Alternative DVD encoding & writing software

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I just wondered if anyone can recommend any alternative software for
    writing DVDs to Nero 6 and TMPG DVD Author?

    Nero 6 is too slow, and TMPG doesn't work. There is a fault with it
    that Pegasys technical support don't seem to be able to fix. The
    output part works but the writing doesn't.

    Even if I just to the output in TMPG and then write with Nero, all I
    get is the video, I don't have any menus unfortunately.

    I am looking for something similar to TMPG DVA that is fast at
    encoding.

    Thanks

    John

    John, Mar 27, 2005

  2. John

    Smarty Guest

    I have at least a half dozen authoring programs here, and NONE are as fast
    as TMPGE DVA. Nero 6 is also the fastest of the burning programs I have,
    comparing to 4 others I own.

    Maybe we can help you get them to work. We've had literally thousands of
    questions on this newsgroup over the last 4 years I've been here, and I
    cannot remember ever hearing the complaint that TMPGE DVD Author doesn't
    work............and Nero 6 does a full 4.7 GB DVD in 6 minutes and 37
    seconds on my burners here.........

    Smarty

    Smarty, Mar 27, 2005

  3. John

    Yibbels Guest

    You could switch to Linux. The writer software is free (like the OS)
    and it works with internal DVD drives for certain; not sure
    about support for external drives, though.

    www.slackware.org

    Yibbels, Mar 27, 2005
  4. John

    Rick Guest

    "Smarty" <> wrote in message
    >I have at least a half dozen authoring programs here, and NONE are as fast
    >as TMPGE DVA. Nero 6 is also the fastest of the burning programs I have,
    >comparing to 4 others I own.
    >
    > Maybe we can help you get them to work. We've had literally thousands of
    > questions on this newsgroup over the last 4 years I've been here, and I
    > cannot remember ever hearing the complaint that TMPGE DVD Author doesn't
    > work............and Nero 6 does a full 4.7 GB DVD in 6 minutes and 37
    > seconds on my burners here.........

    But the problem with TMPG DVD author is that it only allows you to import
    one audio soundtrack and refuses to read in the subtitles. I would have
    thought that any DVD authoring program would simply use exactly the same
    ..VOB files as have already been created and then just allow you to generate
    your own menu systems for them. Instead, Nero wants to re-encode an already
    DVD-compliant .VOB file, and TMPG wants to get rid of all your hard work
    with the audio and subtitles.

    Surely there has to be a better DVD Authoring program out there? Any

    Rick, Mar 27, 2005
  5. John

    Smarty Guest

    Rick,

    The original poster, John, only made one specific complaint about TMPGE DVD
    Author when he stated: "There is a fault with it that Pegasys technical
    support don't seem to be able to fix. The
    output part works but the writing doesn't." He made no mention whatsoever of
    your criticisms of TMPGE DVD Author.

    It is indeed true that this program does not support multiple audio tracks
    nor does it support subtitles.

    I am attempting to help him fix his specific problem.

    Regarding your complaint, I think you may want to take a look at DVD Lab
    Pro. This may be able to do what you want. I have not used it personally, so
    I hesitate to make any promises for it. Others can help you here.

    Maybe a new thread requesting help in finding the right program might be the
    next step...

    Smarty

    Smarty, Mar 27, 2005
  6. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message

    > "Smarty" <> wrote in message
    >>I have at least a half dozen authoring programs here, and NONE are as fast
    >>as TMPGE DVA. Nero 6 is also the fastest of the burning programs I have,
    >>comparing to 4 others I own.
    >>
    >> Maybe we can help you get them to work. We've had literally thousands of
    >> questions on this newsgroup over the last 4 years I've been here, and I
    >> cannot remember ever hearing the complaint that TMPGE DVD Author doesn't
    >> work............and Nero 6 does a full 4.7 GB DVD in 6 minutes and 37
    >> seconds on my burners here.........

    > But the problem with TMPG DVD author is that it only allows you to import
    > one audio soundtrack and refuses to read in the subtitles. I would have
    > thought that any DVD authoring program would simply use exactly the same
    > .VOB files as have already been created and then just allow you to
    > generate your own menu systems for them. Instead, Nero wants to re-encode
    > an already DVD-compliant .VOB file, and TMPG wants to get rid of all your
    > hard work with the audio and subtitles.
    >
    > Surely there has to be a better DVD Authoring program out there? Any

    "Rick", you are changing the issue, but If you want a good author
    program that will do subtitles and more than two audio "tracks" ;
    then you can spend the extra money for DVDLab Pro. TDA
    makes no claim to supporting those features, so it's not a case of
    them not working.

    The part of the OP that raises flags is his seeming inability
    to do what many of us have done countless times. This suggests
    that his problems aren't in the software programs he is finding
    fault with but some other factor. There are plenty of us here
    who are willing to help sort out such problems, but it takes
    some cooperation and a little open mindedness, on the part of
    the guy with the problem. Also, a good deal more information
    about his system. ( for instance TDA's burning app only works
    in XP, and uses the PXHellper) (there are many ways to use
    Nero, some of them are counterproductive, but it can burn great
    DVDs quickly)

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Mar 27, 2005
  7. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Ot: Re: Alternative DVD encoding & writing software

    "Yibbels" <> wrote in message
    > You could switch to Linux. The writer software is free (like the OS)
    > and it works with internal DVD drives for certain; not sure
    > about support for external drives, though.
    >
    > www.slackware.org

    "Slackware"? Is that software for the "Stoned Slacker
    Generation"?

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Mar 27, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    "Yibbels" <> wrote:

    >You could switch to Linux. The writer software is free (like the OS)
    >and it works with internal DVD drives for certain; not sure
    >about support for external drives, though.
    >
    >www.slackware.org

    For someone who's never encountered Linux before, Mandrake may be a
    better distro: <http://www.mandrakesoft.com/>

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 28, 2005
  9. John

    Yibbels Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > For someone who's never encountered Linux before, Mandrake may be a
    > better distro: <http://www.mandrakesoft.com/>

    Slackware is actually pretty easy to install and use.
    I've never had problems with it.

    A few times I've tried installing Redhat. Holy crap,
    what a mess. I've never seen a worse distro. It never
    installs without problems.

    If Mandrake is based on Redhat, I wonder if the Mandrake
    people can really undo Redhat's screw-ups.

    Yibbels, Mar 28, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    "Yibbels" <> wrote:

    >If Mandrake is based on Redhat, I wonder if the Mandrake
    >people can really undo Redhat's screw-ups.

    Mandrake is RPM-based, and apparently forked from an early version of
    Red Hat, but that's about it. It's got a well-integrated GUI-based
    install/update configure system, though of course command-line tools are
    available to those who know how to look for them.

    The January issue of Linux Format magazine compared 15 distros
    head-to-head and rated Mandrake top of the heap. They said that's
    basically the one to suggest whenever anyone new to Linux wants to know
    what's a "good" distro.

    Disclaimer: I mainly use SuSE at the moment. That, too, offers nice
    GUI-based ways of doing most things, though perhaps not as smoothly as
    Mandrake. Linux Format rated it number 3 (with Red Hat at number 2).

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 28, 2005
  11. John

    OldTimer Guest

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:57:02 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    >"Rick" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Smarty" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have at least a half dozen authoring programs here, and NONE are as fast
    >>>as TMPGE DVA. Nero 6 is also the fastest of the burning programs I have,
    >>>comparing to 4 others I own.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe we can help you get them to work. We've had literally thousands of
    >>> questions on this newsgroup over the last 4 years I've been here, and I
    >>> cannot remember ever hearing the complaint that TMPGE DVD Author doesn't
    >>> work............and Nero 6 does a full 4.7 GB DVD in 6 minutes and 37
    >>> seconds on my burners here.........

    >> But the problem with TMPG DVD author is that it only allows you to import
    >> one audio soundtrack and refuses to read in the subtitles. I would have
    >> thought that any DVD authoring program would simply use exactly the same
    >> .VOB files as have already been created and then just allow you to
    >> generate your own menu systems for them. Instead, Nero wants to re-encode
    >> an already DVD-compliant .VOB file, and TMPG wants to get rid of all your
    >> hard work with the audio and subtitles.
    >>
    >> Surely there has to be a better DVD Authoring program out there? Any
    >> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >>

    > "Rick", you are changing the issue, but If you want a good author
    >program that will do subtitles and more than two audio "tracks" ;
    >then you can spend the extra money for DVDLab Pro. TDA
    >makes no claim to supporting those features, so it's not a case of
    >them not working.

    I'll add a second to this suggestion. DVDLab Pro is not only easy to
    use, it is, IMHO, very intuitive. Menu creation is very easy and the
    program gives you lots of options that are easy to learn and use yet
    powerful enough to do a great job.

    As far as burning DVDs is concerned, my personal favorite is Veritas
    RecordNow in one of its versions - I happen to be using the DX version
    which came with my Sony burner. Veritas no longer owns this company
    since Sonic bought them out so it's now Sonic RecordNow but still the
    same good program.

    > The part of the OP that raises flags is his seeming inability
    >to do what many of us have done countless times. This suggests
    >that his problems aren't in the software programs he is finding
    >fault with but some other factor. There are plenty of us here
    >who are willing to help sort out such problems, but it takes
    >some cooperation and a little open mindedness, on the part of
    >the guy with the problem. Also, a good deal more information
    >about his system. ( for instance TDA's burning app only works
    >in XP, and uses the PXHellper) (there are many ways to use
    >Nero, some of them are counterproductive, but it can burn great
    >DVDs quickly)

    Again, I'll second this observation. Many of us have done these very
    things over and over again with little or no problem so my guess is
    that this is some problem other than a software problem.

    OldTimer

    OldTimer, Mar 28, 2005
  12. John

    Darkknight Guest

    i use TMPGENC DVD Author, have had no problems with it, burning works
    like a dream

    Darkknight, Mar 28, 2005
  13. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I have some more info...

    In TMPG DVA I can import video, and chop the video up to the parts I
    want, I can create menus for the video and output it no problem.

    The problem I have is when I try and burn it by bringing up the
    writing tool.

    The error message I get is the following:

    ""The ordinal 3001 could not be located in the dynamic link library
    PX.dll."

    I read in the help files that it said to exit completely, then open
    the project again and then click the writing tool. However I have the
    same message.

    I did try to burn the folders already created/encoded by TMPG DVA
    using Nero6 as Ken suggested. It burned the DVD no problem,
    unfortunately though all the menus I created had disappeared.

    I contacted the Pegasys technical support about the issue and they
    suggested that it may be a conflict with other DVD burning software on
    my computer, and I should uninstall TMPG DVA and all other DVD writing
    software, then just reinstall the TMPG DVA, and it should work.

    I did all this and completely removed all the Nero stuff from my
    system, then reinstalled the TMPG DVA software, but there is still the
    same problem.

    I have emailed back Pegasys but am waiting to see if they reply.

    If you also know of anything that may help, or something overlooked
    that may be the problem that I can try fix I'd welcome suggestions.

    If I could just get around that problem then it would be a brilliant
    piece of software and extremely fast one at encoding too.

    For the encoding of a DVD Nero is taking over 3 hours using Nero
    Vision Express (NVE). With TMPG DVA it took under 15 minutes to do
    the encoding part! That's an amazing difference. If I can just get
    the writing part to work then that would be great.

    John

    John, Mar 29, 2005
  14. John

    Smarty Guest

    Are you using Windows XP?

    Smarty, Mar 29, 2005
  15. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Smarty" <> wrote in message
    > Are you using Windows XP?

    Are you taking bets?
    ----------------------
    John; if the menus disapeared you burnt it as a data disk.

    The following is from the TDA Help files; "Notes on writing
    to DVD media" :

    NERO BURNING ROM

    Run Nero Burning Rom.

    If the Wizard starts up, please close it.

    1. Select DVD-ROM(UDF/ISO)

    2. Click New, and then the label UDF .

    3. Select Physical partition, File system UDF 1.02 and check
    the box "Force DVD-Video compatibility mode (required for
    Xbox TM)"

    4. Drag & drop the two folders (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS)
    from the File browser (right side) to the New compilation (left side).

    5. Click the Write-CD dialog button.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Mar 29, 2005
  16. Yibbels wrote:
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >

    >>For someone who's never encountered Linux before, Mandrake may be a
    >>better distro: <http://www.mandrakesoft.com/>

    > Slackware is actually pretty easy to install and use.
    > I've never had problems with it.
    >
    > A few times I've tried installing Redhat. Holy crap,
    > what a mess. I've never seen a worse distro. It never
    > installs without problems.
    >
    > If Mandrake is based on Redhat, I wonder if the Mandrake
    > people can really undo Redhat's screw-ups.

    I too like Slackware, but I've never had a problem with Red Hat (I'm
    currently typing on a laptop running Fedora Core 3). Everything that
    didn't work out of the box in Fedora (would have been just as
    troublesome on Slack.

    Nicholas Andrade, Mar 29, 2005
  17. In article <>,
    John <> wrote:
    >Hello.
    >
    >I have some more info...

    >In TMPG DVA I can import video, and chop the video up to the parts I
    >want, I can create menus for the video and output it no problem.

    >The problem I have is when I try and burn it by bringing up the
    >writing tool.

    >The error message I get is the following:

    >""The ordinal 3001 could not be located in the dynamic link library
    >PX.dll."

    >I read in the help files that it said to exit completely, then open
    >the project again and then click the writing tool. However I have the
    >same message.

    >I did try to burn the folders already created/encoded by TMPG DVA
    >using Nero6 as Ken suggested. It burned the DVD no problem,
    >unfortunately though all the menus I created had disappeared.

    >I contacted the Pegasys technical support about the issue and they
    >suggested that it may be a conflict with other DVD burning software on
    >my computer, and I should uninstall TMPG DVA and all other DVD writing
    >software, then just reinstall the TMPG DVA, and it should work.

    >I did all this and completely removed all the Nero stuff from my
    >system, then reinstalled the TMPG DVA software, but there is still the
    >same problem.

    I suspect it is something else. I have TMPGenc, TDA, Nero and
    Roxio. [I got Roxio first and had problems and after a couple of
    days with no response from Roxio I bought Nero]

    I have no problems like yours. The only problem I had was when one
    of the brands I used changed manufacturers, and I was getting
    errors at 8X in TDA, so I dropped it down to 4x.

    So I if you include DVDDecryptor, that means I have four separate
    writing tools.

    >I have emailed back Pegasys but am waiting to see if they reply.

    >If you also know of anything that may help, or something overlooked
    >that may be the problem that I can try fix I'd welcome suggestions.

    >If I could just get around that problem then it would be a brilliant
    >piece of software and extremely fast one at encoding too.

    >For the encoding of a DVD Nero is taking over 3 hours using Nero
    >Vision Express (NVE). With TMPG DVA it took under 15 minutes to do
    >the encoding part! That's an amazing difference. If I can just get
    >the writing part to work then that would be great.

    The TDA is just taking the already encoded video and putting it
    in a format you need to create a DVD. I suspect your Nero is
    re-encoding the data - which you really don't want. That question
    has come up before in this NG, but I don't recall the place in Nero
    where you change that.

    I suspect you have some problem not related to Nero to Pegasys's
    software. Maybe the base MS has a problem.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Mar 29, 2005
  18. John

    Alpha Guest

    "Bill Vermillion" <> wrote in message news:...
    > In article <>,
    > John <> wrote:
    >>Hello.
    >>
    >>I have some more info...

    >>In TMPG DVA I can import video, and chop the video up to the parts I
    >>want, I can create menus for the video and output it no problem.

    >>The problem I have is when I try and burn it by bringing up the
    >>writing tool.

    >>The error message I get is the following:

    >>""The ordinal 3001 could not be located in the dynamic link library
    >>PX.dll."

    >>I read in the help files that it said to exit completely, then open
    >>the project again and then click the writing tool. However I have the
    >>same message.

    >>I did try to burn the folders already created/encoded by TMPG DVA
    >>using Nero6 as Ken suggested. It burned the DVD no problem,
    >>unfortunately though all the menus I created had disappeared.

    >>I contacted the Pegasys technical support about the issue and they
    >>suggested that it may be a conflict with other DVD burning software on
    >>my computer, and I should uninstall TMPG DVA and all other DVD writing
    >>software, then just reinstall the TMPG DVA, and it should work.

    >>I did all this and completely removed all the Nero stuff from my
    >>system, then reinstalled the TMPG DVA software, but there is still the
    >>same problem.

    > I suspect it is something else. I have TMPGenc, TDA, Nero and
    > Roxio. [I got Roxio first and had problems and after a couple of
    > days with no response from Roxio I bought Nero]
    >
    > I have no problems like yours. The only problem I had was when one
    > of the brands I used changed manufacturers, and I was getting
    > errors at 8X in TDA, so I dropped it down to 4x.
    >
    > So I if you include DVDDecryptor, that means I have four separate
    > writing tools.
    >
    >>I have emailed back Pegasys but am waiting to see if they reply.

    >>If you also know of anything that may help, or something overlooked
    >>that may be the problem that I can try fix I'd welcome suggestions.

    >>If I could just get around that problem then it would be a brilliant
    >>piece of software and extremely fast one at encoding too.

    >>For the encoding of a DVD Nero is taking over 3 hours using Nero
    >>Vision Express (NVE). With TMPG DVA it took under 15 minutes to do
    >>the encoding part! That's an amazing difference. If I can just get
    >>the writing part to work then that would be great.

    > The TDA is just taking the already encoded video and putting it
    > in a format you need to create a DVD.

    >I suspect your Nero is
    > re-encoding the data - which you really don't want.

    Nero ALWAYS encodes. It's first step, in fact, is to structure separate
    video and audio streams.

    Alpha, Mar 29, 2005
  19. John

    me Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I just wondered if anyone can recommend any alternative software for
    > writing DVDs to Nero 6 and TMPG DVD Author?
    >
    > Nero 6 is too slow, and TMPG doesn't work. There is a fault with it
    > that Pegasys technical support don't seem to be able to fix. The
    > output part works but the writing doesn't.
    >
    > Even if I just to the output in TMPG and then write with Nero, all I
    > get is the video, I don't have any menus unfortunately.
    >
    > I am looking for something similar to TMPG DVA that is fast at
    > encoding.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    John,I sometimes get writing errors when using TMPG DVDA's burning tool to
    burn the folders it created.So i now make a disc image from those folders
    using IMG Tool Classic, then burn the disc image with DVD Decrypter,and it
    works great.

    me, Mar 29, 2005
  20. On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:47:32 -0600, Ken Maltby
    <> wrote:

    >>> I did try to burn the folders already created/encoded by TMPG DVA
    >>> using Nero6 as Ken suggested. It burned the DVD no problem,
    >>> unfortunately though all the menus I created had disappeared.
    >>>
    >>> If you also know of anything that may help, or something overlooked
    >>> that may be the problem that I can try fix I'd welcome suggestions.

    > "Smarty" <> wrote in message
    >> Are you using Windows XP?

    > Are you taking bets?
    > ----------------------
    > John; if the menus disapeared you burnt it as a data disk.
    >
    > The following is from the TDA Help files; "Notes on writing
    > to DVD media" :
    >
    > NERO BURNING ROM
    >
    > Run Nero Burning Rom.

    Unfortunately Nero V6 makes it harder to find the part you need.

    I'm not at home with access to my media PC at the moment, but from
    memory:

    Ignore NeroVision Express if you have it.
    Ignore anything like "Startup Wizard".
    Look for the most basic version of Nero under Start / Programs / Nero.

    > 1. Select DVD-ROM(UDF/ISO)
    >
    > 2. Click New, and then the label UDF .

    Mine didn't have those. It did have something like "Burn DVD from
    directory", which worked. It was, as I recall, the bottom option on the
    right hand side of the window.

    I'll look when I get back home for exact details...

    Chris C

    Chris Croughton, Mar 29, 2005