    Hi All

    Is anybody out there using one of these and if so are they any good?

    Cheers Paul
    Paul, Jul 5, 2006

  2. Re: ALTech MediaGate MG-35 Multimedia 3.5" IDE Hard Disk Drive Enclosure?

    Paul wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Is anybody out there using one of these and if so are they any good?
    >
    > Cheers Paul

    They look good and i want one..... However i want the one that can
    output at HD (720p) which i dont see advertised here in NZ, Ascent have
    the other ones though. I have a friend with one and he is quite happy
    with it
    Andrew Lambert, Jul 5, 2006

  3. Paul

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> Is anybody out there using one of these and if so are they any good?
    >>
    >> Cheers Paul
    >>

    > They look good and i want one..... However i want the one that can
    > output at HD (720p) which i dont see advertised here in NZ, Ascent have
    > the other ones though. I have a friend with one and he is quite happy
    > with it

    Doesn't the Modix HD-3510
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=336903

    support 720p, for around the same price?

    IMHO the biggest problem with these devices is that they are effectively
    isolated - no LAN connectivity, no USB host capability. Means you
    couldn't even use one as an image tank with your digital camera when
    travelling.

    Makes the MG-350HD infinitely more attractive with wifi, USB host, HD etc
    -=rjh=-, Jul 6, 2006
  4. Paul

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >> Paul wrote:
    >>> Hi All
    >>>
    >>> Is anybody out there using one of these and if so are they any good?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers Paul
    >>>

    >> They look good and i want one..... However i want the one that can
    >> output at HD (720p) which i dont see advertised here in NZ, Ascent
    >> have the other ones though. I have a friend with one and he is quite
    >> happy with it

    > Doesn't the Modix HD-3510
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=336903
    >
    > support 720p, for around the same price?
    >
    > IMHO the biggest problem with these devices is that they are effectively
    > isolated - no LAN connectivity,

    Doh!

    Correction - although the Ascent website

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=9339051

    doesn't list it in the specs for the MG-35, it does have ethernet, and
    even better - it seems you don't even need to install a hard drive into
    it; ie, you can use it as a media player and access your data stored
    elsewhere on the network. It seems you can even upgrade the firmware to
    use it as a NAS device.

    http://www.airlinktek.com/english/prod_mg35.htm#spec

    =======================

    More info on the MG-350HD (with HD, wifi and USB host capability) - it
    isn't available until August, from

    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?SCID=&CIID=36918 a post from the
    ditributor to Australia and NZ:

    "I work for Anyware Computer Accessories, the distributor of the
    Mediagate MG35, MG25 and the new MG350HD in Australia and NZ. I can see
    that some of you are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the wireless
    Mediagate. I would like to confirm with you all that we are expecting
    stock of the new wireless Mediagate to arrive in Australia in early
    August. The product will be available for purchase from our resellers
    around Australia and NZ. If you're unsure about your local Anyware
    reseller you can always call us (1300 ANYWARE: 1300 269 927) or visit
    our website for further information: www.anyware.com.au.

    As a special promo for you forum readers we'd like to offer you two
    special gifts if you purchase either the MG35 or the new MG350HD. All
    you need to do is send your proof of purchase along with your name,
    address and phone number to:

    Atomic Forum Mediagate Promo
    PO Box 9241
    Scoresby, VIC 3179

    and we'll send you a FREE AL Tech wireless optical mouse and a USB
    massage ball to say "thank you".

    Cheers! Jo @ Anyware Melbourne."

    (Similar message posted to AVSForum.com):

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7937172#post7937172

    which also has a heap of other information.

    Speculation is that the MG-350HD may be quite expensive compared to the
    MG-35
    -=rjh=-, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Paul

    Guest

    Re: ALTech MediaGate MG-35 Multimedia 3.5" IDE Hard Disk Drive Enclosure ?

    Does anyone have any information on if and when the MediaGate MG-350HD
    will be available in the United States? It's as if the only non-Korean
    information on the unit availability is coming from Australia and New
    Zealand.

    Cheers,

    Michael

    , Jul 7, 2006