    @ Sherry @
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

    ---

    Sherry, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Sherry

    Boomer Guest

    "Sherry" <sherry@no_junkfinnmarketing.com> wrote in
    news:tLSqb.1328$:

    > I love AVG & have on home & all work computers except for one --
    > it just won't install properly. Computer freezes, etc.
    >
    > Is there a good (free, natch!) alternative you could recommend?
    >
    > TIA -

    Avast.

    You might want to read through this group also:
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    Boomer, Nov 7, 2003

  3. Sherry

    slumpy Guest

    With a rumble and a belch Boomer decided to put the World to rights with
    this little speech from the heart...

    > "Sherry" <sherry@no_junkfinnmarketing.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I love AVG & have on home & all work computers except for one --
    >> it just won't install properly. Computer freezes, etc.
    >>
    >> Is there a good (free, natch!) alternative you could recommend?
    >>
    >> TIA -

    > Avast.
    >
    > You might want to read through this group also:
    > alt.comp.anti-virus

    Dammit you beat me to it :-0
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Nov 7, 2003
  4. Sherry

    Boomer Guest

    "slumpy" <> wrote in

    > With a rumble and a belch Boomer decided to put the World to
    > rights with this little speech from the heart...
    >
    >> "Sherry" <sherry@no_junkfinnmarketing.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I love AVG & have on home & all work computers except for one --
    >>> it just won't install properly. Computer freezes, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a good (free, natch!) alternative you could recommend?
    >>>
    >>> TIA -

    >> Avast.
    >>
    >> You might want to read through this group also:
    >> alt.comp.anti-virus

    > Dammit you beat me to it :-0

    You're slowing down in your old age. ;o)

    Boomer, Nov 7, 2003
  5. Sherry

    Ed Guest

    "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > With a rumble and a belch Boomer decided to put the World to rights with
    > this little speech from the heart...
    >
    > > "Sherry" <sherry@no_junkfinnmarketing.com> wrote in
    > >
    > >> I love AVG & have on home & all work computers except for one --
    > >> it just won't install properly. Computer freezes, etc.
    > >>
    > >> Is there a good (free, natch!) alternative you could recommend?
    > >>
    > >> TIA -

    > > Avast.
    > >
    > > You might want to read through this group also:
    > > alt.comp.anti-virus

    > Dammit you beat me to it :-0
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just slumpy

    So.. would you guys think that Avast is better/worse/same as AVG?

    Ed, Nov 7, 2003
  6. Sherry

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Ed said:

    > "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    >> With a rumble and a belch Boomer decided to put the World to rights with
    >> this little speech from the heart...
    >>
    >>> "Sherry" <sherry@no_junkfinnmarketing.com> wrote in

    >>> Avast.
    >>>
    >>> You might want to read through this group also:
    >>> alt.comp.anti-virus

    >> Dammit you beat me to it :-0
    >> --
    >> slumpy
    >> no more
    >> no less
    >> just slumpy
    >>

    > So.. would you guys think that Avast is better/worse/same as AVG?

    Whatever rings your bell.
    The fact that you are properly protected is all that is important.

    Brian H¹©, Nov 7, 2003
  7. Sherry

    Ed Guest

    > Ed said:
    >
    > > "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > >> With a rumble and a belch Boomer decided to put the World to rights

    with
    > >> this little speech from the heart...

    > >> Dammit you beat me to it :-0
    > >> --
    > >> slumpy
    > >> no more
    > >> no less
    > >> just slumpy
    > >>

    > > So.. would you guys think that Avast is better/worse/same as AVG?

    > Whatever rings your bell.
    > The fact that you are properly protected is all that is important.

    Which is the point of my inquiry. I read somewhere that AVG is free, but
    "you get what you pay for" implying that it may not have as robust a
    "library" for AV coverage as, say, Norton or McAfee. Of course I'd rather
    run the freeware, but if one is a better watchdog than the other that would
    be important to know.

    TIA

    Ed, Nov 7, 2003
  8. Sherry

    Boomer Guest

    "Ed" <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote in

    > "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    >> With a rumble and a belch Boomer decided to put the World to
    >> rights with this little speech from the heart...
    >>
    >> > "Sherry" <sherry@no_junkfinnmarketing.com> wrote in

    >> > Avast.
    >> >
    >> > You might want to read through this group also:
    >> > alt.comp.anti-virus

    >> Dammit you beat me to it :-0
    >> --
    >> slumpy
    >> no more
    >> no less
    >> just slumpy
    >>

    > So.. would you guys think that Avast is better/worse/same as AVG?

    How do you use your computer? Do a lot of downloading? Do you use OE
    for e-mail? Do you hvae a firewall? Latest patches from MS?

    I've never had a virus near this computer so I can't tell you what
    product is better than the other. I'd suggest you check out the sites
    of the products and read through alt.comp.anti-virus

    Boomer, Nov 7, 2003
  9. Sherry

    °Mike° Guest

    AVG should install without problems. Try re-downloading
    it (from Grisoft, not any other site), and perform some
    computer maintenance BEFORE installing it. Be SURE
    to run full surface scandisk, to rule out bad sectors on
    the hard drive.

    Basic computer maintenance

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:54:03 GMT, in
    <tLSqb.1328$>
    Sherry scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Nov 7, 2003
  10. Sherry

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Ed said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Ed said:
    >>
    >>> "slumpy" <> wrote in message

    >>> So.. would you guys think that Avast is better/worse/same as AVG?

    >> Whatever rings your bell.
    >> The fact that you are properly protected is all that is important.
    >>

    > Which is the point of my inquiry. I read somewhere that AVG is free, but
    > "you get what you pay for" implying that it may not have as robust a
    > "library" for AV coverage as, say, Norton or McAfee. Of course I'd rather
    > run the freeware, but if one is a better watchdog than the other that would
    > be important to know.
    >
    > TIA

    AVG is by far, better than Norton or McAfee

    Brian H¹©, Nov 7, 2003
  11. Sherry

    Ed Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > "Ed" <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote in
    >
    > > "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > >> With a rumble and a belch Boomer decided to put the World to
    > >> rights with this little speech from the heart...

    > >> Dammit you beat me to it :-0
    > >> --
    > >> slumpy
    > >> no more
    > >> no less
    > >> just slumpy
    > >>

    > > So.. would you guys think that Avast is better/worse/same as AVG?

    > How do you use your computer? Do a lot of downloading? Do you use OE
    > for e-mail? Do you hvae a firewall? Latest patches from MS?
    >
    > I've never had a virus near this computer so I can't tell you what
    > product is better than the other. I'd suggest you check out the sites
    > of the products and read through alt.comp.anti-virus

    Good points... thanks to all for the replies.

    Ed

    Ed, Nov 7, 2003
  12. Sherry

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 7, 2003
  13. Sherry

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> "Ed" <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote in

    [snip]
    >> > So.. would you guys think that Avast is better/worse/same as
    >> > AVG?

    >> How do you use your computer? Do a lot of downloading? Do you
    >> use OE for e-mail? Do you hvae a firewall? Latest patches from
    >> MS?
    >>
    >> I've never had a virus near this computer so I can't tell you
    >> what product is better than the other. I'd suggest you check out
    >> the sites of the products and read through alt.comp.anti-virus
    >>

    > Good points... thanks to all for the replies.
    >
    > Ed

    You're welcome. :)

    Boomer, Nov 7, 2003
  14. Sherry

    trout Guest

    Ed wrote:
    <snip>

    > So.. would you guys think that Avast is better/worse/same as AVG?

    They're both free. Why decide?
    I've never had a problem with AVG; but I decided to install Avast as a
    back-up to double-check (never a bad idea).
    Obviously, you can't have "Resident Protection" running on both
    simultaneously; but once a week or so, I'll disable AVG, and do an
    update and scan with Avast.
    Even without it running full-time, I like have two virus-scan
    choices on the right-click context menu for individual files.
    --
    "You may like one interface more than another, and want to swap the
    roles."

    trout, Nov 7, 2003
  15. Harvey Van Sickle, Nov 7, 2003
  16. Sherry

    ilmc Guest

    slumpy typed:
    > With a rumble and a belch Boomer decided to put the World to rights
    > with this little speech from the heart...
    >
    >> "Sherry" <sherry@no_junkfinnmarketing.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I love AVG & have on home & all work computers except for one --
    >>> it just won't install properly. Computer freezes, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a good (free, natch!) alternative you could recommend?
    >>>
    >>> TIA -

    >> Avast.

    Ahah me hearties! Cutlasses and sabres!

    Like you, as you said in another part of this thread, I've never had a
    problem with a virus. My lusers have (and that includes both my sons), but
    only because they shut down the av/firewall " because it was taking to long
    to boot".
    AAAARGH!

    ilmc, Nov 7, 2003
  17. Sherry

    hugh jass Guest

    EZAntivirus by computer associates.
    they have a trial version that will let you decide.
    the prices are very reasonable (if you plan to buy, hold out with the trial
    version and they may send you a better offer than what's on the website)
    and it isn't BLOATware.
    --
    ______________________
    "Harvey Van Sickle" <> wrote in message
    : On 07 Nov 2003, °Mike° wrote
    :
    : > On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:28:43 GMT, in
    : > <%fTqb.3061$>
    : > Ed scrawled:
    : >
    : ><snip>
    : >
    : >> So.. would you guys think that Avast is better/worse/same as AVG?
    : >
    : > Both leave a LOT to be desired.
    : >
    : > http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avist.xml
    : >
    : > http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml
    :
    : So what do you recommend?
    :
    : --
    : Cheers,
    : Harvey
    :
    : For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.

    hugh jass, Nov 7, 2003
  18. Sherry

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:18:29 GMT, in
    <Xns942CD8C1FB4DAwhhvans@62.253.162.114>
    Harvey Van Sickle scrawled:

    >On 07 Nov 2003, °Mike° wrote
    >
    >> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:28:43 GMT, in
    >> <%fTqb.3061$>
    >> Ed scrawled:
    >>
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>> So.. would you guys think that Avast is better/worse/same as AVG?

    >> Both leave a LOT to be desired.
    >>
    >> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avist.xml
    >>
    >> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml

    >So what do you recommend?

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 7, 2003
  19. Sherry

    slumpy Guest

    With a rumble and a belch ilmc decided to put the World to rights with this
    little speech from the heart...

    > Ahah me hearties! Cutlasses and sabres!
    >
    > Like you, as you said in another part of this thread, I've never had a
    > problem with a virus. My lusers have (and that includes both my
    > sons), but only because they shut down the av/firewall " because it
    > was taking to long to boot".
    > AAAARGH!

    I would love to say the same, but managed to somehow (I have no idea how)
    managed to contract Blaster between setting up my internet connection and
    installing AV software (about 20 minutes!) two days ago, after a format of
    my HDD.

    I was well pissed off ;-)

    I was a virgin until that moment....
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Nov 7, 2003
  20. Sherry

    ilmc Guest

    slumpy typed:
    > With a rumble and a belch ilmc decided to put the World to rights
    > with this little speech from the heart...
    >
    >> Ahah me hearties! Cutlasses and sabres!
    >>
    >> Like you, as you said in another part of this thread, I've never had
    >> a problem with a virus. My lusers have (and that includes both my
    >> sons), but only because they shut down the av/firewall " because it
    >> was taking to long to boot".
    >> AAAARGH!

    > I would love to say the same, but managed to somehow (I have no idea
    > how) managed to contract Blaster between setting up my internet
    > connection and installing AV software (about 20 minutes!) two days
    > ago, after a format of my HDD.
    >
    > I was well pissed off ;-)
    >
    > I was a virgin until that moment....

    Well, don't make a habit of it. Just remember that Madonna song...

    ilmc, Nov 7, 2003