    limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
    and uwarranted views ?

    Preferably it should be a monitored group.
    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, May 13, 2010

  2. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Donchano Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2010 20:28:29 +1200,
    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >Is there another NZ based general computer newsgroup that is free of
    >the boring, adolescent, petty bickering, low grade promotion of
    >supposedly competing or substitutable operating systems where a
    >limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
    >and uwarranted views ?
    >
    >Preferably it should be a monitored group.

    Short answer: I don't know.

    Longer answer: Upgrade to Agent 6. Despite the stupid, childish and
    self-indulgent posts, you can filter most - if not all - of the trolls
    and nutcases out by using Agent 6 and, if necessary, NewsProxy.
    Donchano, May 13, 2010

  3. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    peterwn Guest

    On May 13, 8:28 pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
    <> wrote:

    > Preferably it should be a monitored group.

    By Larry or Impossible?
    peterwn, May 13, 2010
  4. Hear! hear! Surely they've got to grow up SOMETIME?
    I suppose there are forums where 13 yr-old petrol heads argue ad nauseam
    about whether cars should have red steering wheels or blue. Or is it
    just computers that bring out the inner moron in overinflated egos?

    zzzzzzzummmmm, May 13, 2010
  5. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > Is there another NZ based general computer newsgroup that is free of
    > the boring, adolescent, petty bickering, low grade promotion of
    > supposedly competing or substitutable operating systems where a
    > limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
    > and uwarranted views ?
    >
    > Preferably it should be a monitored group.

    Not to my knowledge, and I doubt anyone would willing take on the (unpaid)
    job of monitoring such a group. Too big an area of grey...

    I find that with lots of killfile use and marking threads as read I usually
    get to read the ~3 posts a month that are of interest and on topic here.
    However, due to the zealots and fanboys I don't check here as often as I
    used to so often any advice I could give is a bit later than optimal.

    Shame, this used to be a good group, I learned a lot here. If only the
    people who should know better would stop replying to the trolls things would
    be better....
    --
    Shaun.

    "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson.
    ~misfit~, May 13, 2010
  6. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    victor Guest

    On 14/05/2010 9:36 a.m., zzzzzzzummmmm wrote:

    > On 13/05/2010 8:28 p.m., Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >> Is there another NZ based general computer newsgroup that is free of
    >> the boring, adolescent, petty bickering, low grade promotion of
    >> supposedly competing or substitutable operating systems where a
    >> limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
    >> and uwarranted views ?
    >>
    >> Preferably it should be a monitored group.
    >>

    > Hear! hear! Surely they've got to grow up SOMETIME?
    > I suppose there are forums where 13 yr-old petrol heads argue ad nauseam
    > about whether cars should have red steering wheels or blue. Or is it
    > just computers that bring out the inner moron in overinflated egos?

    If you don't post then don't complain.
    The best way to change it is to post.
    victor, May 14, 2010
  7. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Gib Bogle Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > Yes, I remember the days when you could spend a lovely evening in
    > nz.comp browsing through ~misfit's testimonials about the hand-me-down
    > hardware he'd just acquired, sure to be the absolutely best
    > cpu/drive/video card ever made, never to be surpassed in providing
    > exactly what was needed -- and no more, by George! That was so much
    > more interesting. I particularly enjoyed being treated to the most
    > sordid details of ~misfit's miserable life at every turn! It was
    > absolutely superb newgroup entertainment-- albeit better suited for
    > alt.binaries.youvgottobekiddingme -- but there you have it, the good old
    > days. Isn't that right, ~misfit? Thank you for sharing. But please,
    > don't ever do it again. It almost makes posts by Larry D'Loser seem
    > intelligent by comparison.

    What happened to you to make you like this?
    Gib Bogle, May 14, 2010
  8. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    AD. Guest

    On May 14, 5:25 pm, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > impossible wrote:
    > > Isn't that right, ~misfit? Thank you for sharing. But please,
    > > don't ever do it again. It almost makes posts by Larry D'Loser seem
    > > intelligent by comparison.

    > What happened to you to make you like this?

    Larry cheated on her, and to top it all off Linus Torvalds ran over
    her dog.

    Becoming a country singer would've been more constructive way of
    dealing with it, but her voice was too whiney even for that.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., May 14, 2010
  9. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote in

    > Is there another NZ based general computer newsgroup that is free of
    > the boring, adolescent, petty bickering, low grade promotion of
    > supposedly competing or substitutable operating systems where a
    > limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
    > and uwarranted views ?

    Not NZ based though

    > Preferably it should be a monitored group.

    It is Moderated.

    http://forums.novell.com/novell-community-forums-stuff/community-chat/
    http://nscsysop.hypermart.net/nntp.html
    http://www.ncci.org/

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 14, 2010
  10. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    peterwn Guest

    On May 14, 3:38 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "Crash" <> wrote in message

    > > On Fri, 14 May 2010 09:36:56 +1200, zzzzzzzummmmm
    > > <> wrote:

    > >>Hear! hear! Surely they've got to grow up SOMETIME?
    > >>I suppose there are forums where 13 yr-old petrol heads argue ad nauseam
    > >>about whether cars should have red steering wheels or blue. Or is it
    > >>just computers that bring out the inner moron in overinflated egos?

    > > 'Monitored'?  Moderated is perhaps what you meant.  If so who would
    > > take on moderating an open ng?
    > > --

    > I'll do it. From now on, no more boring, adolescent,  petty bickering
    > allowed. Also, no low grade promotion of operating systems.  All such posts
    > will be duly flagged as inappropriate. Only serious bickjering will be
    > tolerated -- that, and high-grade promotion of operating systems, defined
    > for ever after as those promotions that encourage an infinite number of
    > readers to air their unwanted views. This is usenet, after all, and if you
    > don't' have the decency to stimulate a pointless discussion then please go
    > putter around in the garden where you belong.

    In which case the group would need to be renamed nz.comp.microsoft
    peterwn, May 14, 2010
  11. impossible <> wrote:

    > "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 14 May 2010 09:36:56 +1200, zzzzzzzummmmm
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hear! hear! Surely they've got to grow up SOMETIME?
    >>>I suppose there are forums where 13 yr-old petrol heads argue ad nauseam
    >>>about whether cars should have red steering wheels or blue. Or is it
    >>>just computers that bring out the inner moron in overinflated egos?

    >> 'Monitored'? Moderated is perhaps what you meant. If so who would
    >> take on moderating an open ng?
    >> --

    > I'll do it. From now on, no more boring, adolescent, petty bickering
    > allowed. Also, no low grade promotion of operating systems. All such posts
    > will be duly flagged as inappropriate. Only serious bickjering will be
    > tolerated -- that, and high-grade promotion of operating systems, defined
    > for ever after as those promotions that encourage an infinite number of
    > readers to air their unwanted views. This is usenet, after all, and if you
    > don't' have the decency to stimulate a pointless discussion then please go
    > putter around in the garden where you belong.

    Please go and fly a kite. Then when you tire of that, play trains.

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, May 14, 2010
  12. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    <> wrote:
    > Is there another NZ based general computer newsgroup that is free of
    > the boring, adolescent, petty bickering, low grade promotion of
    > supposedly competing or substitutable operating systems where a
    > limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
    > and uwarranted views ?
    >
    > Preferably it should be a monitored group.

    You can create one via Yahoo, Google or Facebook, or presumably even
    MSN.
    peterwn, May 14, 2010
  13. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, I remember the days when you could spend a lovely evening in
    >> nz.comp browsing through ~misfit's testimonials about the
    >> hand-me-down hardware he'd just acquired, sure to be the absolutely
    >> best cpu/drive/video card ever made, never to be surpassed in
    >> providing exactly what was needed -- and no more, by George! That
    >> was so much more interesting. I particularly enjoyed being treated
    >> to the most sordid details of ~misfit's miserable life at every
    >> turn! It was absolutely superb newgroup entertainment-- albeit
    >> better suited for alt.binaries.youvgottobekiddingme -- but there you
    >> have it, the good old days. Isn't that right, ~misfit? Thank you for
    >> sharing. But please, don't ever do it again. It almost makes posts
    >> by Larry D'Loser seem intelligent by comparison.

    LOL, that's 'impossible' for you, taking a swipe at me knowing full well
    that she's (?) in my killfile[1]. That action alone speaks volumes about
    her.

    > What happened to you to make you like this?

    Ultimately it's not really important *what* made impossible like this. I
    mean, the above pussy attack on me, that there was little chance I would
    see, illustrates a deeply aberrant personality, a thing to be pitied rather
    than ridiculed. However, when a person so afflicted spends most of their
    life deliberately trying to ruin other people's 'fun' (as in polluting this
    newsgroup) it does give an insight into the reasons behind the behaviour as
    well as making it difficult to *not* ridicule or get into a shit-slinging
    match.

    One of the things about teh intarwebs is that it keeps sick people like
    impossible off the streets where they could do real damage. I suppose that's
    a good thing for the world in general but a bad thing for nz.comp. I suggest
    that people take comfort in that fact.

    [1] I'll bet dollars to dog-shit that impossible isn't female as it often
    claims. When you read enough posts by a person it becomes fairly easy to be
    sure of their gender. It's just a weasely attempt to hide behind a reticence
    on the part of males to attack a female. This is one very sick and pathetic
    puppy. Unfortunately for impossible Karma will balance the books sooner or
    later. Until then killfiles work quite well.

    ~misfit~, May 14, 2010
  14. I take the point of using Ignore Thread as an option to limited
    the intrusion of the unwanted.

    I suggest this tread not cease.
    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, May 14, 2010
  15. Re: Alternative Comp.nz general OOPs

    I suggest this tread now ceases.
    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, May 14, 2010
  16. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    imposterbull Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message
    news: ...

    > Only serious bickjering will be tolerated -- that, and high-grade
    > promotion of operating systems, defined for ever after as those
    > promotions that encourage an infinite number of readers to air their
    > unwanted views. This is usenet, after all, and if you don't' have the
    > decency to stimulate a pointless discussion then please go putter around
    > in the garden where you belong.

    Translation = "I am a troll. I have no life beyond trolling."
    imposterbull, May 14, 2010
  17. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    peterwn Guest

    Re: Alternative Comp.nz general OOPs

    On May 14, 9:02 pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
    <> wrote:
    > I suggest this tread now ceases.

    Sorry, mate - it is not your choice. The Sorcerer's apprentice could
    not stop the broomsticks from delivering the water. Same here, othr
    contributors can keep it going as long as they want to.
    peterwn, May 14, 2010
  18. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    bugalugs Guest

    On 14/05/2010 11:40 p.m., impossible wrote:

    > "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes, I remember the days when you could spend a lovely evening in
    >>> nz.comp browsing through ~misfit's testimonials about the
    >>> hand-me-down hardware he'd just acquired, sure to be the absolutely
    >>> best cpu/drive/video card ever made, never to be surpassed in
    >>> providing exactly what was needed -- and no more, by George! That was
    >>> so much more interesting. I particularly enjoyed being treated to the
    >>> most sordid details of ~misfit's miserable life at every turn! It was
    >>> absolutely superb newgroup entertainment-- albeit better suited for
    >>> alt.binaries.youvgottobekiddingme -- but there you have it, the good
    >>> old days. Isn't that right, ~misfit? Thank you for sharing. But
    >>> please, don't ever do it again. It almost makes posts by Larry
    >>> D'Loser seem intelligent by comparison.

    >> What happened to you to make you like this?

    > Insightful, you mean? It's a gift.

    Give it back
    bugalugs, May 14, 2010
  19. In article <>, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote:
    >Is there another NZ based general computer newsgroup that is free of
    >the boring, adolescent, petty bickering, low grade promotion of
    >supposedly competing or substitutable operating systems where a
    >limited number of readers cannot resist the urge to air their unwanted
    >and uwarranted views ?
    >
    >Preferably it should be a monitored group.

    Filters and killfiles are your friend here. Sounds to me like you aren't yet
    using them ... or possibly not to their full potential. They do make for a
    better news group experience. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 17, 2010
  20. In article <>, peterwn <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> I'll do it. From now on, no more boring, adolescent, =A0petty bickering
    >> allowed. Also, no low grade promotion of operating systems. =A0All such p=

    >osts
    >> will be duly flagged as inappropriate. Only serious bickjering will be
    >> tolerated -- that, and high-grade promotion of operating systems, defined
    >> for ever after as those promotions that encourage an infinite number of
    >> readers to air their unwanted views. This is usenet, after all, and if yo=

    >> don't' have the decency to stimulate a pointless discussion then please g=

    >> putter around in the garden where you belong.

    >In which case the group would need to be renamed nz.comp.microsoft

    <chortle> ... except MS are shutting down their newsgroup servers
    apparently. They suggest "forums" as the alternative. <chortle>
    Bruce Sinclair, May 17, 2010