    newsgroups to help prevent
    spam. I apologise if this is the wrong newsgroup.

    AL
    Alan, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Alan

    George Guest

    For OE:
    Tools->Accounts->News (or Email as you wish)->General and put whatever you
    wish.

    If you're using some other mail/newsreader, you'd have to specify what
    you're using but Outlook Express seems to be the most common one here. Most
    people keep the email address for newsgroups reasonably close to their real
    addresses, maybe adding a word into it, and tell people in their signature
    what word to drop to email them.

    George, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Alan

    Thor Guest

    Sure. You can use a fake email address, or you can "munge" your address by
    adding characters, words, numbers etc, that will make the address invalid if
    used as displayed. For example, if your real address is
    you could munge it to read , and simply put a
    signature in your posts to instruct people to remove the "1234nospam"
    portion to get your correct email address. In Outlook Express, go to tools,
    then "accounts", then open your newsgroup account properties, and in the
    "general" tab, set your email address to display what you wish. Go to tools,
    then "options", then under the signature tab, create a signature and put in
    the instructions to fix your address.

    Thor, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Alan

    Chet Guest

    In Outlook Express:
    TOOLS/ACCOUNTS/NEWS/PROPERTIES

    Chet, Feb 18, 2004
  5. On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:26:25 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >Sure. You can use a fake email address, or you can "munge" your address by
    >adding characters, words, numbers etc, that will make the address invalid if
    >used as displayed. For example, if your real address is
    >you could munge it to read , and simply put a
    >signature in your posts to instruct people to remove the "1234nospam"
    >portion to get your correct email address. In Outlook Express, go to tools,
    >then "accounts", then open your newsgroup account properties, and in the
    >"general" tab, set your email address to display what you wish. Go to tools,
    >then "options", then under the signature tab, create a signature and put in
    >the instructions to fix your address.

    It's better to munge the domain, rather than your name. Otherwise your
    ISP is still inundated with junk. In other words, change
    to something like:

    BB

    BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Alan

    Thor Guest

    > It's better to munge the domain, rather than your name. Otherwise your
    > ISP is still inundated with junk. In other words, change
    > to something like:

    Good point.
    Thor, Feb 18, 2004
  7. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Thanks for the advice, hoping this works.

    AL

    --
    To reply, remove: REMOVEME from email address.

    Alan, Feb 18, 2004
  8. Alan

    George Guest

    Looks fine...

    George, Feb 18, 2004
  9. "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the advice, hoping this works.
    >
    > AL

    Only bad thing is they already have your good address now, so the SPAM never
    stops. I get around 150 SPAM mails a day.

    The Ancient One, Feb 18, 2004
  10. Alan

    George Guest

    It doesn't really matter that they've already got his email address...for
    the most part people use real names and real words and spammers use programs
    to generate email addresses hoping for "hits". The best way to avoid this
    is to use arcane email addresses, like Of course, if
    you hope your friends can remember your email address, you'll need to come
    up with something else, possibly using misspelled words and letters and
    numbers to make "words" (gr8 idea, 42nit eye menshunned it). Also, spammers
    don't often try to generate long email addresses like

    (they probably will in the future, but for right now, each extra character
    generates at least 36x more email addresses for them to try to get a hit).

    Another neat scheme for cutting down on spam is done by mailblocks.com (they
    require each new sender to respond to an email and enter text that appears
    in a graphic file in order for that senders email to be moved to an inbox
    instead of a suspected spam file. They also let you have disposable aliases
    for your email address (which can be very useful in tracking WHERE spammers
    are getting your email address).

    Good luck.

    George, Feb 20, 2004