Alternaltives to an incompetent Orcon web service?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by mark, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. mark

    mark Guest

    I'm wanting to put up a few web pages and am an Orcon customer, but on
    following their instructions found I couldn't log in to my "free 10MB web
    space".

    After a phone call it turns out they haven't been able to add people for
    FOUR MONTHS. Now that strikes me as grossly incompetent - an ISP that can't
    even support a web server. I suppose I shouldn't be suprised considering
    they don't seem to know how to run a Usenet feed either.

    However, disgust aside, this leaves me in a bind. Are there any free (and
    advertising bannerless) web services available elsewhere in New Zealand? I
    only need a few megabytes.

    Cheers,
    Mark

    --
    ---

    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
    Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?

    mark, Apr 1, 2005

  2. mark

    EMB Guest

    mark wrote:
    > I'm wanting to put up a few web pages and am an Orcon customer, but on
    > following their instructions found I couldn't log in to my "free 10MB web
    > space".
    >
    > After a phone call it turns out they haven't been able to add people for
    > FOUR MONTHS. Now that strikes me as grossly incompetent - an ISP that can't
    > even support a web server. I suppose I shouldn't be suprised considering
    > they don't seem to know how to run a Usenet feed either.
    >
    > However, disgust aside, this leaves me in a bind. Are there any free (and
    > advertising bannerless) web services available elsewhere in New Zealand? I
    > only need a few megabytes.

    Move to ihug - their newsfeed is ok and they give you 10MB of webspace.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Apr 1, 2005

  3. mark

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 01:36:06 +0000, mark wrote:

    > However, disgust aside, this leaves me in a bind. Are there any free (and
    > advertising bannerless) web services available elsewhere in New Zealand? I
    > only need a few megabytes.

    Go on bite the bullet, and pay a small amount. Get into paying a web
    hoster, that keeps them on their toes, after all that is what you pay them
    to do.

    In my view the "Internet" is now at the stage where one pays for each
    service, or is fast approaching it. As in, Connection, Web Hosting,
    USENET, etc.

    The Internet, like life on this planet has developed, and is still doing
    so. Stand by for when your supermarket offers a connection to the Internet
    and beyond. After all who thought that a Bank and petrol would be offered
    for sale by them?
    Gordon, Apr 1, 2005
  4. mark

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:18:40 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > mark wrote:
    >> I'm wanting to put up a few web pages and am an Orcon customer, but on
    >> following their instructions found I couldn't log in to my "free 10MB web
    >> space".
    >>
    >> After a phone call it turns out they haven't been able to add people for
    >> FOUR MONTHS. Now that strikes me as grossly incompetent - an ISP that can't
    >> even support a web server. I suppose I shouldn't be suprised considering
    >> they don't seem to know how to run a Usenet feed either.
    >>
    >> However, disgust aside, this leaves me in a bind. Are there any free (and
    >> advertising bannerless) web services available elsewhere in New Zealand? I
    >> only need a few megabytes.

    > Move to ihug - their newsfeed is ok and they give you 10MB of webspace.

    So do OrCon, according to mark. The problem is that he can *not* use it,
    for the near/forseeable future.
    Gordon, Apr 1, 2005
  5. mark

    rupert Guest

    try news.wplus.net

    rupert, Apr 1, 2005
  6. In article <d2k648$ecd$>, "rupert" <>
    wrote:

    >try news.wplus.net
    >
    >"mark" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
    >> Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?
    >>
    >> http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    Ironic, isn't it...
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2005
  7. mark

    Gordy Guest

    I pay Orcon (49.95/mo) for all the services you are talking about.
    BUT I don't get all of them.

    My expectation from Orcon

    Connection
    Mail
    Spam filtering
    Newsgroups
    Free Web Hosting

    Gordy, Apr 2, 2005
  8. mark

    Gordy Guest

    When following a thread I don't want to wade through all the history
    on each posted item. Top post for me.

    Gordy, Apr 2, 2005