    has a 24" model available, but so do HP, LaCie, and others. Thanks for
    the help.
    , Jun 14, 2010

  2. In article
    <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > The backlighting is too bright and cannot be be correctly adjusted for
    > proper monitor calibration.

    Mark-

    My iMac is the first Intel 20" model. I wonder if you tried adjusting
    your iMac's brightness with the f1 and f2 keys? That doesn't work on my
    iMac, but does on a year-old Mac Pro.

    Using a VGA adapter, an older Samsung 17" LCD monitor works OK as a
    second screen. However it is showing its age, with the center slightly
    brighter than the edges. That old monitor cost around $1000 when new,
    but could be replaced today with a better unit for much less money.

    You may find an external monitor that meets your needs. However, if you
    are doing professional photo work, it might be worth it to go ahead and
    get a Mac Pro with an Apple monitor (or two).

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Jun 14, 2010

  3. Martin Brown Guest

    On 14/06/2010 03:47, wrote:
    > I have an iMac 20", a version just prior to the present available
    > versions. I am doing photography that requires some color management.
    > The monitor on the iMac is notoriously unsuited for color management.
    > The backlighting is too bright and cannot be be correctly adjusted for
    > proper monitor calibration. I have tried a couple of workarounds
    > (ColorEyes, Dark Adapt) that help some but do not really solve the
    > problem. Martin Evening's new book about Photoshop CS5 tells of facing
    > the same problem. He suggests nothing will help except getting a 2nd
    > monitor that does not suffer from excessive backlighting. I am
    > prepared to give serious consideration to doing just that,
    >
    > I would guess that something like a 24" monitor would be right. I
    > would appreciate suggestions of monitors that would be suitable. There
    > seems to be a number available. How do you choose among them? Apple
    > has a 24" model available, but so do HP, LaCie, and others. Thanks for
    > the help.

    HP LP2475w is worth a look - it is one of a handful of IPS 24" displays
    that span the boundary between professional no expense spared colour
    managed monitors and cheap gaming never mind the quality feel the width
    ones. The colour gamut on it is considerably wider than on TN LCDs.

    Reviews sometimes complain of headaches from the brighter reds but I
    suspect they are the ones who fail to adjust the display from its
    factory default "shop display" mode (too saturated, too bright etc).

    I am surprised the Apple display lacks adequate brightness adjustment
    though. Apple kit is never cheap and it is a basic requirement.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Jun 14, 2010
  4. Pete Guest

    On 2010-06-14 07:06:13 +0100, Savageduck said:

    > On 2010-06-13 19:47:47 -0700, "" <> said:
    >
    >> I have an iMac 20", a version just prior to the present available
    >> versions. I am doing photography that requires some color management.
    >> The monitor on the iMac is notoriously unsuited for color management.
    >> The backlighting is too bright and cannot be be correctly adjusted for
    >> proper monitor calibration. I have tried a couple of workarounds
    >> (ColorEyes, Dark Adapt) that help some but do not really solve the
    >> problem. Martin Evening's new book about Photoshop CS5 tells of facing
    >> the same problem. He suggests nothing will help except getting a 2nd
    >> monitor that does not suffer from excessive backlighting. I am
    >> prepared to give serious consideration to doing just that,
    >>
    >> I would guess that something like a 24" monitor would be right. I
    >> would appreciate suggestions of monitors that would be suitable. There
    >> seems to be a number available. How do you choose among them? Apple
    >> has a 24" model available, but so do HP, LaCie, and others. Thanks for
    >> the help.

    > Certainly any of the monitors you have mentioned and both the Apple Pro
    > and Samsung monitors are also worth considering as add-ons.
    >
    > ...but first I would suggest you actually open the System Preferences
    > on your Mac. Open the Displays panel, select color and go through the
    > step by step calibration. Create a profile for the calibration you
    > reach. I think you will be surprised at the difference between the
    > Apple default and the calibration you end up with.
    > It is quite simple to do and does not require any expertise other than
    > your eyeball.
    >
    > Good luck.

    When using System Preference for calibration be sure to select a Target
    Gamma of 2.2 instead of the Apple default 1.8. IIRC Snow Leopard
    changed the default to 2.2, which is the correct value for rendering
    photos and video.

    The calibration is best done as an admistrative user otherwise it is
    very difficult to share the monitor profile between multiple users.
    Check calibration again after a system restart, something odd happened
    during my calibration using Leopard. Also be aware that some
    viewing/editing software gets confused over display profiles when it
    straddles two monitors.

    --
    Pete
    Pete, Jun 14, 2010