    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
    (Ken Olson, president Digital Equipment, 1977)

    Jeff Gaines, May 20, 2010

  2. Jeff Gaines

    Eric Allen Guest

    On 5/20/2010 8:34 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:

    > As people may know MSFT are closing their news groups and trying to move
    > people to forums. It's not an attractive option, MSFT's NNTP bridge is
    > extremely slow and all the posts are in HTML unfortunately.
    >
    > There has been some discussion about this in
    > microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general so this is by way of a seeding
    > message to see if there is support for an alt group - perhaps
    > alt.windows64?

    alt.windows64 gets my vote

    Eric

    Eric Allen, May 20, 2010

  3. Jeff Gaines

    Phoenix Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2010 08:50:26 -0700, Eric Allen
    <> wrote:
    > On 5/20/2010 8:34 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
    > >
    > > As people may know MSFT are closing their news groups and trying

    to move
    > > people to forums. It's not an attractive option, MSFT's NNTP

    bridge is
    > > extremely slow and all the posts are in HTML unfortunately.
    > >
    > > There has been some discussion about this in
    > > microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general so this is by way of a

    seeding
    > > message to see if there is support for an alt group - perhaps
    > > alt.windows64?
    > >

    > alt.windows64 gets my vote

    > Eric

    Me too.

    Phoenix, May 20, 2010
  4. Maybe I'm just slow, but how do you get to alt.windows64?

    Google doesn't give me any hints.

    Bobby Johnson, May 20, 2010
  5. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 20/05/2010 in message <OBeAqtD#> Bobby
    Johnson wrote:

    >Maybe I'm just slow, but how do you get to alt.windows64?
    >
    >Google doesn't give me any hints.

    The group doesn't exist yet, alt.os.windows64bit might be a better name,
    suggestions appreciated :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

    Jeff Gaines, May 20, 2010
  6. I cast 1 vote for alt.os.windows64bit

    Hopefully those that participate will follow the intent of discussing
    strictly OS related items.

    Bobby Johnson, May 20, 2010
  7. alt.os.windows64bit if we have to be in the alt tree. But honestly, comp.
    would be better.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2010
  8. Jeff Gaines

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-05-20, Bobby Johnson <> wrote:
    > On 2010-05-20 12:54, Jeff Gaines wrote:
    >> On 20/05/2010 in message <OBeAqtD#> Bobby
    >> Johnson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Maybe I'm just slow, but how do you get to alt.windows64?
    >>>
    >>> Google doesn't give me any hints.

    >> The group doesn't exist yet, alt.os.windows64bit might be a better name,
    >> suggestions appreciated :)

    > I cast 1 vote for alt.os.windows64bit

    I'm not a Microsoft user - but that name would fit better with all the
    other alt.os.* groups (including some windows-related).

    > Hopefully those that participate will follow the intent of discussing
    > strictly OS related items.

    Of course! ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 20, 2010
  9. Jeff Gaines

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2010 13:07:37 -0400, Bobby Johnson
    <> scribbled:

    >I cast 1 vote for alt.os.windows64bit

    Now if only your votes meant shit...

    -= Hawk =-, May 20, 2010
  10. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 20/05/2010 in message <> Ted wrote:

    >Sounds like s good idea...
    >... until it gets attacked, and made next to useless, by a troll
    >determined to
    >destroy the group, as with the current alt.windows7.general group.

    They normally fade away if they're not fed.

    >A moderated group would be great, but is that even possible with alt
    >groups?

    Looks like it, there are several groups in the alt hierarchy with
    moderated in their name.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they

    Jeff Gaines, May 20, 2010
  11. Jeff Gaines

    someone Guest

    I don't find the NNTP slow using the bridge. Just right click on any group
    and then click on "Catch up." Loads in a second or two.

    someone, May 20, 2010
  12. I'm not particularly worried about trolls here. We've done a good job of
    keeping them from being an issue. Heck, even some who might be considered a
    troll in other groups have been most positive here.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2010
  13. Jeff Gaines

    Drew Guest

    I also like alt.os.windows64bit. How do I one click a billion votes?

    Drew, May 21, 2010
  14. Jeff Gaines

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2010 17:00:21 -0700, "Drew"
    <> scribbled:

    >I also like alt.os.windows64bit. How do I one click a billion votes?

    First you stick your head up your own ass, then you tongue your colon.

    -= Hawk =-, May 21, 2010
  15. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 30/05/2010 in message <>
    Gilbert wrote:

    >Hi, chaps,
    >Has anyone implemented (or planning to) alt.os.windows64bit?
    >Cheers, Tim.

    I think we are waiting to see if MSFT issues an rmgroup instruction for
    this group, and if it does whether any NSPs take any notice of it :)

    It may be worth having a group to meet in if this one does suddenly
    disappear....

    Jeff Gaines, May 30, 2010
  16. Jeff Gaines

    louise Guest

    On 5/20/2010 12:12 PM, Phoenix wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 May 2010 08:50:26 -0700, Eric Allen
    > <> wrote:
    >> On 5/20/2010 8:34 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
    >> >
    >> > As people may know MSFT are closing their news groups

    >> and trying

    > to move
    >> > people to forums. It's not an attractive option, MSFT's

    >> NNTP

    > bridge is
    >> > extremely slow and all the posts are in HTML unfortunately.
    >> >
    >> > There has been some discussion about this in
    >> > microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general so this is by way

    >> of a

    > seeding
    >> > message to see if there is support for an alt group -

    >> perhaps
    >> > alt.windows64?
    >> >

    >> alt.windows64 gets my vote

    >> --