANT there to be a Netflix a year from now, just
    in case the cable guys *still* haven't shown up yet.) :)

    Derek Janssen (Aspect of Maturity, #27: Being able to balance one's
    needs, without blaming symbolic authority figures)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 11, 2006

  3. root

    TB Guest

    "Derek Janssen" wrote:

    (snip)

    > Now...you'd think--I mean, WOULDN'T you, now?...that I would be the
    > *first* to champion the Holy Customers' right to demand everything they
    > want, when they want it, and that Big Ol' Rich Corporations are being mean
    > just because they won't give us an ice cream cone and a pony.
    > But--wonder of wonders--for some odd reason, I've actually been *tolerant*
    > of how a corporation operates its business strategy, and trying to look
    > past my own bloated self-justifying ego to suggest that maybe what happens
    > happens for an incorporated, profit-balancing reason. Well, a reason
    > besides "they're mean and greedy", seeing as I graduated Seneca County
    > Elementary School some years ago.

    Businesses love customers like you. They call you sheep.

    T.B.

    TB, Feb 11, 2006
  4. root

    none Guest

    The best plan would just attach a price to each rental and let the user
    assign the delivery date. If the new movies cost more than they cost
    more. If someone wants 5 movies on Feb 20th just send wend them 5 movies
    and bill them $7 to $12. Whatever the price. No nonsense. No games. Just
    convenient service at a good price. The Netflix throttling is only hurting
    Netflix. I know several people with Netflix who end up going to
    Blockbuster on the weekend because Netflix is late with the DVD's. Keep in
    mind they are not upgrading their Netflix account. They are going to the
    competition to get the movies when they want them. The same for new
    movies. After watching a movie sit at the top of the queue for 4 weeks
    they just go to the local store and rent it. Again Netflix loses.
    Eventually we will all just cancel netflix.

    none, Feb 11, 2006
  5. TB wrote:

    > "Derek Janssen" wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >

    >>Now...you'd think--I mean, WOULDN'T you, now?...that I would be the
    >>*first* to champion the Holy Customers' right to demand everything they
    >>want, when they want it, and that Big Ol' Rich Corporations are being mean
    >>just because they won't give us an ice cream cone and a pony.
    >>But--wonder of wonders--for some odd reason, I've actually been *tolerant*
    >>of how a corporation operates its business strategy, and trying to look
    >>past my own bloated self-justifying ego to suggest that maybe what happens
    >>happens for an incorporated, profit-balancing reason. Well, a reason
    >>besides "they're mean and greedy", seeing as I graduated Seneca County
    >>Elementary School some years ago.

    > Businesses love customers like you. They call you sheep.

    A sheep who gets to watch his rental movies, baa-stard. :)

    Derek Janssen (oo, "Company of Wolves" tonight, my favorite!)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 11, 2006
  6. root

    Bob Guest

    On , root <> wrote:

    >How much would
    >you be willing to pay Netflix if you also had to pay the
    >postage but there were no throttling delays?

    The consumer can't get the bulk mailing deal that NF can.

    --

    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
    I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

    Bob, Feb 11, 2006
  7. root

    TB Guest

    "Derek Janssen" wrote:

    >> (snip)
    >>

    >>>Now...you'd think--I mean, WOULDN'T you, now?...that I would be the
    >>>*first* to champion the Holy Customers' right to demand everything they
    >>>want, when they want it, and that Big Ol' Rich Corporations are being
    >>>mean just because they won't give us an ice cream cone and a pony.
    >>>But--wonder of wonders--for some odd reason, I've actually been
    >>>*tolerant* of how a corporation operates its business strategy, and
    >>>trying to look past my own bloated self-justifying ego to suggest that
    >>>maybe what happens happens for an incorporated, profit-balancing reason.
    >>>Well, a reason besides "they're mean and greedy", seeing as I graduated
    >>>Seneca County Elementary School some years ago.

    >> Businesses love customers like you. They call you sheep.

    > A sheep who gets to watch his rental movies, baa-stard. :)

    Mildly funny.

    Regardless, I'd never sign up for such a business like Netflix.
    "Throttling," dealing with the likelihood of postal screwups, large
    percentage of damaged discs - screw that. I just don't understand anyone who
    can defend a company like Netflix that knowingly makes claims that they do
    not fully honor regardless of customers who might take full advantage of
    such advertised claims.

    The corner video store is good enough for my dvd rental requirements.
    There's just something to be said for walking in, finding what they have in
    stock, making a couple selections and paying for them and leaving with them.
    Any obscure, rare movie I may want to watch that no one locally carries,
    I'll just buy it say, off an eBay seller, watch it at my leisure and resell
    it at some point later if I want to unload it.

    T.B.

    TB, Feb 11, 2006
  8. root

    root Guest

    Bob <> wrote:
    > On , root <> wrote:
    >
    >>How much would
    >>you be willing to pay Netflix if you also had to pay the
    >>postage but there were no throttling delays?

    > The consumer can't get the bulk mailing deal that NF can.

    Netflix could bill the customer for their bulk rate.

    root, Feb 11, 2006
  9. root wrote:
    > Bob <> wrote:
    >
    >>On , root <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>How much would
    >>>you be willing to pay Netflix if you also had to pay the
    >>>postage but there were no throttling delays?

    >>The consumer can't get the bulk mailing deal that NF can.

    > Netflix could bill the customer for their bulk rate.

    ....And what do you think you're paying $17.95 for, warehouse upkeep?

    Derek Janssen (which brings us back to "$0.78 a pop" greedy-pig argument)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 11, 2006
  10. root

    GuessWho Guest

    Why not just quit Netflix and subscribe to Intelliflix?

    Wayne

    GuessWho, Feb 11, 2006
  11. root

    Alpha Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > "Derek Janssen" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> (snip)

    >>> Businesses love customers like you. They call you sheep.

    >> A sheep who gets to watch his rental movies, baa-stard. :)

    > Mildly funny.
    >
    > Regardless, I'd never sign up for such a business like Netflix.
    > "Throttling," dealing with the likelihood of postal screwups, large
    > percentage of damaged discs - screw that. I just don't understand anyone
    > who can defend a company like Netflix that knowingly makes claims that
    > they do not fully honor regardless of customers who might take full
    > advantage of such advertised claims.
    >
    > The corner video store is good enough for my dvd rental requirements.
    > There's just something to be said for walking in, finding what they have
    > in stock, making a couple selections and paying for them and leaving with
    > them. Any obscure, rare movie I may want to watch that no one locally
    > carries, I'll just buy it say, off an eBay seller, watch it at my leisure
    > and resell it at some point later if I want to unload it.
    >
    > T.B.

    Fine TB. That corner video store is absolutely inadequate for my interests.
    Get a clue...people are different, not the same like you.

    Alpha, Feb 11, 2006
  12. root

    Alpha Guest

    "GuessWho" <> wrote in message
    > Why not just quit Netflix and subscribe to Intelliflix?

    Because the site is slow, clunky, and inaccurate. The site itself is more
    of a problem than the service.

    Alpha, Feb 11, 2006
  13. root

    Jacques Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:43:27 GMT, root <> wrote:
    >What if Netflix offered an alternative plan where the customer
    >paid postage both ways? For the 3-out plan the alternative
    >should cost less than the current $18 or so. How much would
    >you be willing to pay Netflix if you also had to pay the
    >postage but there were no throttling delays?

    I would pay $1.50 total per movie watched (so 75 cents each way). With
    their throttling that's about what it works out to now anyway ($17.99
    divided by 12).

    Another reason for the $1.50 is that there is a local store that rents
    catalog titles for that price, but they are further away. A third
    reason is (last I checked) after 3 months time you can get new
    releases at HW Video for $10 with a 1 month pass.

    Jacques, Feb 12, 2006
  14. root

    TB Guest

    "Alpha" wrote:

    (snip)

    > Fine TB. That corner video store is absolutely inadequate for my
    > interests. Get a clue...people are different, not the same like you.

    Obviously. I'm not like some people here who subscribe to a service with
    known long term problems and then bitch on the internet about those same
    issues.

    T.B.

    TB, Feb 12, 2006
  15. root

    Sam Rouse Guest

    In article <w4yHf.11958$>,
    "TB" <> wrote:

    > "Alpha" wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    > >
    > > Fine TB. That corner video store is absolutely inadequate for my
    > > interests. Get a clue...people are different, not the same like you.

    > Obviously. I'm not like some people here who subscribe to a service with
    > known long term problems and then bitch on the internet about those same
    > issues.

    Alternatively, the "known long term problems" don't seem to be long-term or even
    problems for more than a few, some of whom like to bitch about it on the
    internet.

    Sam Rouse, Feb 12, 2006
  16. root

    root Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > root wrote:
    >> Bob <> wrote:

    >>>The consumer can't get the bulk mailing deal that NF can.

    >> Netflix could bill the customer for their bulk rate.

    > ...And what do you think you're paying $17.95 for, warehouse upkeep?

    You seem to miss my point. If the postage is the primary reason
    for the throttling, then removing that reason might allow
    faster turnaround. Those opting to pay postage would pay less
    up front in return for a per movie fee. Two tiers of customers.

    root, Feb 12, 2006
  17. root

    PC Medic Guest

    "root" <> wrote in message news:3npHf.43$...
    > What if Netflix offered an alternative plan where the customer
    > paid postage both ways? For the 3-out plan the alternative
    > should cost less than the current $18 or so. How much would
    > you be willing to pay Netflix if you also had to pay the
    > postage but there were no throttling delays?

    I'd be willing to pay the same as the other customer that gets his movies
    shipped out before me even though mine were returned first.

    Much simpler way for them to have done this instead of 'throttling' would be
    'combined shipping'. If you have multiple movies shipping to you from the
    same facility (almost always the case) offer you the option in your profile
    to have them placed in a single shipping envelope and you return them in the
    same single envelope.
    The weight of a CD is minimal and would more than halve their current
    shipping rate using this method.

    Truth is IMHO they are simply trying to push those that rent more to pay
    more by moving to a higher tier.

    Perhaps to help them save money and be sure all their NEW and Less frequent
    renters are happy, we should all hold our movies for the entire month and
    return them on March 1st. Certainly would make a point when a few million
    CD's from their inventory were tied up sitting at customers homes!

    PC Medic, Feb 12, 2006
  18. On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 12:59:48 -0500, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    Snip
    >(And maybe I should offer a little perspective, here:
    >It's been two months since I moved into my new place, and for one reason
    >or another, the cable guys *still* haven't installed the jack as
    >contracted, let alone hook it up....We're still working on that one.
    >The current upshot is that there is no broadcast in my neck of the
    >woods, and I haven't watched the evening news since 2005: Either I
    >watch Netflix, I dig something out of my wine-cellar shelf, or my set
    >literally goes dark.

    Snip

    Why dont you just go to one of the major retail chains and pick up
    DISH or DirecTv. You could get the basic package. and do Pay Per View
    for the new flicks.

    Fred C. Dobbs, Feb 12, 2006
  19. root

    Guest

    PC Medic wrote:

    > Much simpler way for them to have done this instead of 'throttling' would be
    > 'combined shipping'. If you have multiple movies shipping to you from the
    > same facility (almost always the case) offer you the option in your profile
    > to have them placed in a single shipping envelope and you return them in the
    > same single envelope. The weight of a CD is minimal and would more than
    > halve their current shipping rate using this method.

    Pardon, but you obviously do not understand how the USPS operates.
    Your proposed solution would not only complicate NetFlix's mail
    preparation, it would require the use of affixed [metered or stamped]
    postage instead of permit imprints and deprive NetFlix of some of the
    postal discounts for which they now qualify.

    Secondly, an additional DVD would obviously push the weight class up
    an ounce [a DVD is roughly 0.6 ounces] meaning NetFlix would pay an
    additional 24 cents each way. While this is lower than the cost of two
    envelopes, the postal "savings" is on the order of 14% at best, not
    50%. This savings would apply only to a subset of their total postage
    bill, and in my estimation would be more than eaten up by the
    additional costs in preparation and loss of discounts.

    Add to this that the additional stiffness of the package may well
    require sorting on flat equipment instead of letter equipment to
    prevent damage, and you are adding to the postal delivery time.

    , Feb 12, 2006
  20. root

    PC Medic Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > PC Medic wrote:
    >
    >> Much simpler way for them to have done this instead of 'throttling' would
    >> be
    >> 'combined shipping'. If you have multiple movies shipping to you from the
    >> same facility (almost always the case) offer you the option in your
    >> profile
    >> to have them placed in a single shipping envelope and you return them in
    >> the
    >> same single envelope. The weight of a CD is minimal and would more than
    >> halve their current shipping rate using this method.

    > Pardon, but you obviously do not understand how the USPS operates.
    > Your proposed solution would not only complicate NetFlix's mail
    > preparation, it would require the use of affixed [metered or stamped]
    > postage instead of permit imprints and deprive NetFlix of some of the
    > postal discounts for which they now qualify.

    Wrong...and I am quite aware of how the USPS works as my company uses them
    (and UPS) to ship thousands of items daily. 3 CD's in a single mailer would
    cause little IF any change in rate and what ever slight change there was
    would certainly be less costly than 3 seperate mailers (savings in both
    postage and materials).

    > Secondly, an additional DVD would obviously push the weight class up
    > an ounce [a DVD is roughly 0.6 ounces] meaning NetFlix would pay an
    > additional 24 cents each way. While this is lower than the cost of two
    > envelopes, the postal "savings" is on the order of 14% at best, not
    > 50%. This savings would apply only to a subset of their total postage
    > bill, and in my estimation would be more than eaten up by the
    > additional costs in preparation and loss of discounts.

    I do not agree totally with your figures and yes it MAY cost slightly more,
    but still would be less than 3 seperate mailers.

    > Add to this that the additional stiffness of the package may well
    > require sorting on flat equipment instead of letter equipment to
    > prevent damage, and you are adding to the postal delivery time.

    I ship double packs of CD's every day (in the cardboard media mailers) and
    rarely does it take longer than 1-2 days for customers in the region to
    receive them. Besides, my main complaint is not in how long USPS is taking,
    it is the recent 2-3 day turn-around at the Netflix facility itself.

    PC Medic, Feb 12, 2006