alternative TELEZOOM for canon

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pablo3style, Jan 29, 2008.

  1. pablo3style

    pablo3style Guest

    hiya!!

    just trying to change my lenses for something longer, sharper, and
    better ;) in my situation the most important is image quality ,
    second is AF speed because i'm taking sports photos, last one is
    lightness because i'm usually have enough sun around.

    i found to lenses but i'm not sure if i can compeer it

    canon EF 28/300/3.5-5.6 L IS USM

    or

    canon EF 100-400/4.5.-5.6 L IS USM

    i'm not sure if i have got some other alternative, everywhere i can
    find that for exampel 70-200/2.8 L with X2Converter giving worst
    quality - is it true???

    pablo3style

    www.photo.net/photos/pablo3style

    pablo3style, Jan 29, 2008

  2. pablo3style

    JimKramer Guest

    On Jan 29, 8:39 am, pablo3style <> wrote:
    > hiya!!
    >
    > just trying to change my lenses for something longer, sharper, and
    > better ;) in my situation the most important is image quality ,
    > second is AF speed because i'm taking sports photos, last one is
    > lightness because i'm usually have enough sun around.
    >
    > i found to lenses but i'm not sure if i can compeer it
    >
    > canon EF 28/300/3.5-5.6 L IS USM
    >
    > or
    >
    > canon EF 100-400/4.5.-5.6 L IS USM
    >
    > i'm not sure if i have got some other alternative, everywhere i can
    > find that for exampel 70-200/2.8 L with X2Converter giving worst
    > quality - is it true???
    >
    > pablo3style
    >
    > www.photo.net/photos/pablo3style

    I've not used the 28-300. The 100-400 is a solid performer from 100 to
    about 370, after that it tends to get soft. If you are pushing to 400
    all the time get the fixed focal length 400. The 70-200 F2.8 IS is
    fine with a 1.4X Teleconverter on it, but suffers with a 2X on it,
    what lenses don't. :) For the money and after looking at your
    website, I think the 100-400 is your best bet for the money. If you
    can find a lens rental location and try them out first.
    Jim

    JimKramer, Jan 29, 2008

  3. pablo3style

    pablo3style Guest

    I think the 100-400 is your best bet for the money. If you
    > can find a lens rental location and try them out first.

    Jim many thanks for info - i will do it - i will test and chose
    later ...

    just checked aboute converter x1.4 and quality in tests is OK

    so maybe somebody can tell which of this lenses has best optical
    quality?

    70-200/2.8 L USM

    70-200/4.0 L USM

    70-200/2.8 L IS USM

    70-200/4.0 L IS USM

    the lightness is not the most important so what are your's
    sugestion ??

    pablo3style, Jan 30, 2008