Alternative browsers.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lennier, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. Lennier

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 00:00:23 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:

    > Would be nice to have a 100% IE compatable tabed browser
    > (Firebird Mozilla arnt 100% IE compable) Im worried that most of the
    > alternative's are full of spyware or will just make changes to IE that
    > cant be reversed or uninstalled.

    LOL - if you want "IE compatible" then why don't you simply stick to using
    M$IE?

    If you want better software, then I recommend Mozilla - and don't worry
    about compatibility with microsoft/defective software.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Lennier

    Athura Guest

    I like Opera.
    Athura, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Lennier

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 00:00:23 GMT, Steve Robertson wrote:

    > (Firebird Mozilla arnt 100% IE compable)

    Thats because firebird is compatible with the standards for html etc (see
    http://www.w3.org/) and IE is not.
    -[Myth]-, Dec 26, 2003
  4. Lennier

    @(none) Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 00:00:23 GMT, Steve Robertson wrote:
    >

    >>(Firebird Mozilla arnt 100% IE compable)

    > Thats because firebird is compatible with the standards for html etc (see
    > http://www.w3.org/) and IE is not.

    Theres one called MyIE or something
    http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm
    havnt used it myself
    @(none), Dec 27, 2003
  5. Hi. Anyone tried some of the alternative browers (apart from Firebird Mozilla etc)
    Would be nice to have a 100% IE compatable tabed browser (Firebird Mozilla arnt 100% IE compable)
    Im worried that most of the alternative's are full of spyware or will just make changes to IE that
    cant be reversed or uninstalled.
    Im going to try SlimBrowser & Avant, any other recommendations?
    Steve Robertson, Dec 27, 2003
  6. Lennier

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:15:12 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 00:00:23 GMT, Steve Robertson wrote:
    >

    >> (Firebird Mozilla arnt 100% IE compable)

    >Thats because firebird is compatible with the standards for html etc (see
    >http://www.w3.org/) and IE is not.

    SO what? It just means that he can't view the pages that he wants
    view.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.
    Enkidu, Dec 27, 2003
  7. Lennier

    Gurble Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi. Anyone tried some of the alternative browers (apart from Firebird Mozilla etc)
    >Would be nice to have a 100% IE compatable tabed browser (Firebird Mozilla arnt 100% IE compable)
    >Im worried that most of the alternative's are full of spyware or will just make changes to IE that
    >cant be reversed or uninstalled.
    >Im going to try SlimBrowser & Avant, any other recommendations?

    Opera is, IMHO, the absolute best.

    Not completely 100% compatible, but that's a fault wih the sites
    rather than the software (there are standards, you know....)

    An excellent browser, with a surprising number of features. Nice and
    light, and make sure you take the time to learn mouse gestures -
    you'll never go back to a stone-age browser like IE again.

    The only site that I've found in recent times that plays up a little
    is www.philips.co.nz, and then it's only the top navigations.

    2c
    Gurble, Dec 27, 2003
  8. Lennier

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 13:08:35 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > SO what? It just means that he can't view the pages that he wants view.

    It has been my experience that the only websites that I cannot fully view
    and use via Mozilla have been the ones created and used by Micro$oft.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 27, 2003
  9. Lennier

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Steve Robertson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. Anyone tried some of the alternative browers (apart from Firebird

    Mozilla etc)
    > Would be nice to have a 100% IE compatable tabed browser (Firebird Mozilla

    arnt 100% IE compable)
    > Im worried that most of the alternative's are full of spyware or will just

    make changes to IE that
    > cant be reversed or uninstalled.
    > Im going to try SlimBrowser & Avant, any other recommendations?

    A good one that's very similar to IE and has some good features is MyIE2.
    When it comes to using multiple websites it's better than IE.

    http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 27, 2003
  10. Lennier

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    >>Would be nice to have a 100% IE compatable tabed browser
    >>(Firebird Mozilla arnt 100% IE compable) Im worried that most of the
    >>alternative's are full of spyware or will just make changes to IE that
    >>cant be reversed or uninstalled.

    > LOL - if you want "IE compatible" then why don't you simply stick to using
    > M$IE?
    > If you want better software, then I recommend Mozilla - and don't worry
    > about compatibility with microsoft/defective software.

    Dear god, first I compliment Lennier, and now I agree with him over
    browser choice.

    Mozilla is great(especially Firebird).
    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  11. Lennier

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  12. Lennier

    T.N.O. Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > A good one that's very similar to IE and has some good features is MyIE2.
    > When it comes to using multiple websites it's better than IE.
    > http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

    but it is IE... it just sits ontop of the built in HTML rendering system
    in IE.
    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  13. Lennier

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > > A good one that's very similar to IE and has some good features is

    MyIE2.
    > > When it comes to using multiple websites it's better than IE.
    > > http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

    > but it is IE... it just sits ontop of the built in HTML rendering system
    > in IE.

    It's a differnet version that's based on it. It uses IE options as well as
    it's own set of options. It has features that IE doesn't.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 27, 2003
  14. Lennier

    Peter Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    > Hi. Anyone tried some of the alternative browers (apart from Firebird
    > Mozilla etc) Would be nice to have a 100% IE compatable tabed browser
    > (Firebird Mozilla arnt 100% IE compable) Im worried that most of the
    > alternative's are full of spyware or will just make changes to IE that
    > cant be reversed or uninstalled. Im going to try SlimBrowser & Avant, any
    > other recommendations?

    Most modern browsers are way better than IE because
    - better security
    - get rid of pop ups
    - tabbed browsing

    You could try Mozilla and Opera. (I prefer Mozilla.)

    The problem with compatibility is that IE is not standards compliant. If
    you must have 100% IE compatible, then you are stuck with IE (or IE plus
    addons). In my experience, this is neither necessary nor desirable.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Dec 27, 2003
  15. Hi there,

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    > Hi. Anyone tried some of the alternative browers (apart from Firebird Mozilla etc)
    > Would be nice to have a 100% IE compatable tabed browser (Firebird Mozilla arnt 100% IE compable)
    > Im worried that most of the alternative's are full of spyware or will just make changes to IE that
    > cant be reversed or uninstalled.

    If you need IE compatibility stick to IE. IE is its own standard, and as
    such html generated with IE-centric code will not parse the same on any
    of the alternatives, since they adhere to W3C consortium standards more
    rigidly than IE. Spyware isn't as prevalent with the alternatives, as
    security loopholes are in IE...

    Netscape 7.1 is my choice. Its pop-up blocker and junk feature work well
    for me, plus its more or less integrated browsing and mail/news all in
    one package...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 27, 2003
  16. Hi there,

    Gurble wrote:

    > The only site that I've found in recent times that plays up a little
    > is www.philips.co.nz, and then it's only the top navigations.

    Netscape 7.1 has the same trouble with that site. I looked quickly
    at the Javascripting that generates the pop-up menus, and it may be
    putting a 1-pixel wide gap between the menu title and the menu that
    pops up, so when you try to move the pointer over that gap the focus
    on the object is lost and the menu vanishes. If IE views the page OK
    it might be because it handles JavaScript mouse-over/out/click events
    slightly differently than the alternatives...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 27, 2003
  17. Lennier

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:19:44 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > Dear god, first I compliment Lennier, and now I agree with him over
    > browser choice.

    Egad!

    This shouldn't be happening!!!!!

    Quick - help him...

    ;o))

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 27, 2003
  18. Lennier

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Hi. Anyone tried some of the alternative browers (apart from Firebird Mozilla etc)
    > Would be nice to have a 100% IE compatable tabed browser (Firebird Mozilla arnt 100% IE compable)

    I don't give a rats ass about "IE Compatibility", so far the only site I
    have struck that does not like Mozilla is microsoft.com

    Who gives a **** whether it is "IE Compatible"? We have HTML standards,
    if it meets HTML4.01 then it is more than enough.

    Mainlander, Dec 27, 2003
  19. Lennier

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:15:12 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 00:00:23 GMT, Steve Robertson wrote:
    > >

    > >> (Firebird Mozilla arnt 100% IE compable)

    > >Thats because firebird is compatible with the standards for html etc (see
    > >http://www.w3.org/) and IE is not.
    > >

    > SO what? It just means that he can't view the pages that he wants
    > view.

    So what? Well, people should not be forced to use a particular browser to
    view web sites.

    Mainlander, Dec 27, 2003
  20. Lennier

    T.N.O. Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>>When it comes to using multiple websites it's better than IE.
    >>>http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

    >>but it is IE... it just sits ontop of the built in HTML rendering system
    >>in IE.

    > It's a differnet version that's based on it. It uses IE options as well as
    > it's own set of options. It has features that IE doesn't.

    Much like incredimail is OE, just a different front end, but the back
    end code is still the same.

    They don't seem to have mentioned why they want to change browsers...
    this sort of thing could have made suggestions a lot more relevant.
    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003